Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which game show most suited the announcer?  (Read 9750 times)

TimK2003

Which game show most suited the announcer?
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2009, 08:45:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' post=\'214389\' date=\'Apr 29 2009, 06:05 PM\']
EoTVGS stated that Johnny Gilbert did serve as interim announcer on TPIR after Johnny O died.  Is this true or not?  If it's not.  Then he would have been a good fit after Johnny O.
[/quote]

I remember talking to Gene Wood back in '87, and since Johnny's passing came so sudden, Gene said G-T had to keep the show going on schedule, so initially (and I forgot who subbed first), they got whoever they could to fill in at the last minute, like with most other game shows at the time (and since there were a still a lot of game shows, they were still in the era where there were more needs than announcers).  

Shortly thereafter, they started to officially "audition" those who came in to sub, including Gene Wood, Rod Roddy, Rich Jeffries, and Johnny Gilbert (But I think Johnny subbed just to "fill-in" and before they were actively auditioning).

Since Johnny O's passing was so long ago, I'm trying to remember which audition period lasted longer -- Johnny O's or Rod Roddy's.  I want to say that the post-Roddy auditions were more pronounced (vote for your fave at CBS.com), but I still think the post-Olsen auditions went longer.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:47:53 PM by TimK2003 »

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2009, 11:42:19 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'214406\' date=\'Apr 29 2009, 08:45 PM\']I remember talking to Gene Wood back in '87, and since Johnny's passing came so sudden, Gene said G-T had to keep the show going on schedule, so initially (and I forgot who subbed first), they got whoever they could to fill in at the last minute, like with most other game shows at the time (and since there were a still a lot of game shows, they were still in the era where there were more needs than announcers).
[/quote]

Didn't Phil Hartman audition as well? I actually thought he wasn't a bad announcer, but that's just based off hearing him on the Pop & Rocker game.
Bobby Peacock

Gameshowcrackers

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2009, 07:41:29 AM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'214187\' date=\'Apr 27 2009, 02:46 PM\']
Gene was basically a freelance announcer who worked mostly for G-T. When Johnny O died, Gene for all intents and purposes became the voice of Mark Goodson Productions. Right up until FF went off with Dawson in '95, Gene was quite busy. .[/quote]

As well as Johnny and Gene, Bob Hilton was another who I personally rate as one of the really good announcers of the last golden era of game shows who was also a prolific announcer on GT packaged shows including The Price Is Right, Super Password, Password Plus, Card Sharks, Body Language, Childs Play, Trivia Trap and, of course, BLOCKBUSTERS. He also lent his vocals to an equal number of non GT shows.

[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'214187\' date=\'Apr 27 2009, 02:46 PM\']
He basically did WLoD because of his friendship with Bert Convy, but hey, it helped to pay his bills.[/quote]

I remember Gene saying that when he decided to take up the announcing duties on this show, he had to relinquish Love Connection and that Eric Lieber was not happy about it at the time.

[quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' post=\'214389\' date=\'Apr 29 2009, 05:05 PM\']
EoTVGS stated that Johnny Gilbert did serve as interim announcer on TPIR after Johnny O died.  Is this true or not?  If it's not.  Then he would have been a good fit after Johnny O.
[/quote]

I've checked in Steve Ryan and co's definitive encylopedia of TV Game Shows and according to this 'bible' not only did Johnny Gilbert fill in at the annoucer's podium following the death of Johnny O but so did Charlie O'Donnell on occasion. Does anyone recall Charile O doing the show or have footage of it?
This is Gameshowcrackers speaking for The Game Show Forum, a Mark Goodson Television Production

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2009, 12:35:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Gameshowcrackers\' post=\'214703\' date=\'May 2 2009, 07:41 AM\']I've checked in Steve Ryan and co's definitive encylopedia of TV Game Shows and according to this 'bible' not only did Johnny Gilbert fill in at the annoucer's podium following the death of Johnny O but so did Charlie O'Donnell on occasion. Does anyone recall Charile O doing the show or have footage of it?
[/quote]

