Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tapes question  (Read 6266 times)

mmb5

Tapes question
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 10:43:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'224508\' date=\'Aug 30 2009, 09:39 PM\']As far as "The Good Guys" that was done on film, IIRC, so there would be less of a chance than tape for deterioration.  IMDB says Paramount is the current rights holder.[/quote]
It's not listed as a current syndicated offering here.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Jimmy Owen

Tapes question
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 10:07:03 AM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'224519\' date=\'Aug 30 2009, 10:43 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'224508\' date=\'Aug 30 2009, 09:39 PM\']As far as "The Good Guys" that was done on film, IIRC, so there would be less of a chance than tape for deterioration.  IMDB says Paramount is the current rights holder.[/quote]
It's not listed as a current syndicated offering here.
[/quote]

Could be either an error by IMDB, or a show that is not in current circulation.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:09:20 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
Tapes question
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 10:20:45 AM »
IIRC, Paramount no longer has a TV division; the rights to their catalog belong to CBS TV Studios/Distribution.  (BTW, Trifecta Entertainment & Media now distributes Paramount's movies to TV.)  The only tie left between Paramount and CBS is the home video division, though who knows how much longer that will last.
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

Ian Wallis

Tapes question
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 05:31:10 PM »
My CBS affil cleared "Spin-Off." It was only "OK" in my book. I watched it for a week and then switched back to "Celebrity Sweepstakes."

Same here.  My love for Celebrity Sweepstakes was too strong so I didn't really give Spin-Off a chance, but I did see it a couple of times.

I don't hold out much hope of it ever appearing on GSN, but since I'm a collector I'd love to get my hands on an episode some day!  This is one of the '70s shows that we have no representation of in the trade curcuit.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

DjohnsonCB

Tapes question
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 06:28:38 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'224455\' date=\'Aug 30 2009, 01:59 PM\'][quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' post=\'224454\' date=\'Aug 30 2009, 01:40 PM\']This is cruel, cruel, cruel.  First the tapes of Spin-Off miraculously show up, now I'm told that even though they can be converted and broadcast, they likely won't be.  I could have done without this bad news this month.  Enough things went bad as it is, starting with the loss of my mother August 8.  What next--will someone have discovered that all the color masters of The Good Guys deteriorated beyond use???[/quote]
I hope and pray you're not saying Spin-Off is anywhere as important as your mother's passing.

I lost my sister on July 13 and there is NOTHING I have experienced in my almost 34 1/2 years on God's green Earth which compares to losing a sibling to cancer not two months from her 30th birthday.
[/quote]
Dear MikeK:

First of all, I am truly sorry about the loss of your sister.  Really.  Second, I am sorry if my comment offended you in any way, but for the record, my mother was 92 and her health was failing, so we were all glad that her suffering ended.  But the fact remains that there were a series of events which occured after the service that I could have done without at this time.  Don't want to go into detail about them here, but this whole will-Spin-Off-ever-turn-up-on-GSN-since-the-tapes-are-here-or-won't-it tease is just adding insult to injury...as is the sad fact that "Regis & Kelly" is still M.I.A. in Omaha.  Idiotic, KMTV, just idiotic that you thought you HAD to drop it and no other area station is after it yet.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Tapes question
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 06:32:11 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' post=\'224587\' date=\'Aug 31 2009, 03:28 PM\']Dear MikeK:[/quote]
Dude, we already know that the Earth's core is made of magma. You don't actually need to *look* at it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Tapes question
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 06:55:56 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' post=\'224587\' date=\'Aug 31 2009, 06:28 PM\']Don't want to go into detail about them here, but this whole will-Spin-Off-ever-turn-up-on-GSN-since-the-tapes-are-here-or-won't-it tease is just adding insult to injury...as is the sad fact that "Regis & Kelly" is still M.I.A. in Omaha.  Idiotic, KMTV, just idiotic that you thought you HAD to drop it and no other area station is after it yet.[/quote]
I would like to send my condolences on your mother's passing. It sounds like she lived a wonderful life.

But that being said, I wouldn't call what GSN did a tease. I remember them coming across the tapes, but I believe it was almost 10 years ago. I'd love to see the show (I sometimes prefer the rare, 1/8-season wonders over the perennials), but I can understand GSN's not wanting to take the effort to convert an obscure game show from nearly 35 years ago. 70s Pyramid episodes, yes. Gambit, absolutely, considering they show a new version of the show every night. Spin-Off, not quite as much.

Classic Hollywood Squares pulled horrible numbers. I'm sure Spin-Off would pull something in the negatives, given it has absolutely no history. Like I said to another poster on the Big Board, might be time to just let it go.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Eric Paddon

Tapes question
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 07:17:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'224580\' date=\'Aug 31 2009, 05:31 PM\']I don't hold out much hope of it ever appearing on GSN, but since I'm a collector I'd love to get my hands on an episode some day!  This is one of the '70s shows that we have no representation of in the trade curcuit.[/quote]

Other than one episode on audio only.     It's surprising that at least one episode didn't get out since I've found that if the show is from 75 at least, there tends to always be one episode that's gotten out.     It's the period of the early 70s when its too late for kinescopes and too early for home taping that more titles tend to be lost like the original SOTC (which has to be the longest running game show for which there is nothing, nada, zippo not even a pilot!)

For the record, "Spin-Off" was found in the same stash with CBS TJW which as we recall, GSN did convert but only aired the first few months of.     I always thought at the time the reason for not doing the same with "Spin-Off" was more of a rights issue.    

The tapes that have been found should at the very least be donated to either the UCLA TV Archive or the Museum of TV/Radio.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 07:19:32 PM by Eric Paddon »

mmb5

Tapes question
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 07:58:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'224599\' date=\'Aug 31 2009, 07:17 PM\']The tapes that have been found should at the very least be donated to either the UCLA TV Archive or the Museum of TV/Radio.[/quote]
Where they will also not be converted.  There's a ton of 2" they're sitting on.  Economics just aren't there.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

MrBuddwing

Tapes question
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 09:51:34 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'224606\' date=\'Aug 31 2009, 07:58 PM\'][quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'224599\' date=\'Aug 31 2009, 07:17 PM\']The tapes that have been found should at the very least be donated to either the UCLA TV Archive or the Museum of TV/Radio.[/quote]
Where they will also not be converted.  There's a ton of 2" they're sitting on.  Economics just aren't there.
[/quote]

Well, better someplace than no place, I always say. I'm thinking there's less of a chance an archive will end up junking the material, even if it's never converted from quad to a more accessible format. (I said "less of a chance," not "zero.")