Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Congress  (Read 10385 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Show Congress
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 08:43:52 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'223518\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 05:28 PM\']The wheel was spun and the 100 (closer to 50) guys who opted to go to the Congreff that Saturday night rather than go out on a date, spontaneously supplied the "boop boop boop" effect. Somewhere else at the Burbank Hilton was some other event which, by pure coincidence, had Bob Eubanks in attendance. Just as the Big Wheel was being spun, the other event let out. Someone spotted Mr. Eubanks on his way to his car, and he apparently took note of 50 grown men making "boop boop boop" sounds. Being taken somewhat aback at this sight, he high-tailed it into the parking lot.[/quote]
All of this said, I think I can out-geek it.

Last year at Penny Arcade Expo, I was at the Friday night concerts, where during the slow parts of some of the songs, people held up their cellphones, Nintendo DS's, and PSPs instead of lighters.

It was really kinda cool, because the reason we were there was because of a shared love for video games. Not so different here.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Congress
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 09:36:05 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'223509\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 03:51 PM\'][quote name=\'Game Show Man\' post=\'223506\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 03:07 PM\']This year, we are featuring a Game Show Design Workshop, giving folks a chance to help create one of more new formats.[/quote]
They're *still* pushing for that? Sigh.[/quote]
There is still the lingering question of who owns the resultant intellectual property. If you're serious about game development, my advice is to STAY AWAY!

ethanmx2

Game Show Congress
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 11:23:40 PM »
Definitely putting myself on the YAY list on going this year... will probably be my rookie year as attendee, player, and helper. I seriously can't wait to see it. Will definitely bring the camera(s), and plan to kick butt in the GST :P

By the way, what does one need to do to get on the panel of MG-L (if it will happen in some way shape or form)? I wouldn't mind taking the Patti seat and making a fool of myself. :P

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Congress
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 11:48:03 PM »
If I were doing it again it would simply be a matter of me knowing you. If someone else does it this year, it will be up to them.

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
Game Show Congress
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 09:41:06 AM »
I'd love to go, but the only way I can is if I'm called for Jeopardy!, and it's taping around that time but not on the same days.
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Game Show Congress
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 09:44:54 AM »
[quote name=\'ethanmx2\' post=\'223544\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 10:23 PM\']By the way, what does one need to do to get on the panel of MG-L (if it will happen in some way shape or form)? I wouldn't mind taking the Patti seat and making a fool of myself. :P[/quote]
Even if there's no organized MG-L in the way Chris C. presented it (which I was among those who had the privilege of participating), MG is usually part of the icebreaker Joe referenced earlier in this thread.  Participation in that is luck of the draw, but at least you'd have a shot.

/Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend this time around, but hoping for summer 2010.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

joshg

Game Show Congress
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 10:13:42 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'223499\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 12:23 PM\'][quote name=\'joshg\' post=\'223497\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 12:31 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'223496\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 10:51 AM\']Imagine 100 guys who can't get a date on a Saturday night standing around going "boop boop boop boop boop" in unison.

You think I'm kidding? It was enough to send Bob Eubanks running. Ask him.[/quote]

Excuse me!?!? Some of us were/are married...[/quote]
ISTR you weren't married at the time, bubba.
[/quote]
True, but I could have had a date with the (future) Mrs. G on that Saturday night if I wasn't sitting outside the Burbank Hilton/Marriott watching 50 people 'boop-boop-boop' while asking someone sitting near me 'Hey, is that Bob Eubanks walking by?' :-)

And to tie this all together, with the money I won from MG-L, I took the Mrs. and her cousin to the Daily Grill at that same hotel! Kevin Bacon my ass! It's the 6 degrees of Bob Eubanks!

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Game Show Congress
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 10:27:24 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'223523\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 08:43 PM\']All of this said, I think I can out-geek it.

Last year at Penny Arcade Expo, I was at the Friday night concerts, where during the slow parts of some of the songs, people held up their cellphones, Nintendo DS's, and PSPs instead of lighters.[/quote]
But I don't think it holds a candle (pun somewhat intended) to Tommy Tallarico leading a crowd--which was holding up similar paraphernalia--in an a cappella sing-along of the Super Mario Bros. overworld theme in a concert hall.

Despite all that, I'd still give the edge to scaring Bob Eubanks.
This signature is currently under construction.

uncleplinko

Game Show Congress
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 11:31:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' post=\'223506\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 06:07 PM\']Yes, we will do intend to put on the GST this year, so get your teams together, if you're interested.  We don't need help picking out the games, though some help with question writing (especially in my case :D) and with programming (just to take some of the pressure off of Travis, who's a phenomenal programmer, but I'm sure could use a little help).  An e-mail in my (and Gordon's and Travis') direction would be most appreciated for those interested in helping.[/quote]

I had to segment a Joe post to address a couple of things.  First, I will be attending, but I will NOT be hosting any games.  Instead, Loogaroo is taking over my hosting duties (and will be programming some games), leaving me open to be Tournament Director.

