Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Let's Make A Deal Pilot in the Works for CBS  (Read 23937 times)

joker316

Let's Make A Deal Pilot in the Works for CBS
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2009, 08:19:14 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'215019\' date=\'May 6 2009, 08:01 AM\']
There's rumors going round that "The Joker's Wild" is also one of the candidates, as I saw here:

http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopi...37&start=15
[/quote]
Now that works for me! Do it as a best 2 out of 3 games, winner plays the bonus and maybe earns extra spins on the way.

/just a thought.
//wonder why it works for me? Hmmmm
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

colonial

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2009, 08:25:44 AM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'215006\' date=\'May 5 2009, 10:21 PM\']

Back to CBS's fiddlings, am I the only one surprised they didn't decide to extend Bold and Beautiful and give half an hour back to affiliates? Seemed like the path of least resistance to me.
[/quote]

If you asked this question five years ago, I would agree with that sentiment.  Today, that's no longer the case.

In today's economic environment, as well as depressed ratings throughout the genre, it doesn't make sense to expand a current soap opera or add a sudser to the lineup.  All of the current sudsers have seen their budgets slashed in recent months (GL and ATWT changed the way they film to save money, Y&R and DOOL have booted 'legacy' cast members to save $$$, and ABC ordered an across-the-board salary cut for soap actors), so I doubt CBS would go against the grain and expand B&B.

JD

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2009, 08:32:30 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'215019\' date=\'May 6 2009, 07:01 AM\']
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'215016\' date=\'May 6 2009, 03:19 AM\']
First Pyramid gets consideration, than LMAD, now the Dating Game?  [/quote]

There's rumors going round that "The Joker's Wild" is also one of the candidates, as I saw here:

[/quote]Yeah, and I'm gonna get in bed with Heidi Klum tonight.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 08:33:21 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TimK2003

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2009, 08:58:38 AM »
Here's another former game show host that has yet to be discussed when it comes to being a viable LMAD host candidate -- George Gray.

He did a great job hosting Syndie Link, and I believe he can make a great wheeler-dealer when it comes to enticing people to go for the curtain or the box.  But I'm worried that he could be too persuasive and/or condescending -- None of the other LMAD hosts that I can recall (including Mark "Freakin Studs" DeCarlo) ever rubbed a bad deal in the faces of the contestants.  

De Carlo could be another viable candidate as well.  Just keep all of those Stoned-Stanley changes locked away and we're good to go.

tpirfan28

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2009, 09:22:30 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'215019\' date=\'May 6 2009, 08:01 AM\']
[/quote]
I call shenanigans on that, but I do think if two games are to fill a half-hour, a light game (LMAD, Dating) should pair up with a harder quiz (Pyramid, Joker), IMO.

I want the Challengers as a possible replacement.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2009, 09:39:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'215004\' date=\'May 5 2009, 09:35 PM\']This article from Variety suggests that a revival of The Dating Game might be paired with LMAD. I'd rather have Pyramid, but hey, it's still a game show.[/quote]
A little like CBS passing on the original Star Trek because "we already have a sci-fi show" -- Lost in Space.  I mean, on a very fundamental, base level, I guess you're right, but the difference between getting Pyramid or getting The Dating Game will be, for a lot of us, the difference between watching or not watching.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'215029\' date=\'May 6 2009, 09:39 AM\']
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'215004\' date=\'May 5 2009, 09:35 PM\']This article from Variety suggests that a revival of The Dating Game might be paired with LMAD. I'd rather have Pyramid, but hey, it's still a game show.[/quote]
A little like CBS passing on the original Star Trek because "we already have a sci-fi show" -- Lost in Space.  I mean, on a very fundamental, base level, I guess you're right, but the difference between getting Pyramid or getting The Dating Game will be, for a lot of us, the difference between watching or not watching.
[/quote]

If they introduced a hard quiz end game to TDG, maybe.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

colonial

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2009, 11:35:59 AM »
Didn't Michael Davies try and develop a Dating Game revival for GSN?  I'm curious if Davies is trying to pitch TDG to CBS as an alternative/companion to Pyramid.

TJW?  I'm a little skeptical about that rumor since we haven't heard anything from a trade or direct industry source, but it was reported some time back that Harry Friedman who, I believe, pitched a TJW revival for syndication a few years back (paired with Combination Lock), would consider pitching it again if the market was open to it.  Perhaps Friedman has the ears of The Eye?

