Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS 75 TJW clip  (Read 6761 times)

LA the DJ

CBS 75 TJW clip
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2003, 03:02:42 PM »
Anyone else find it just really strange that CBS would even use a clip from this unsold pilot with Peter Tomarken (which I assume was meant to emulate Press your Luck), when most of the real episodes are intact? I mean, were I to go to first choice of a 5 second PYL clip to use, it would easily be a whammy running across the screen.

I was really disappointed with the show game show segment. I've said many times that I'm no big fan of panel shows, but shows from 1975-2000 other than TPiR were virtually non-existant. It was all old B&W panel shows, minus the 5 second Wink, Peter, and TJW clips. Did this have something to do with GSN holding airing rights to some of these shows or what?
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

mctoyboy

CBS 75 TJW clip
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2003, 03:08:59 PM »
Hmmmm......could be. If they used clips from what appears to be a couple of pilots, maybe CBS still owns the pilots outright and it was easier to use? =)
j

Matt Ottinger

CBS 75 TJW clip
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2003, 03:49:22 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 04:02 PM\'] Anyone else find it just really strange that CBS would even use a clip from this unsold pilot with Peter Tomarken (which I assume was meant to emulate Press your Luck), when most of the real episodes are intact? I mean, were I to go to first choice of a 5 second PYL clip to use, it would easily be a whammy running across the screen.

I was really disappointed with the show game show segment. I've said many times that I'm no big fan of panel shows, but shows from 1975-2000 other than TPiR were virtually non-existant. It was all old B&W panel shows, minus the 5 second Wink, Peter, and TJW clips. Did this have something to do with GSN holding airing rights to some of these shows or what? [/quote]
 What we have to remember is that game shows were not a high priority for the producers of the special.  Yes, they needed to recognize Bob Barker, but I'm sure the task of assembling the game show montage was given to somebody way down the totem pole, someone who may not actually have had much of a sense of the history of the shows in the first place.

My guess is that rather than culling through thousands of episodes of shows, they went to some archive of clips (the same archive used by other shows, from the sounds of things) and pieced together the CBS ones.  I wouldn't be surprised, nor particularly disappointed, to find out that the person assembling that package didn't know that there was an NBC version of Gambit or that the Tomarken clip wasn't actually from Press Your Luck.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

DrBear

CBS 75 TJW clip
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2003, 05:05:26 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 03:02 PM\']
I was really disappointed with the show game show segment. I've said many times that I'm no big fan of panel shows, but shows from 1975-2000 other than TPiR were virtually non-existant. It was all old B&W panel shows, minus the 5 second Wink, Peter, and TJW clips.
 [/quote]
 Well, duh! The idea in shows like this is nostalgia. They're appealing to the audience that wants to remember stuff, and if the idea of the show is 75 years, showing stuff from the last 25 or so isn't going to cut it.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Matt Ottinger

CBS 75 TJW clip
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2003, 05:59:47 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 06:05 PM\'] Well, duh! The idea in shows like this is nostalgia. They're appealing to the audience that wants to remember stuff, and if the idea of the show is 75 years, showing stuff from the last 25 or so isn't going to cut it. [/quote]
 Actually, the vast majority of the clips were taken from the seventies and eighties, generally considered the quality era for CBS scripted programming.  They were surprisingly light on current shows (you'd think they would use the special to plug a few of the newbies) and with notable exceptions like I Love Lucy, pretty light on the earlier stuff as well.

And for the record, the game show montage was not dominated by panel shows in general.  They showed several longer WML? clips in order to give us some famous Mystery Guest faces.  All that was given to TTTT and IGAS was a title card and voiceover of the name of the show.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PeterMarshallFan

CBS 75 TJW clip
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2003, 06:02:28 PM »
All I can say is--where did they dig up Strike it Rich, Bid-N-Buy, Quiz Kids, and I'll Buy That [the show w/ Mike Wallace]?! I gotta applaud CBS for digging up long-since forgotten clips like those that were thought to be completely lost.

uncamark

CBS 75 TJW clip
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2003, 06:21:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 05:59 PM\']Actually, the vast majority of the clips were taken from the seventies and eighties, generally considered the quality era for CBS scripted programming.  They were surprisingly light on current shows (you'd think they would use the special to plug a few of the newbies) and with notable exceptions like I Love Lucy, pretty light on the earlier stuff as well.[/quote]
And it seemed to me that the game show package was truncated on the fly to cover what seemed to be a technical bobble before the David Copperfield spot.  (They ran a promo coming out of the commercial, had a few crowd shots, went back to promos with the "CBS 75" logo bug still up and then abruptly went into Copperfield's spot).  Since the "WML?" clip of Jimmy Carter was in the opening (of course, from the syndie version, but...), I would assume that it was included in the package.

The reason for all this, of course, is so that the affiliates would have their late news on time on night four of the November sweeps, since there was no football overrun last night.