Second, this is gonna rock.

Plinko out.
HomeGameEntertainment.com
"Bringing The Contestant Experience Home"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Congress
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 02:58:14 PM »
with the money I won from MG-L, I took the Mrs. and her cousin to the Daily Grill at that same hotel!
Did you order Rice-A-Roni? Or have York Peppermint Patties for dessert? Or have your car Turtle Waxed during dinner?

Has a venue been selected for this, or is there any semblance of a program?

tvrandywest

Game Show Congress
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 03:26:50 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'223653\' date=\'Aug 21 2009, 11:58 AM\']Has a venue been selected for this, or is there any semblance of a program?[/quote]
I'd suggest that everybody go back and read the first post in the thread, but apparently the drop of blood in the shark tank has already begun the feeding frenzy. I only passed along the encouraging news of another GSC tentatively scheduled for that November weekend in L.A., suggesting that interested folks simply pencil-in the date and watch for further details.

As previous GSCs have been very well planned and executed (OK, Bob Stewart is still being edited in post, somebody's salad had too much dressing and there was a complaint about the PA system), I would have complete confidence that this one will be, as well.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 03:27:20 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Congress
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 03:38:45 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'223658\' date=\'Aug 21 2009, 12:26 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'223653\' date=\'Aug 21 2009, 11:58 AM\']Has a venue been selected for this, or is there any semblance of a program?[/quote]
I'd suggest that everybody go back and read the first post in the thread, but apparently the drop of blood in the shark tank has already begun the feeding frenzy. I only passed along the encouraging news of another GSC tentatively scheduled for that November weekend in L.A., suggesting that interested folks simply pencil-in the date and watch for further details.

As previous GSCs have been very well planned and executed (OK, Bob Stewart is still being edited in post, somebody's salad had too much dressing and there was a complaint about the PA system), I would have complete confidence that this one will be, as well.[/quote]
We already have someone taking over the hosting duties and someone who says he's Tournament Director, so I thought I'd ask.

Here is one unsolicited vote for the Burbank Hilton (the planes arriving at BUR* will take you right to your door -- literally).

*For the life of me I STILL refuse to call it the B** H*** airport, or studio 33 the B** B***** studio.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 03:43:21 PM by chris319 »

Matt Ottinger

Game Show Congress
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 04:08:26 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'223659\' date=\'Aug 21 2009, 03:38 PM\']We already have someone taking over the hosting duties and someone who says he's Tournament Director, so I thought I'd ask.[/quote]
Joe and his posse are only referring to their own Game Show Tournament, which can find a home in any available meeting room of whatever venue is ultimately chosen.  Taking nothing away from that team, their event is among the least of the logistical issues.

[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'223659\' date=\'Aug 21 2009, 03:38 PM\']Here is one unsolicited vote for the Burbank Hilton (the planes arriving at BUR* will take you right to your door -- literally).[/quote]
It's been done at the Hilton (now a Marriott) before, and my understanding has been that the move away from that venue was financially motivated.  But yeah, it would be the most convenient for fliers, especially now that a lot of food choices have opened up nearby in the last year or so.  Had been that if you didn't have a car, you were pretty much stuck with the hotel restaurant.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Congress
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 04:26:27 PM »
Joe and his posse are only referring to their own Game Show Tournament, which can find a home in any available meeting room of whatever venue is ultimately chosen. Taking nothing away from that team, their event is among the least of the logistical issues.
I see.

My unsolicited vote for the Hilton was due to the fact that I can likely get a favorable rate on a studio suite for the Perfect Ten run-thru, so it was motivated purely by self interest. My experience with the Beverly Garland was unfavorable due to the problems I had with the set-up crew in preparing the room I rented for Match Game.

I'm not sure the dining options are any better at the Garland, not that the Daily Grill at the Hilton is that bad. After Match Game some of us went to Little Tony's which is about two miles north on Vineland.

There is now a McDonald's across from the Burbank Hilton. You can taxi right up to the window in your 737 and get served -- literally.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 04:30:19 PM by chris319 »

Loogaroo

Game Show Congress
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2009, 04:44:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'223662\' date=\'Aug 21 2009, 04:08 PM\']It's been done at the Hilton (now a Marriott) before, and my understanding has been that the move away from that venue was financially motivated.  But yeah, it would be the most convenient for fliers, especially now that a lot of food choices have opened up nearby in the last year or so.  Had been that if you didn't have a car, you were pretty much stuck with the hotel restaurant.[/quote]

You may want to speak with Ben, my roommate. He works at said hotel and may be able to get you guys a better rate. I can give you his e-mail address if you'd like.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".