JD

BrandonFG

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2009, 11:50:31 AM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'215039\' date=\'May 6 2009, 11:35 AM\']
t was reported some time back that Harry Friedman who, I believe, pitched a TJW revival for syndication a few years back (paired with Combination Lock), would consider pitching it again if the market was open to it.  [/quote]
Yep...I think clips from both pilots were shown during Wheel tapings in late-2006.

The Friedman connection could make sense, with him working on CBS Television Distribution's two biggest hits. But I'm not sold from another message board rumor.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:50:54 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Clay Zambo

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'215031\' date=\'May 6 2009, 09:48 AM\']
If they introduced a hard quiz end game to TDG, maybe.
[/quote]

Oh!  You said hard *quiz* end game.  Okay.  Whew.  I thought we were going in some Spice-channel direction there.

Wait, what?
czambo@mac.com

cmjb13

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2009, 11:57:26 AM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'215039\' date=\'May 6 2009, 11:35 AM\']
Didn't Michael Davies try and develop a Dating Game revival for GSN?  I'm curious if Davies is trying to pitch TDG to CBS as an alternative/companion to Pyramid.

TJW?  I'm a little skeptical about that rumor since we haven't heard anything from a trade or direct industry source, but it was reported some time back that Harry Friedman who, I believe, pitched a TJW revival for syndication a few years back (paired with Combination Lock), would consider pitching it again if the market was open to it.  Perhaps Friedman has the ears of The Eye?

JD
[/quote]
Remember this thread?  A few years ago when I was at wheel, they taped audience members reactions for the jokers wild, encouraged by IIRC, Mark Maxwell-Smith who worked on the original Joker's wild? No clips were shown.

On an unrelated note, did the combination lock pilot ever leak?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:58:06 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

itiparanoid13

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2009, 12:17:12 PM »
I heard all about the pilot a while ago and saw some pictures and things.  It was nothing remotely special in the pilot form.  It was a pretty boring "Match A, B, and C to 1, 2, and 3" over and over for different amounts of money.  It wasn't necessarily bad, just painfully boring and dull with no life whatsoever.  It was pretty obvious why it wasn't going to NATPE that year.

I've been pitching a slot machine show to some people recently.  Many brought up the Joker's Wild pilot and how it was really rough and just didn't work.  They wouldn't tell me what the show was like, though.

In regards to The Dating Game, that was Michael Davies originally for Lifetime as was Newlywed Game.  When Lifetime turned it down Sony took it to GSN and they bought Newlywed Game alone.  I didn't hear anything about TDG pilot, though
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 12:18:38 PM by itiparanoid13 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2009, 01:52:24 PM »
Honestly, with all the dating shows (Blind Date, Elimidate, Hell Date, etc.) that have been introduced just in the last ten years, I wonder if the original DG concept would work. Yeah, it might be fun for nostalgia, but it seems like it would be a bit too "tame" by today's standards.

They tried a "new" DG back in '96. It failed. They went back to the original format a year later. It failed (I think the ratings actually got worse), but limped into a third season. I'm not so sure what they can do in 2009 that didn't work 10-13 years ago. I think one reason Newlywed is working is because there haven't been a bajillion derivative concepts since it went off the air in the late-90s.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 01:53:52 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2009, 02:09:31 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'215006\' date=\'May 5 2009, 09:21 PM\']Back to CBS's fiddlings, am I the only one surprised they didn't decide to extend Bold and Beautiful and give half an hour back to affiliates? Seemed like the path of least resistance to me.[/quote]
I'm not.  Me thinks that a half-hour soap opera is more expensive to produce than a half hour game show like Pyramid or LMAD (and much more expensive than The Dating Game).

BrandonFG

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2009, 02:23:07 PM »
A little comparison of sorts...all wild speculation, feel free to fudge with the numbers as I kinda rushed this up...

[post=\"0\"]This thread[/post] mentions the Days of Our Lives budget, about $1.7 million per week. In the last 18 months, Guiding Light made a lot of cost-cutting moves, including more on-location shots, and shooting several different scenes within the same location, which means they saved a hell of a lot on set construction. I'd guess that with said changes, GL's budget might be about $1 million a week.

That alone would make DG a lot more desirable, considering the prize is a small trip, which is provided for next to, if not, nothing. However, even with a new $25,000 Pyramid, you look at, maybe, $250K at most if the Winner's Circle is won every single game on every episode of the week. Add the host and crew's salary, and celeb appearance fees, you're still at maybe $500K for the week? I doubt whoever hosts would pull in a Drew Carey salary...