I would have assumed that a reality package had been scheduled but got cut in the process (Art Linkletter with the kids on "House Party," classic "Candid Camera," maybe even "The Verdict is Yours" and then jumping over the decades to "Survivor," "Big Brother" and "The Amazing Race").  I thought we would've seen more of "Survivor" than Jeff Probst holding up a ballot saying "Dave" and Richard Hatch doing-you-know-what on the Palua Tigu beach.

The find of the night for me had nothing to do with game shows--it was the clip from what I guess was the only color episode of "Burns and Allen."  That was great to see (and can TV Land air that ep some time?).

Winkfan

CBS 75 TJW clip
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2003, 11:41:00 PM »
I've said many times that I'm no big fan of panel shows, but shows from 1975-2000 other than TPiR were virtually non-existant. It was all old B&W panel shows, minus the 5 second Wink, Peter, and TJW clips.
Well, they did show about two or three seconds of Match Game, albeit from the 'Star Wheel' era. But they also excluded Collyer's Beat the Clock and DeWitt's Name That Tune. Somewhere up there, Bud and George are giving Mr. Paley a good yelling-at!

And if I were running the special, I would've said NO to Barker doing the GS segment, and YES to Martindale, Eubanks, and Tomarken doing it instead!

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Paola Diva of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:56:53 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

LA the DJ

CBS 75 TJW clip
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2003, 02:51:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 11:41 PM\'] [quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 03:02 PM\'] I've said many times that I'm no big fan of panel shows, but shows from 1975-2000 other than TPiR were virtually non-existant. It was all old B&W panel shows, minus the 5 second Wink, Peter, and TJW clips. [/quote]
Well, they did show about two or three seconds of Match Game, albeit from the 'Star Wheel' era. But they also excluded Collyer's Beat the Clock and DeWitt's Name That Tune. Somewhere up there, Bud and George are giving Mr. Paley a good yelling-at!

And if I were running the special, I would've said NO to Barker doing the GS segment, and YES to Martindale, Eubanks, and Tomarken doing it instead!

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Paola Diva of the Big Board!' [/quote]
 It would have been nice to see all three, really. But hey, it was nice to hear Rod Roddy introduce Bob one last time. I'm a little surprised there was no mention of Feud or CS, but then, both had versions on other networks (but then what about Gambit?).
Is it possible that the LVG clip could have come from a pilot as well? Perhaps it was shopped to CBS at one point.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

cweaver

CBS 75 TJW clip
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2003, 12:57:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 03:49 PM\'] What we have to remember is that game shows were not a high priority for the producers of the special.  Yes, they needed to recognize Bob Barker, but I'm sure the task of assembling the game show montage was given to somebody way down the totem pole, someone who may not actually have had much of a sense of the history of the shows in the first place. [/quote]
 ...which is a shame, because the rest of the special, even if it wasn't perfect, showed a deep respect for the network's history.  The producers of those NBC/ABC atrocities probably wouldn't have even shown Burns & Allen, Our Miss Brooks or Sgt. Bilko, or the first live drama clip from the 1950s.

cweaver

CBS 75 TJW clip
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2003, 01:01:54 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 06:21 PM\'] The find of the night for me had nothing to do with game shows--it was the clip from what I guess was the only color episode of "Burns and Allen."  That was great to see (and can TV Land air that ep some time?). [/quote]
 I was once told there were three or four "Burns and Allen" eps shot in color (all during the 1957-58 season) and they were something to see.  I know it took my breath away when I actually heard Harry Von Zell say "The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, in color!"  I had never seen that before and it was great.  And I think TV Land *does* have the rights, or did at one time.

tyshaun1

CBS 75 TJW clip
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2003, 06:34:22 PM »
If I am not mistaken, the credit for compiling the different  TV shows went to Andrew Solt. He and Peter T. were the of the producers for the 1984 NBC GS special, which might explain why a clip of Peter hosting the Rodeo Drive pilot made it into the game show clips, as well as many of the other classic shows. In fact, they were laid out almost the exact same way!

Tyshaun

Argo

CBS 75 TJW clip
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2003, 06:55:35 PM »
Speaking of game show packages from other specials reused for other specials, TPIR classic clips used on the 25th Anniversary Special have been popping up on other CBS specials, sometimes in the exact same order, or cut up abit. Even the effects from one clip to another were kept intact. On the first "Funny Flubs and Screw-Ups" with Patrick Duffy, they showed the same clips as on the 25th Special, but cut up a little, and very bad i might add.

I wish that CBS or TPIR would show some other clips for the show. "I Love the 70s" special used clips not before seen before, but nothing exciting happened.

But i was surprised to see less game show mention in the CBs 75th special than the TV City one, a few months ago. In that one, they even showed "CELEBRITY TABLE TENNIS" lol.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2003, 06:56:40 PM by Argo »