Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who do you think could replace Barker?  (Read 11158 times)

cmjb13

Who do you think could replace Barker?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2003, 11:20:46 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Oct 25 2003, 10:57 AM\'] Actually, I'm starting to believe Bob's going to hang on until laser technology allows for a 3-D Holographic Bob to take over the show forever and ever. [/quote]
 I thought Season 40 would be a good goal to aim for, but was told that's a bit optimistic.

Then again, with a different host, they could reach Season 40.

Although with a new host, do we start at the season Barker left off, or start over?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tvrandywest

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2003, 11:39:50 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Oct 25 2003, 10:20 AM\']Although with a new host, do we start at the season Barker left off, or start over?[/quote]
This is why Prozac was invented.   ;-)

NOBODY can replace Barker, period. He has rare elegance and an unparalleled gift that has been honed and perfected on the air every weekday since 1956. As to the question of who could host TPIR after Bob's retirement (which I hope is way past this season - the only commitment he has made to my knowledge)... well, I agree that the question is getting old. I say Frank Nicotero. He's got much more life than Ray Combs!   ;-p

For whatever my opinion is worth, I've worked closely with quite a few hosts over the years. Todd has far better empathy, grace, and ad-lib skills than anyone around today. Don't judge him entirely on his Whammy! performance; there's so much more to Todd. And for the record, he's authentic - what you see on-air is what you get. I've never heard him comment negatively about anybody, at least not unless I start it   ;-)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 11:41:09 AM by tvrandywest »

ChuckNet

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2003, 11:40:50 AM »
Actually, I'm starting to believe Bob's going to hang on until laser technology allows for a 3-D Holographic Bob to take over the show forever and ever.

Kinda like the Claymation version of Mel Allen they used on This Week in Baseball after his death. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2003, 02:31:10 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Oct 25 2003, 07:52 AM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 25 2003, 05:55 AM\']
I thought Ray Combs would be perfect
I've always thought Dennis James would do a great job. [/quote]
No, he'd be too ethnic :)[/quote]
Rocco Rossi is headed for your house to rearrange your kneecaps.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2003, 02:40:29 PM »
I say Frank Nicotero.
Frank reminds me of Garrett Morris doing the hearing-impaired version of Weekend Update.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, I'll just say that some of you chillums might have been conceived around that time.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2003, 04:48:22 PM »
Last time this was asked, I suggested Vin Scully, but was told he is only a year or two younger than Barker (but actually, he'd be a GREAT host for a revival of To Tell The Truth or What's My Line?).  I don't know most of the current crop of hosts, so I'll take a stab in the dark and say Billy West, whom I only knew as an offscreen voice on the Screen Gems Network and Futurama (though the latter isn't a good barometer of how he'd do on TPIR).
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

tommycharles

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2003, 05:53:58 PM »
Well...Matt's usually the one to say this, but I'll jump in....

Bergeron will NOT host TPiR. Didn't he specifically say on the E! thing that he didn't want the "GS Host" stigma? And taking a game like TPiR would definatly apply that to him.

I could see him doing WLiiA (I know, that doesn't count) or Feud, but that's about all - it's highly unlikely that he'll take a GS after squares.

zachhoran

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2003, 07:30:34 PM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Oct 24 2003, 11:06 PM\'] but I think the Winker would fit the job well.  Him or Bergeron, I guess. [/quote]
 Wink is 69(on December 4th), might be too old for Fremantle to consider.

zachhoran

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2003, 07:33:34 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Oct 25 2003, 10:39 AM\'] As to the question of who could host TPIR after Bob's retirement (which I hope is way past this season - the only commitment he has made to my knowledge)... well, I agree that the question is getting old. I say Frank Nicotero. He's got much more life than Ray Combs!   ;-p

[/quote]
 Randy West should host with Bob Hilton(or let's hope, Rod Roddy) as the announcer :)

I think Bob renews his hosting committment on a year-to-year basis these days, no?

cmjb13

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2003, 07:56:35 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Oct 25 2003, 07:33 PM\'] I think Bob renews his hosting committment on a year-to-year basis these days, no? [/quote]
 You are correct.

He usually decides if he wants to continue in November/December
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Radiofreewill

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2003, 08:07:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 24 2003, 10:00 PM\'] Does hosting the show in one's living room count as experience?  If so, I'm your man! [/quote]
 You and me both, sir!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2003, 08:13:20 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Oct 25 2003, 05:53 PM\'] Well...Matt's usually the one to say this, but I'll jump in....

Bergeron will NOT host TPiR. Didn't he specifically say on the E! thing that he didn't want the "GS Host" stigma? And taking a game like TPiR would definatly apply that to him. [/quote]
 Thanks, Tommy.  It's amazing that people can remember these threads popping up every three months, but they can't remember what's actually being SAID in them.

Any list of potential hosts that is grounded the slightest bit in reality should NOT include Bergeron.  He doesn't want the job.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2003, 09:11:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 25 2003, 07:13 PM\'] Any list of potential hosts that is grounded the slightest bit in reality should NOT include Bergeron.  He doesn't want the job. [/quote]
 Let us not forget that regardless of whether or not H2 returns next season, Tom will almost certainly stay with AFV.  ABC can't get rid of it.  They tried, but it's too cheap.  FWIW, my guess is either Brad Garrett or Doug Davidson, only because they're both already on the CBS payroll.

cmjb13

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2003, 09:14:17 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Oct 25 2003, 09:11 PM\']FWIW, my guess is either Brad Garrett or Doug Davidson, only because they're both already on the CBS payroll.[/quote]
Davidson won't get the gig for the same reason Osmond and Bergeron (if he wanted it) won't.

They rely on cue cards. (Bergeron to a lesser extent)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 09:14:48 PM by cmjb13 »

MyCapableAssistant

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2003, 10:30:21 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Oct 25 2003, 09:39 AM\']NOBODY can replace Barker, period. He has rare elegance and an unparalleled gift [/quote]
I agree with Randy on this one. I can't think of
anyone who has the same grace, charm, and humor
that Barker does and who can provide the same entertainment.
Clearly, Barker is in a class all his own.

As for Todd Newton, I haven't seen enough of him to
comment one way or the other.

Has Bob Barker made any suggestions of who HE thinks might
best replace him when he retires? Perhaps HIS opinion might be
one to consider?

BTW, how old is Bob Eubanks? He's one name that came to mind
when I first read this thread. From what I've seen of him, he CAN
be entertaining, funny, personable, and charming...