Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More Winner's Circle clues  (Read 4476 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
More Winner's Circle clues
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 10:35:40 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' post=\'204387\' date=\'Dec 21 2008, 05:04 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'204385\' date=\'Dec 21 2008, 03:43 PM\']
The Detroit Lions would work.

(would Beck be too broad a clue?)
[/quote]

Beck should be fine. In the song, he said "I'm a loser.", so I don't see any problems.
[/quote]

True...but I'd be banking on the fact that my partner knows the song "Loser" as I do.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TenPoundHammer

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 04:09:15 PM »
Forgive the bump, but wouldn't "McCain and Palin" be buzzed since it's a prepositional phrase?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 05:11:44 PM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'209241\' date=\'Mar 1 2009, 04:09 PM\']Forgive the bump, but wouldn't "McCain and Palin" be buzzed since it's a prepositional phrase?[/quote]
Your English teacher would like a word with you.  "And" is not a preposition.  It is a conjunction.

/Cue the music.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TenPoundHammer

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 06:23:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'209258\' date=\'Mar 1 2009, 05:11 PM\']
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'209241\' date=\'Mar 1 2009, 04:09 PM\']Forgive the bump, but wouldn't "McCain and Palin" be buzzed since it's a prepositional phrase?[/quote]
Your English teacher would like a word with you.  "And" is not a preposition.  It is a conjunction.

/Cue the music.
[/quote]

Bleah. I meant conjunction. I swear, I'm having more brain farts than ever. Do they have Brain Beano for that?

Seriously, I was under the impression that conjunctions weren't allowed either. I know I've seen phrases with "and" buzzed on $25KP/$100KP.

tpirfan28

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 06:32:58 PM »

/Cue the music.
[/quote]

Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, how's that function?
I got three favorite cars
That get most of my job done.
Conjunction Junction, what's their function?
I got "and", "but", and "or",
They'll get you pretty far.

[spoken] "And":
That's an additive, like "this and that".

Gotta love it!
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

chad1m

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 06:35:02 PM »
Since it ain't done taught in the schools nowadays, I've been using Grammar Rock to teach the parts of speech to my middle school quiz bowl team. Pretty darn effective, even in the fast moving world of 2009.

Jay Temple

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 08:18:15 PM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'209273\' date=\'Mar 1 2009, 05:23 PM\']

/Cue the music.
[/quote]

Bleah. I meant conjunction. I swear, I'm having more brain farts than ever. Do they have Brain Beano for that?

Seriously, I was under the impression that conjunctions weren't allowed either. I know I've seen phrases with "and" buzzed on $25KP/$100KP.
[/quote]
Ordinary conjunctions were generally legal; subordinating conjunctions were not, because they generally turned into descriptions.

Example: THINGS ON A LICENSE PLATE (actual category)
Clue: the state in which it was made (actual buzzed clue)

As an example of prepositions and ordinary conjunctions, I give this.
Example: THINGS THAT ARE TRADED (actual category)
Legal clue (mine): Brock and Broglio
Illegal variant: Brock for Broglio
I suspect that the "description" rule got extended to prepositional phrases in general because they tended to be descriptions. In the above example, Lou Brock and Ernie Broglio are two players who were traded, no problem. In the latter, the meaning is that Lou Brock was traded for Ernie Broglio. "for Ernie Broglio" here modifies the verb "traded", not the noun "Lou Brock".
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TenPoundHammer

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 08:42:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'209293\' date=\'Mar 1 2009, 08:18 PM\']Ordinary conjunctions were generally legal; subordinating conjunctions were not, because they generally turned into descriptions.[/quote]

Huh. I distinctly remember "The Old Man and the Sea" being buzzed a clue for "Things on the Bottom", and the judge said it was because of the "and", not because it didn't fit the category. Like I said, I'm sure that I've seen other "and" clues, even ones like yours, get buzzed before.

mcsittel

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 09:38:35 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'209277\' date=\'Mar 1 2009, 05:35 PM\']
Since it ain't done taught in the schools nowadays, I've been using Grammar Rock to teach the parts of speech to my middle school quiz bowl team. Pretty darn effective, even in the fast moving world of 2009.
[/quote]

So what *have* your kids learned by that point?  I remember the joys of diagramming sentences in middle school... is that still taught?  I remember Grammar Rock being reinforcement of things learned in school, not a first exposure to it.   And this was public school... in the south... in the 70s... where most problems were dealt with by corporal punishment.  The good ol' days...  sigh.

/The password is GERUND

TenPoundHammer

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 09:47:25 PM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'209305\' date=\'Mar 1 2009, 09:38 PM\']So what *have* your kids learned by that point?  I remember the joys of diagramming sentences in middle school... is that still taught?[/quote]

It wasn't in the 1990s, this I know. Or at least not in backwater schools in Michigan.

[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'209305\' date=\'Mar 1 2009, 09:38 PM\']/The password is GERUND
[/quote]

Verb.... Ending...

Neumms

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2009, 03:43:48 PM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'209295\' date=\'Mar 1 2009, 08:42 PM\']
Huh. I distinctly remember "The Old Man and the Sea" being buzzed a clue for "Things on the Bottom", and the judge said it was because of the "and", not because it didn't fit the category.
[/quote]

Am I missing something, or how does that clue even make sense?

TenPoundHammer

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2009, 05:47:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'209351\' date=\'Mar 2 2009, 03:43 PM\']
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'209295\' date=\'Mar 1 2009, 08:42 PM\']
Huh. I distinctly remember "The Old Man and the Sea" being buzzed a clue for "Things on the Bottom", and the judge said it was because of the "and", not because it didn't fit the category.
[/quote]

Am I missing something, or how does that clue even make sense?
[/quote]

Hey, even if you were a celeb, would YOU always come up with great clues in 60 seconds on national television?