Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Last night's "Password" rerun  (Read 4083 times)

geno57

Last night's "Password" rerun
« on: May 13, 2009, 05:54:21 PM »
On the overnight "Password" episode, Allen had a special announcement at the start of the program.  Afterwards, instead of the usual celebrities-introduce-civilian-players, they cut right to the announcer introducing Allen.

My DVR started late, so all I got was Allen saying, "...few from another week.  Watch."

Anybody know, what was the rest of it?

chad1m

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 05:59:32 PM »
Also about last night's "Password", did anyone else notice you could often hear the dings for correct answers 3 - 5 seconds before they happened? Does this have something to do with the quality of the tapes or something else that's wonky? </ignorance>

geno57

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 06:51:47 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'215662\' date=\'May 13 2009, 04:59 PM\']Also about last night's "Password", did anyone else notice you could often hear the dings for correct answers 3 - 5 seconds before they happened?  </ignorance>[/quote]

Audio from magnetic tape that's been in storage for a long time, will often "print through" to other layers.  You were hearing some of that print-through.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 10:51:44 PM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'215659\' date=\'May 13 2009, 05:54 PM\']On the overnight "Password" episode, Allen had a special announcement at the start of the program.  Afterwards, instead of the usual celebrities-introduce-civilian-players, they cut right to the announcer introducing Allen.

My DVR started late, so all I got was Allen saying, "...few from another week.  Watch."

Anybody know, what was the rest of it?[/quote]

Something funky happened at your cable system, I'm guessing.  I got the end of Allen's announcement (though not the beginning), then the usual intro w/Jack Cassidy and the other celeb introducing their partners.

I'm guessing that the announcement was introducing reruns.
czambo@mac.com

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
In the event you watch GSN with headphones, you'll notice this phenomenon on a number of shows like FF 88, Super Password, Match Game, etc.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 11:24:03 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'215702\' date=\'May 13 2009, 09:55 PM\']In the event you watch GSN with headphones, you'll notice this phenomenon on a number of shows like FF 88, Super Password, Match Game, etc.[/quote]
You don't even need headphones.  Watching some 1979 episodes of P+ (it's less evident in subsequent years), it's very audible.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Chief-O

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 12:26:27 AM »
I've heard this phenomenon on some various clips on YouTube. If this is what Geno mentioned earlier, it's some pretty crazy stuff. :P
.....and it goes like this!!!

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 12:34:19 AM »
Yeah, the same thing happens with a lot of the lesser-quality shows on the trade circuit, especially the crappy copy of Edwards Jackpot. During the black between segments, you can hear the next segment sort of "approaching", if you will.

"welcome back to welcome back to welcome back to welcome back to *fade in* Welcome back to..."
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

cmjb13

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 08:38:20 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'215662\' date=\'May 13 2009, 05:59 PM\']Also about last night's "Password", did anyone else notice you could often hear the dings for correct answers 3 - 5 seconds before they happened? Does this have something to do with the quality of the tapes or something else that's wonky? </ignorance>[/quote]
I used to hear that a lot on Now You See It
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 10:59:59 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'215734\' date=\'May 14 2009, 07:38 AM\'][quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'215662\' date=\'May 13 2009, 05:59 PM\']Also about last night's "Password", did anyone else notice you could often hear the dings for correct answers 3 - 5 seconds before they happened? Does this have something to do with the quality of the tapes or something else that's wonky? </ignorance>[/quote]
I used to hear that a lot on Now You See It
[/quote]
Yes, now that you mention it, I did too.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TimK2003

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 07:41:55 PM »
I'm not sure if it just limited to tapes that have been stored for awhile...I remember when I heard that magnetic "bleeding" during the fades from black o first run eps of TPIR.

I think it was just how the quality of the tape was back then.  I had the same thing occur on audio cassette tapes I had back in the day, but you had to have the volume cranked to hear it.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 08:40:51 PM »
With the advances in today's digital technology, couldn't they isolate the errant audio and mute it somewhat?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

geno57

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 02:14:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'216117\' date=\'May 19 2009, 07:40 PM\']With the advances in today's digital technology, couldn't they isolate the errant audio and mute it somewhat?[/quote]

Yeah, digital video cassettes don't seem to have the problem.  At least, I've never seen it, since I've been working with 'em.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 12:21:08 PM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'216140\' date=\'May 20 2009, 02:14 AM\']Yeah, digital video cassettes don't seem to have the problem.  At least, I've never seen it, since I've been working with 'em.[/quote]
I think Jimmy's talking abouit something different: Taking the existing problem from an old tape and editing the bad audio out with new technology.  

I'm not sure how good technology has gotten to isolate and remove an individual sound that's already been blended into a monaural audio track, but my guess is that whatever exists would still be tedious and maybe expensive and certainly not worth anybody's time unless it was vitally important.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.