Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NEW PYRAMID CASTING.  (Read 60543 times)

Matt Ottinger

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2009, 09:30:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Game Show\' post=\'217830\' date=\'Jun 11 2009, 07:52 PM\']It says the audience will be on Camera, so it would appear we are looking at a Power of 10 type / Password type set.[/quote]
Not saying you're wrong, but that's a pretty big leap.  The audience was on camera for Win, Lose or Draw, for example.  In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if "audience will be on camera" is a pretty standard disclaimer for just about any game show.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mr. Game Show

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2009, 09:58:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'217851\' date=\'Jun 11 2009, 09:30 PM\'][quote name=\'Mr. Game Show\' post=\'217830\' date=\'Jun 11 2009, 07:52 PM\']It says the audience will be on Camera, so it would appear we are looking at a Power of 10 type / Password type set.[/quote]
Not saying you're wrong, but that's a pretty big leap.  The audience was on camera for Win, Lose or Draw, for example.  In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if "audience will be on camera" is a pretty standard disclaimer for just about any game show.
[/quote]

With the very specific dress instructions on the website, I'd be very surprised if its a disclaimer. Mr. Davies loves those dark, round sets. Not something I wanted to see with Pyramid. I hope I am wrong !

Hopefully, someone will attend the taping, and we will hear some details next week.

SteveR

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2009, 12:05:59 AM »
Somehow, I'm imagining the worst and that they might just have the contestants standing (like MDP).

I really hope I'm wrong.

chad1m

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2009, 12:12:18 AM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'217877\' date=\'Jun 12 2009, 12:05 AM\']Somehow, I'm imagining the worst and that they might just have the contestants standing (like MDP).[/quote]I didn't mind it. It would've been more awkward in that setting to sit. You could be much more animated and celebratory after a win on your feet.
And can we pleeease try to hold off on making rash judgments when we haven't even seen one iota of the product? A lot of us did that with MDP and a lot of us were surprised and enjoyed the show.

Don Howard

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2009, 12:16:15 AM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'217877\' date=\'Jun 12 2009, 12:05 AM\']Somehow, I'm imagining the worst and that they might just have the contestants standing[/quote]
Having the contestants switch from sitting to standing on Jeopardy! doesn't seem to have hurt the program at all since its 1984 return.
If that's the "worst" thing this program does, we're in for a jolly good show.

BillCullen1

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2009, 05:07:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Game Show\' post=\'217830\' date=\'Jun 11 2009, 07:52 PM\']Per the ticket website, the 4 Pilots will be taped next Tuesday and Wednesday, at Kaufman Astroria Studios. It says the audience will be on Camera, so it would appear we are looking at a Power of 10 type / Password type set. I'm starting to wonder if they will use remnants of the Power of 10 / Password Sets (as they both taped at Kaufman Astoria) to save money on the Pilots. I was hoping Mr Davies would avoid that look for Pyramid, but it may not be the case.

Is anyone planning on attending any of the tapings in person ? It would be great to hear about them ![/quote]

Well now that a location and phone number have been posted, I'll give it the old college try. I'll report back to the committee if I get in.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:07:57 PM by BillCullen1 »

MitchJoseph2004

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2009, 05:19:42 PM »
I have my spot reserved for the 3:30 Tuesday taping. Will give a report when I return.

SteveR

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2009, 08:27:26 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'217878\' date=\'Jun 12 2009, 12:12 AM\']I didn't mind it. It would've been more awkward in that setting to sit. You could be much more animated and celebratory after a win on your feet.
And can we pleeease try to hold off on making rash judgments when we haven't even seen one iota of the product? A lot of us did that with MDP and a lot of us were surprised and enjoyed the show.[/quote]
Trust me, I'm not going to base any part of my judgment a possible Pyramid return on whether they stand or sit. I'll be more happy that the show is back.

Offshored2007

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2009, 01:20:51 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'218056\' date=\'Jun 14 2009, 08:27 PM\'][quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'217878\' date=\'Jun 12 2009, 12:12 AM\']I didn't mind it. It would've been more awkward in that setting to sit. You could be much more animated and celebratory after a win on your feet.
And can we pleeease try to hold off on making rash judgments when we haven't even seen one iota of the product? A lot of us did that with MDP and a lot of us were surprised and enjoyed the show.[/quote]
Trust me, I'm not going to base any part of my judgment a possible Pyramid return on whether they stand or sit. I'll be more happy that the show is back.
[/quote]
Ditto.  It would be nice if the show will be taped in HD.  Given that it's being taped in Astoria, I doubt it.

Mr. Game Show

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2009, 12:19:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Offshored2007\' post=\'218079\' date=\'Jun 15 2009, 01:20 PM\'][quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'218056\' date=\'Jun 14 2009, 08:27 PM\'][quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'217878\' date=\'Jun 12 2009, 12:12 AM\']I didn't mind it. It would've been more awkward in that setting to sit. You could be much more animated and celebratory after a win on your feet.
[/quote]
Ditto.  It would be nice if the show will be taped in HD.  Given that it's being taped in Astoria, I doubt it.
[/quote]

Since it's only a Pilot, it's no biggie if it's not taped in HD, as the Pilot episodes are unlikely to be broadcast. Maybe we can hope to see the Pilots on YouTube ? :). However, if Pyramid goes to series, I am fairly certain that Kaufman Astoria, and the Video company that's used (I believe they bring in a Mobile truck for TV), has the ability to shoot in HD.

