Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Poll (?)  (Read 18727 times)

CarShark

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2008, 03:03:10 AM »
Wait a minute, don't change the subject here. The point at hand was why the "quick games" exist. Whether they're audience draws or not is immaterial to our discussion at this point.

(Now, I wasn't clear about when you said "roster," whether they were taking up one space in a grid of one hundred or so games that are there, or one out of the six games that can be played each day. I assumed you meant that the presence of quick games precludes the existence of other games that can co-exist on the Master Plan.)
Looking back, I realize that I said "roster" when I meant "line-up", as in the daily slotting of games. I'm not saying that the existence of quick games is the reason we don't have more longer games in the rotation.

Just because something existed 30 years ago doesn't mean it should still exist now.
Have you ever read Logan's Run?
[/quote]A cute joke, but not really pertinent to the current discussion. I'm not demanding everything of a certain age go. I'm saying re-evaluate them and their purpose. If the show was in a position where they didn't need to play a quick game to make sure a line-up timed right (I think it's 27 minutes now), since they don't add much excitement they could be retired with little negative effect.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 03:05:20 AM by CarShark »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2008, 06:59:07 AM »
If I had my choice, I'd kick out two games and one Showdown.
That's a good 12 minutes. Good gravy, what are you going to do with all that time? Bring out Kenny Rogers and have him do a song and sit down for an interview???

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2008, 09:21:31 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'204979\' date=\'Dec 28 2008, 10:35 PM\']I know what you meant there. Maybe I am. If I had my choice, I'd kick out two games and one Showdown. At least two of the games are non-entities like Double Prices or One Right Price, simply there to fill out a roster. The last month or so worth of line-ups have been filled with them. IMO, the show's going to have only two types of games: major prize games (for cars, cash) and quick games. If a game doesn't fit into either category, like Shell Game or Credit Card, they won't be featured. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they got retired.[/quote]
Wow, that certainly is a different analysis than this one.

EDIT:  Or this one, for that matter.

(For those who have forgotten, STYDfan and CarShark are the same person.)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 09:24:56 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2008, 09:34:08 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'204996\' date=\'Dec 29 2008, 05:59 AM\']
That's a good 12 minutes. Good gravy, what are you going to do with all that time? Bring out Kenny Rogers and have him do a song and sit down for an interview???
[/quote]
So long as he doesn't do "She Believes In Me."
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2008, 09:39:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'205027\' date=\'Dec 29 2008, 06:21 PM\']
Wow, that certainly is a different analysis than this one.

EDIT:  Or this one, for that matter.[/quote]
Because it's impossible for an opinion to change over the course of four and a half years.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2008, 09:43:08 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'205029\' date=\'Dec 29 2008, 09:39 PM\']Because it's impossible for an opinion to change over the course of four and a half years.[/quote]
Very true, but this always struck me as something he was posting to brag about, as though he were proud of having such a drastically different opinion than everyone else.

clemon79

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2008, 10:12:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'205031\' date=\'Dec 29 2008, 06:43 PM\']
Very true, but this always struck me as something he was posting to brag about, as though he were proud of having such a drastically different opinion than everyone else.[/quote]
He would also bestow the title of "Evil Personified" upon me six months later, so it's very possible that he was. Four and a half years ago.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2008, 10:29:49 PM »
Just because something existed 30 years ago doesn't mean it should still exist now.
Have you ever read Logan's Run?
A cute joke, but not really pertinent to the current discussion.
Oh, but it is. It proves that you either have no problem holding contradictory positions, or the English language matters not a whit to you. You're saying that "because it existed 30 years ago doesn't mean it should exist now" at the same time that you say that my "Logan's Run" reference isn't applicable, when it is. Double Prices is the oldest of the quick games. That is factually correct. If you want to argue that it shouldn't exist because it's too fast, or too plain, or it doesn't involve any goofy props or avatars, then that's fine. Argue that point. Don't argue that it sucks because it's old, because you've already had your cake and eaten it too.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 10:35:01 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2008, 10:33:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'205032\' date=\'Dec 29 2008, 10:12 PM\']He would also bestow the title of "Evil Personified" upon me six months later, so it's very possible that he was. Four and a half years ago.[/quote]
Well, then I'd still love to hear how his opinion did the 180 that it did, going from "Double Prices is the best game on the show" to "Double Prices is an unnecessary game that I wouldn't blame them for retiring."  I'm sure it's a very interesting explanation, especially given the unusual premise that he started out by proclaiming so strongly.

