Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ideas to revive classic game shows  (Read 6756 times)

GS Warehouse

Ideas to revive classic game shows
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2009, 07:11:58 PM »
I've been away for a long time, but I have to put in my two cents here.  Last spring for CS's 30th anniversary, I developed my own idea for this that combined elements from all previous versions (yes, even 2001).  Ideally, best-of-three matches that straddle is best, but if you absolutely must do self-contained, I'd start each match with a warm-up round.  It starts by turning over the champion's base card, then asking him/her to pass or play.  Very simply, it's a round calling high-low without questions; if a player slips up or freezes, control goes to the other player and, if the last call was wrong, as a penalty he/she can change the base card.  First player to complete his/her line earns $500 in chips.

After the warm-up round comes classic CS, five cards per line, four high-low questions, with the high-low questions being a mix of human nature polls and educated guesses, maybe with a few visual questions.  Those are played the same as we're used to, except winning a question also earns $100 in chips, plus $500 in cash for a perfect guess ($100 in the case of a 10-person polling group, just like 1986-89).  For the play of the cards, I've thrown in some steroids: running the board on your first try in any five-card round is also a $500 cash bonus.  Each round is worth $500 in chips, with bonuses not counting toward the score.  First to $2,000 in chips wins the game.  If time is running out, the next question automatically becomes sudden death.  If neither player reaches $2,000 after that, each round from then on is three cards and one sudden-death question.  The question itself has no chip value, but the round is worth $1,000 in chips.  The winner takes his/her chips to the Money Cards--and I'd have him/her cut the cards on camera before going to break--while the other wins the obligatory parting gifts.

The structure for MC would depend on the prize budget--we're in a bad economy, remember?--so it could go anywhere from $250/$500 (with a max win $40,000) up to the $700/$700/$700 of the 2001 version, meaning a potential win of over $100,000 for seven cards ($102,200 to be exact).  If the budget won't let you spare an extra $2,000 to $3,000 every game, you could just spread the chips won in the front game evenly across the three levels (ex. $2,300 --> $800/$800/$700), but I know you people would prefer the player just keep their front game winnings and play the MC with house money.  One change per line with the next card off the top of the deck, and all doubles are pushes.  And finally, I would employ the Ken Jennings rule, i.e. champions can stay as long as they keep winning.

comicus

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2009, 07:35:29 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'211404\' date=\'Mar 28 2009, 07:11 PM\']
I've been away for a long time
[/quote]
Hadn't noticed.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2009, 07:43:15 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'211404\' date=\'Mar 28 2009, 06:11 PM\']
snip[/quote]After the tasteless remark you made about Randy Amasia (multiple times, might I add), I can't believe you'd come back here again.

Besides, I thought we were a bunch of egotistical self-centered jerks.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 07:43:42 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2009, 08:03:54 PM »
Ignoring the other stuff above (because I figure it's implied):

a) I don't see the point of the "warm-up" round. At all.

b) What's the deal with "chips?" There's no reason to assign any arbitrary unit of measurement to what is effectively money. There is nothing at all wrong with "Winner keeps their cash."

c) If you're going to insist the cards be cut on camera (and I have no idea why anyone would care), you're not going to do it before the break, you're going to do it after, immediately before they are dealt. Why? If you do it before, the savvy viewer knows that everyone is going to be standing around "during the break" doing nothing, and everyone else is subliminally going to get that same vibe; they might not be able to put their finger on exactly what's bugging them, but something will be. If you just say "Hey, Money Cards after the break!" without any lead in, y'all STILL might be standing around, but it's not nearly as ostentatious.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2009, 10:01:03 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'211404\' date=\'Mar 28 2009, 06:11 PM\']
I've been away for a long time, but I have to put in my two cents here.  
[/quote]

Why?

I honestly thought you were banned after your last to do. Which I'm sure isn't going to garner the apology it requires.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TroubadourNando

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2009, 10:45:46 PM »
Avoiding the crap-storm...

I thought I was the only one who kinda liked CS01 outside of its horrid gameplay. o_o

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2009, 12:40:30 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'211412\' date=\'Mar 28 2009, 10:45 PM\']
Avoiding the crap-storm...

I thought I was the only one who kinda liked CS01 outside of its horrid gameplay. o_o
[/quote]

I liked it ouside its horrid gameplay. And horridly bland host. And horridly bland models. And horridly bland set. And horridly uninspired bonus round. And horrid lack of drama. And horridly cheesy "Las vegas knockoff" logo. Other than all that it was good
Bobby Peacock

BrandonFG

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2009, 02:36:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'211430\' date=\'Mar 29 2009, 12:40 PM\']
I liked it ouside its horrid gameplay. And horridly bland host. And horridly bland models. And horridly bland set. And horridly uninspired bonus round. And horrid lack of drama. And horridly cheesy "Las vegas knockoff" logo. Other than all that it was good
[/quote]
I lol'd.

Welcome! :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

J.R.

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2009, 03:13:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'211430\' date=\'Mar 29 2009, 11:40 AM\']I liked it ouside its horrid gameplay. And horridly bland host. And horridly bland models. And horridly bland set. And horridly uninspired bonus round. And horrid lack of drama. And horridly cheesy "Las vegas knockoff" logo. Other than all that it was good.[/quote]
I think you'll fit in just fine here.

Seriously, that was great. :-)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 03:16:13 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2009, 07:26:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'211430\' date=\'Mar 29 2009, 09:40 AM\']I liked it ouside its horrid gameplay. And horridly bland host. And horridly bland models. And horridly bland set. And horridly uninspired bonus round. And horrid lack of drama. And horridly cheesy "Las vegas knockoff" logo. Other than all that it was good
[/quote]Wow, where have you BEEN all this time? That was quite an auspicious entry. Well done.

Regarding Card Sharks: Melange Edition, I really don't see the point. CS doesn't need a warm-up round. Calling the in-game currency "chips" and then telling everyone that the chips are now money seems an unnecessary complication. As are awarding money for a question that's meant to already payoff by awarding control. And then the convoluted "some money, er, chips count toward the finish line but some don't, and the finish line is too far to reach during a half hour show."

That's really an awful lot to ask of a viewer who has bought in to the premise.

For all the reasons to dislike Card Sharks: 2001 (and Gawd knows there were plenty of them) at least the game made sense. Everything worked together and had a purpose. There was nothing extraneous. Unfortunately they cut in the wrong places.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2009, 07:32:54 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'211447\' date=\'Mar 29 2009, 04:26 PM\']
And then the convoluted "some money, er, chips count toward the finish line but some don't, and the finish line is too far to reach during a half hour show."[/quote]
I suspect this was precisely why he's going for the "chips" metaphor; to differentiate between "score money" and "bonus money." Problem is that 47 billion other shows don't seem to have that problem without the strained comparison.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2009, 02:24:45 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'211447\' date=\'Mar 29 2009, 07:26 PM\']
[quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'211430\' date=\'Mar 29 2009, 09:40 AM\']I liked it ouside its horrid gameplay. And horridly bland host. And horridly bland models. And horridly bland set. And horridly uninspired bonus round. And horrid lack of drama. And horridly cheesy "Las vegas knockoff" logo. Other than all that it was good
[/quote]Wow, where have you BEEN all this time? That was quite an auspicious entry. Well done.[/quote]

I've been lurking for the most part. Wanted to get a feel for the forum.

Also, I just realized that my post essentially boils down to "Gary Kroeger was the only part of CS01 that didn't suck", which I think is totally true.
Bobby Peacock