I thought it was confirmed ages ago that Gilbert, O'Donnell and Hartman only ever held off-air auditions.
Bobby Peacock

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2009, 02:10:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Gameshowcrackers\' post=\'214703\' date=\'May 2 2009, 06:41 AM\']
I remember Gene saying that when he decided to take up the announcing duties on this show, he had to relinquish Love Connection and that Eric Lieber was not happy about it at the time.[/quote]Reading various online accounts, I seem to recall that Eric Lieber wasn't very happy, period.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TroubadourNando

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2009, 10:36:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'214461\' date=\'Apr 30 2009, 11:42 AM\']
Didn't Phil Hartman audition as well? I actually thought he wasn't a bad announcer, but that's just based off hearing him on the Pop & Rocker game.
[/quote]

He was pretty good, I thought. He was loud, but not in a bad way - really got your attention at the top of a show.

I have to admit though that I can't picture (hear?) Johnny Gilbert announcing Price. It just doesn't work in my mind.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 10:36:50 PM by TroubadourNando »

Gameshowcrackers

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2009, 11:03:39 AM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'214753\' date=\'May 2 2009, 09:36 PM\']

I have to admit though that I can't picture (hear?) Johnny Gilbert announcing Price. It just doesn't work in my mind.
[/quote]

I can.

THIS ISSSS JEOPARDY THE PRICE ISSSS RIGHHHT!

LOL
This is Gameshowcrackers speaking for The Game Show Forum, a Mark Goodson Television Production

TimK2003

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2009, 08:03:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Gameshowcrackers\' post=\'215037\' date=\'May 6 2009, 11:03 AM\'][quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'214753\' date=\'May 2 2009, 09:36 PM\']

I have to admit though that I can't picture (hear?) Johnny Gilbert announcing Price. It just doesn't work in my mind.[/quote]

I can.

THIS ISSSS JEOPARDY THE PRICE ISSSS RIGHHHT!

LOL
[/quote]

[JG] "Now entering Contestant's Row are these 4 people...A College Student, from Sacramento, California, Mary Smith....A College Student from Kent, Ohio, James Thomas...A Librarian...and College Student from College Station, Texas, Shawna Martin...And a returning contestant wannabe, whose cash spending on 5 trips to see The Price Is Right totals $6752, a College Student, from Princeton, New Jersey, George Johnson....[/JG]

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2009, 09:48:30 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'215110\' date=\'May 6 2009, 07:03 PM\'][JG] "Now entering Contestant's Row are these 4 people...A College Student, from Sacramento, California, Mary Smith....A College Student from Kent, Ohio, James Thomas...A Librarian...and College Student from College Station, Texas, Shawna Martin...And a returning contestant wannabe, whose cash spending on 5 trips to see The Price Is Right totals $6752, a College Student, from Princeton, New Jersey, George Johnson....[/JG][/quote]
Actually, Johnny working TPiR isn't such a stretch when you consider he worked SUPERMARKET SWEEP for awhile.  (And worked Cullen's TPiR when it moved to ABC because Don Pardo was exclusive to NBC.)

/OK, you're on.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Don Howard

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2009, 09:25:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Gameshowcrackers\' post=\'214181\' date=\'Apr 27 2009, 10:59 AM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'214096\' date=\'Apr 26 2009, 08:59 AM\']
Then, I realized that with daytime and nighttime Family Feud gone, he {Gene Wood} was down to just one show (Super Password) so of course he's gonna go for the dough {hosting Your Number's Up outside the G-T family} wherever it's available to him.[/quote]
Not strictly true. After the nighttime version of Feud finished in the fall of 85, as well as his duties on Super Password Gene also annouced the nighttime version of TPIR hosted by Tom Kennedy as well as Body Language, another TK emceed show (filling in for the late Johnny Olson).
[/quote]
It is indeed strictly true. When the two FFs went off the air, Johnny O. wasn't dead yet, so Gene had no way of knowing he'd get nighttime TPiR and BL added to his plate. And you don't fill in for someone who's passed away. You replace them....either temporarily or permanently.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 09:26:36 PM by Don Howard »