CarShark

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2008, 05:39:59 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'205034\' date=\'Dec 29 2008, 10:33 PM\']Well, then I'd still love to hear how his opinion did the 180 that it did, going from "Double Prices is the best game on the show" to "Double Prices is an unnecessary game that I wouldn't blame them for retiring."  I'm sure it's a very interesting explanation, especially given the unusual premise that he started out by proclaiming so strongly.
[/quote]When I first started watching the show, I did so primarily to see people win. (This was mentioned in the post you linked to.) I therefore gravitated towards the games that people won more often, and those are the quickies. I've grown to appreciate other aspects of the show besides just the wins, and also some of the longer, less won games. There are some longer games I don't like (Switcheroo immediately comes to mind with 3 Strikes closely following) because they aren't won often, but others I do (It's In The Bag and 1/2 Off). Uhhh...that's it, pretty much. BTW, I see through your phony "curiosity" and recognize your comment for the backhanded attempt on my character it was. Nice to see it backfire rather quickly, though. You can bet that one thing hasn't changed, Gavazzi. I still think you're a pompous, self-righteous jerk who's afraid of change. Take comfort in that.

Don't argue that it sucks because it's old, because you've already had your cake and eaten it too.
But I'm not arguing that at all. I'm arguing against your point that solely because of it's age means it's good or somehow worthy of not being retired.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 06:29:53 AM by CarShark »

clemon79

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2008, 01:17:27 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'205042\' date=\'Dec 30 2008, 02:39 AM\']
BTW, I see through your phony "curiosity" and recognize your comment for the backhanded attempt on my character it was. Nice to see it backfire rather quickly, though. You can bet that one thing hasn't changed, Gavazzi. I still think you're a pompous, self-righteous jerk who's afraid of change. Take comfort in that.[/quote]
You were doing so well before you stooped to this level.

(I mean that, seriously. You had this won.)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 01:18:02 PM by clemon79 »

CarShark

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2008, 01:51:21 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'205055\' date=\'Dec 30 2008, 01:17 PM\']
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'205042\' date=\'Dec 30 2008, 02:39 AM\']
BTW, I see through your phony "curiosity" and recognize your comment for the backhanded attempt on my character it was. Nice to see it backfire rather quickly, though. You can bet that one thing hasn't changed, Gavazzi. I still think you're a pompous, self-righteous jerk who's afraid of change. Take comfort in that.[/quote]
You were doing so well before you stooped to this level.

(I mean that, seriously. You had this won.)
[/quote]Frankly, I still do. He has no comeback. I just called Gavazzi out on his intellectual tap dancing. If he wanted to say that I'm an anti-social contrarian (and therefore shouldn't be listened to), he could have done so. Either say what you really mean or don't say anything at all.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 01:51:46 PM by CarShark »

J.R.

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2008, 01:58:52 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'205055\' date=\'Dec 30 2008, 12:17 PM\']You were doing so well before you stooped to this level.

(I mean that, seriously. You had this won.)[/quote]
The worse part is that wasn't in the initial response. It originally stopped at " Uhhh...that's it, pretty much."

/Isn't calling someone a "jerk" against the rules?
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2008, 02:15:59 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'205057\' date=\'Dec 30 2008, 10:51 AM\']
Frankly, I still do.[/quote]
Your opinion. Which in the court of public opinion means precisely nothing. I'm just pointing out what I see from where I sit, that's all. You were up three goals with a minute to go, and you just let in four. (In my opinion. Which also means precisely nothing.)

Joe: JMODO, but let the mods mod. Jumping up and down and yelling "Ooh, didn't that break Rule X?" is an irritating practice best left to people that I know you're better than.

uncamark

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2008, 04:08:42 PM »
The funny thing is that with the less program time they have, they still have added five unnecessary seconds of music and audience applause coming out of the last two breaks.  Granted, the crowd starts applauding the second they come out of break these days, but still...

I don't know if it'll make much of a difference, but I've long considered that it's time to cut the opening down, especially since the light box is gone in the switch to HD--start it with Rich calling the first contestant, cue the music and applause and you're off and running.  If Rich has to say "The Bob Barker Studio," say it either in introducing Drew or "From the Bob Barker Studio at Television City in Hollywood, this is Rich Fields speaking..."

Also, as nice as it is to see the models waving goodbye at the end, it seems like there's just too much video white space between the end of Rich's signoff and the animated Fremantle logo and the generic credits.  Why not tighten up the plug lists and make the affiliates that do news promos do them over the generics (and drop the network promos after the credits so they can do their beloved "CBS NewsChannel NewsCenter Action Eyewitness News at noon starts NOW!")?