Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Syndie Outlook  (Read 8242 times)

tvwxman

Syndie Outlook
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2009, 07:28:24 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'206081\' date=\'Jan 12 2009, 02:57 PM\']
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'206078\' date=\'Jan 12 2009, 11:07 AM\']
Local weather, yeah, that's done well. Almost too well.[/quote]
Too well? Huh?
[/quote]
Unless you've got a direct line to God, who's telling you exactly what the forecast is, the correct response then is, never well enough. I speak this from tremendous amounts of experience.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

uncamark

Syndie Outlook
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 11:24:11 AM »
Could it be possible that "Wheel"'s contracts still keep stations from scheduling it before 5 p.m. (the clause put in to protect the network daytime version 25 years ago)?

Another thing about the situation in syndication is that there's no room for new first-run shows between 5 and 8 p.m. (7 p.m. in Central and Mountain)--barring any surprises, "Wheel," "J!", "ET," "Insider," "Access" and "Extra" are going to be in those time slots for years to come.  And the Fox/MyTV/CW/pure indie stations, despite some murmurs, are pretty much sticking to sitcom reruns in that time slot, except for "TMZ," local news and in Chicago "WWTBAM."  No real push to develop new programming in an instance like this.

As for "DOND," it's the top-rated new series in syndication and just barely out of the Top 20, so I would guess that it's going to a second season.

Neumms

Syndie Outlook
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2009, 01:36:03 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'206081\' date=\'Jan 12 2009, 02:57 PM\']
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'206078\' date=\'Jan 12 2009, 11:07 AM\']
Local weather, yeah, that's done well. Almost too well.[/quote]
Too well? Huh?
[/quote]

In Minneapolis, at any rate, stations sound the alerts when half an inch of snow may appear, or there's a twig down in an eighth ring suburb. They'll take the first 10 minutes of a newscast or interrupt programming at the slightest provocation if they can raise a scare out of it. That's TOO much coverage.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Syndie Outlook
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2009, 02:41:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'206131\' date=\'Jan 13 2009, 10:36 AM\']
In Minneapolis, at any rate, stations sound the alerts when half an inch of snow may appear, or there's a twig down in an eighth ring suburb. They'll take the first 10 minutes of a newscast or interrupt programming at the slightest provocation if they can raise a scare out of it. That's TOO much coverage.[/quote]
I will now stand to the side while WeatherMatt "educates" you as to the necessity of such intrusions. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Fedya

Syndie Outlook
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2009, 02:56:32 PM »
Breaking in to show us the Doppler Three Zillion radar and telling us how much longer it's going to snow is one thing.  An uninterrupted half-hour of obvious crap like "The roads are slippery", without actually giving us the forecast, is much more irritating.  (Yes, I've actually seen the latter.)

I wonder how long it will be until we start getting promos telling us that our children's lives depend upon watching the weather forecast of Action News/Eyewitness News/Newschannel X.  God knows local TV exploits children for everything else.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Syndie Outlook
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2009, 02:57:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'206137\' date=\'Jan 13 2009, 02:56 PM\']God knows local TV exploits children for everything else.[/quote]Uh, some examples?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Syndie Outlook
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2009, 03:06:39 PM »
I will now stand to the side so that the splashover from the lightning bolts WeatherMatt is about to throw doesn't strike me as well. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Fedya

Syndie Outlook
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2009, 04:27:48 PM »
Uh, some examples?
"Ten people died in an apartment fire.  Three of them were children."

I'm sure you've come across similar stories, albeit with different numbers.  One instance that made me want to reach the TV and bitch-slap the woman reading the news was when a story about communal violence in India (Muslims and Hindus going at each other) was prefaced by the number of children killed in that violence.

And Chris, I wouldn't blame the meteorologists for such promos.  That would fall squarely on the higher-ups.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Syndie Outlook
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2009, 04:30:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'206145\' date=\'Jan 13 2009, 04:27 PM\']
Uh, some examples?
"Ten people died in an apartment fire.  Three of them were children."[/quote]OH, OK.  In that regard, I completely agree.  I misread your original post of "exploitation" as the advertisements they run during programming, etc.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Kniwt

Syndie Outlook
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2009, 09:00:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'206145\' date=\'Jan 13 2009, 01:27 PM\']
And Chris, I wouldn't blame the meteorologists for such promos.  That would fall squarely on the higher-ups.
[/quote]

This calls for a return visit to the legendary WTNH Super Doppler promo (slightly nsfw):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oLglT3zD08

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Syndie Outlook
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2009, 09:48:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Kniwt\' post=\'206168\' date=\'Jan 13 2009, 09:00 PM\']
This calls for a return visit to the legendary WTNH Super Doppler promo (slightly nsfw):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oLglT3zD08
[/quote]

I haven't seen that in years.  I needed a good laugh at that particular moment of clickage.  Thanks. :-)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 09:49:20 PM by NicholasM79 »