NickS

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2009, 08:20:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Game Show\' post=\'218132\' date=\'Jun 15 2009, 11:19 PM\']Since it's only a Pilot, it's no biggie if it's not taped in HD, as the Pilot episodes are unlikely to be broadcast. Maybe we can hope to see the Pilots on YouTube ? :). However, if Pyramid goes to series, I am fairly certain that Kaufman Astoria, and the Video company that's used (I believe they bring in a Mobile truck for TV), has the ability to shoot in HD.[/quote]

If both go in HD - great - but the only thing I see across CBS that's HD in the morning is TPiR, if I recall correctly.  I'd rather have a show *play* well first, then be in HD second.

peiboy91

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2009, 01:22:01 PM »
Interesting quote from Ken-Jen's blog: "I have to leave for the airport in a few minutes for New York and a game show thing I’m not sure if I’m allowed to mention."

Perhaps he'll be a celebrity player on the Pyramid pilot?

Pyramid80

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2009, 08:55:15 PM »
Any exciting news yet regarding the pilot?

MitchJoseph2004

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2009, 08:59:21 PM »
I just returned from the Kaufman-Astoria Studios (or as the show said, CBS Studios in New York) me recap my trip to The $1,000,000 Pyramid. I'm just going to start off by saying, Pyramid is Back... forget about Donnymid! Recap and link to set pics follow:

FORMAT:
Intro
Meet contestants
Categories
Round 1
COMMERCIAL
Winner's circle 1
COMMERCIAL
Round 2
COMMERCIAL
Winner's Circle 2
END

Host: Tim Vincent (Access Hollywood/Millionaire guest host)
Did a capable job... relied on prompter a lot; chalk it up to being day one. His British accent caused a couple of pick-ups to be done, a couple in particular included when a category was Mamma Mia (he said Ma-Ma Mia, and the other with a description of a category being homophones (he would say Homo-phones and picked it up as ha-ma-phones).

Announcer: Alan Kalter?? (just assuming... never heard the announcer, but Tim thanked "Alan" (spelled like that) at the top of each show and since Kalter is based in NYC, I'm taking a logical guess)

Music: Sounded like the classic $100,000 Pyramid theme to me (in the little snippets I heard, plus Susie Essman kept singing it)

Celebs: Susie Essman (both shows), Jessie Metcalf, Ken Jennings - All did a pretty good job. Jessie was a little slow at first, but became better as the game progressed - I had heard that the earlier tapings included Caroline Rahe and Norm McDonald

SET:
It's a lot like it was in the 80s/1990 version. Differences include: Audience is now seated along the sides behind the host and game-play area. Winners Circle and Category board now move in from the side of the stage to center stage when needed.  No "Light bulbs" but a lot of neon that sort of reminded me of Super Password; the main colors are white, purple, orange, and blue. During the Winner's Circle, the lights under the actual circle are Red, and comign in from commercial it chases red and white underneath. There are wood tones in the contestant desks and host lecturn. On the host's lecturn, is the $1,000,000 Pyramid logo (take the classic Pyramid logo and put in $1,000,000).
TRILONS for the main pyramid... the category pyramid has just screens in which the categories slide in to. When a category is picked, a stagehand slides the classic yellow pyramid on red background in during game play.
During the show, the stage is pretty bright with blues, purples, and oranges. Lights go down a bit during the Winner's Circle to mostly reds
In the intro, the "wings" from both sides of the pyramid come together to form a door in front of the big pyramid. The winner's circle flies in from off stage, doors open, and celebs walk out from either side (Essman was on the left side each time, and the males came from the right). Vincent came in from either side.

Game Play:
Classic 7 in :30 format. Judging seemed pretty normal. The Coo-Koo sound effect is back. When I was watching the monitors, it looked like a classic episode of Pyramid. Timer at top center in LCD-type and clue in Times font across the desk. The only in game bonus is the 7-11 during the first round. No bonus in the 2nd round. Celeb and contestant alternate in first two turns, then can choose giver/receiver in the last.

Winner's Circle: Nothing crazy... same classic style. Clock at top, category in a box at the bottom. Same classic camera angle too. Contestant and celeb choose who can give or receive.
Dollar Values:  
$750
$400  $500
$100   $200   $300
From what I could figure out was that the 1st trip was $25,000.... 2nd was for and additional $50,000. Returning champs - I think - a contestant won both times in taping 1, was back in taping 2 and Tim mentioned she had already taken home a big amount. How to get the million? The players are trying to earn a spot in the "League of Champions" to compete in a million dollar touney.

Notes: This excites me. I expected to see Donnymid Pt. II. This is classic Pyramid folks, right down to the set, music, and logo! I hope CBS picks this up and it enjoys a great run. The tapings ran long... they said arrive at 3:30 and to not be late, at 3:30 there were about 15 people in line... I think production folks had to find people off the street to come in. We didn't get in the studio until about 4:30. When we got in, they reshot a Winner's Circle w/ Caroline Rhea, in which the contestant won. That contestant didn't return for the next "show", which makes me question how long a person stays. But other than that, it was a fantastic afternoon/evening!

Want to see pics? Go here.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:12:27 PM by MitchJoseph2004 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2009, 09:07:34 PM »
Okay, seeing the set lit up makes it look SO much better. :)

/the drill
//the spit-sink
///the laughing gas
////the receptionist
/////the free toothbrushes
//////one friggin' "M"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe