Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DoND, 1 vs 100 & Rich List start in June on GSN  (Read 7041 times)

itiparanoid13

DoND, 1 vs 100 & Rich List start in June on GSN
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 09:15:07 AM »
Got another quick adjustment last night which takes place on May 18th.  $25K Pyramid airs at 10:30AM ET, Bingo America at 11:00AM ET, and Whammy! at 11:30AM ET.  Combs Feud is the only casualty, and LMAD gets a major cutback to weekends only.

tyshaun1

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 10:39:23 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'214708\' date=\'May 2 2009, 09:15 AM\']
Got another quick adjustment last night which takes place on May 18th.  $25K Pyramid airs at 10:30AM ET, Bingo America at 11:00AM ET, and Whammy! at 11:30AM ET.  Combs Feud is the only casualty, and LMAD gets a major cutback to weekends only.
[/quote]
So Alex, I remember not too long ago you referred to the schedule changes as having to do with a "Fremantle debacle"..... can you elaborate? It seems with them putting "Whammy!" in the 11:30AM time slot so soon after removing "Press Your Luck", that they may not have necessarily wanted to drop PYL.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 10:40:20 AM by tyshaun1 »

itiparanoid13

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 10:46:10 AM »
My basic understanding, as far as I'm being told, is that Fremantle is wanting a large sum of money for these shows and GSN isn't willing to pay it right now.  I was under the impression that over the years GSN's relationship with Sony was fractious but apparently that's passed somewhat and they're using that library a lot more.  I mean since I know a lot of the people that do Russian Roulette, I remember the fight it took to get the show back in reruns; they wanted to pair it with How Much is Enough but it took too long.  Something happened along the line there and they're getting a lot more of the Sony shows back suddenly.

I heard from one of my close inside sources that Fremantle was wanting a ton of money to even air clips of shows during the GSN Awards, but I have no idea if that's passed or not.  As far as I know, unless something changes, I'm not expecting a lot of different Fremantle shows on the network beyond what we've got now.  The contract for those shows was up in March and ready to be renewed, and it seems to have gone down hill since.

Whammy is still, for some inexplicable reason, one of GSN's highest rated shows so I guess they figure they can throw it there and catch the people who don't know better.  The Bingo America decision confuses me, though, since they have to pay winners of the show and it's never exactly been a big hit.  It's popular, but the ratings haven't nearly been as positive as Catch 21 and Newlywed Game which debuted to the highest ratings the network has seen since about 2002.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 10:48:11 AM by itiparanoid13 »

tyshaun1

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2009, 10:53:05 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'214711\' date=\'May 2 2009, 10:46 AM\']
Whammy is still, for some inexplicable reason, one of GSN's highest rated shows so I guess they figure they can throw it there and catch the people who don't know better.  The Bingo America decision confuses me, though, since they have to pay winners of the show and it's never exactly been a big hit.  It's popular, but the ratings haven't nearly been as positive as Catch 21 and Newlywed Game which debuted to the highest ratings the network has seen since about 2002.
[/quote]
That's interesting..... I'd have figured LMAD and PYL were under separate contracts since they debuted in August and September 2001, respectively. It is odd about Whammy!, since when it was on first-run, it quickly went from their highest rated original to their lowest rated and barely made it to season 2.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 10:57:05 AM by tyshaun1 »

TroubadourNando

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 08:07:33 PM »
That's an interesting thing to learn. Thanks for sharing it, Alex.

I wonder why Fremantle is suddenly demanding more money for stuff like PYL or even Match Game. It's not like other prospective buyers are clamoring to get reruns of those. I could understand wanting more for Price and maybe Feud, but I guess that isn't the case.

That's interesting..... I'd have figured LMAD and PYL were under separate contracts since they debuted in August and September 2001, respectively.

Wait... Fremantle owns Let's Make a Deal? I always thought NBC and/or Monty himself owned it still.

. It is odd about Whammy!, since when it was on first-run, it quickly went from their highest rated original to their lowest rated and barely made it to season 2.

Wasn't Season 2 only a way to cash in on the Larson craze of the time when it premiered?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 08:26:21 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'214737\' date=\'May 2 2009, 05:07 PM\']
I wonder why Fremantle is suddenly demanding more money for stuff like PYL or even Match Game.
[/quote]
Because there exists a network that depends on them for content?

What happens every time Match Game and PYL disappear from the network? "Oh, I loved that show with the blanks." "Hey, do they have the show with those red things? What were they? "Wallops" or something? I don't remember, but they were funnay."

This goes in circles. Negotiation time comes up, Fremantle jacks the price, GSN says "Okay, fine then, we can do it without them!" Then in a few months they realize they can't do it without them, and pony up. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 08:31:32 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'214737\' date=\'May 2 2009, 07:07 PM\']
That's interesting..... I'd have figured LMAD and PYL were under separate contracts since they debuted in August and September 2001, respectively.

Wait... Fremantle owns Let's Make a Deal? I always thought NBC and/or Monty himself owned it still.
[/quote]

Unless they bought the rights to the show in the interim between the GSM and now (IIRC they had to lease the rights to the format for the show), I think that Monty still owns it lock, stock, and barrel.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

itiparanoid13

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 10:07:49 PM »
Fremantle has bought LMAD and has big plans for it.  I'm getting all the info on it and you should hear early this coming week.

PYLdude

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2009, 10:09:27 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'214747\' date=\'May 2 2009, 09:07 PM\']
Fremantle has bought LMAD and has big plans for it.  I'm getting all the info on it and you should hear early this coming week.
[/quote]

So wait...this JUST happened?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

itiparanoid13

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2009, 10:11:09 PM »
The buying happened a bit ago.  The plans for the show I just found out today and I'm still trying to get more info before I throw an article together.

I kept quiet about the buying of the show because it really wasn't that important until I got a tip about events today.

I was at a Pirate game (we amazingly won) and got an email about it then.  Just trying to get a few more pieces of info.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 10:15:39 PM by itiparanoid13 »

TroubadourNando

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2009, 10:33:04 PM »
And here's America's Top Trader, TV's Big Dealer....DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CAREYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! ?

/is shot

chad1m

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2009, 10:37:27 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'214752\' date=\'May 2 2009, 10:33 PM\']And here's America's Top Trader, TV's Big Dealer....DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CAREYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! ?[/quote]I could see that and would think it would be a fine fit, actually.

PYLdude

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2009, 10:38:53 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'214754\' date=\'May 2 2009, 09:37 PM\']
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'214752\' date=\'May 2 2009, 10:33 PM\']And here's America's Top Trader, TV's Big Dealer....DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CAREYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! ?[/quote]I could see that and would think it would be a fine fit, actually.
[/quote]

So do I, because I think his personality would probably work better on a show like LMAD than it does on TPIR. And I LIKE Drew on TPIR.

chad1m

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2009, 10:39:20 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'214757\' date=\'May 2 2009, 10:38 PM\']So do I, because I think his personality would probably work better on a show like LMAD than it does on TPIR. And I LIKE Drew on TPIR.[/quote]To all of that, exxxactly.

TroubadourNando

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2009, 10:44:26 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'214758\' date=\'May 2 2009, 10:39 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'214757\' date=\'May 2 2009, 10:38 PM\']So do I, because I think his personality would probably work better on a show like LMAD than it does on TPIR. And I LIKE Drew on TPIR.[/quote]To all of that, exxxactly.
[/quote]

Thirded, in all truth. It seems like his environment.