Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I Love The '80s Strikes Back!  (Read 8089 times)

starcade

I Love The '80s Strikes Back!
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2003, 01:11:27 AM »
Not enough men were pleasuring themselves to Kari Wuhrer, and the rest of the show was, sadly, a joke...

*still remembering Colin Quinn and a female contestant mangling "Electric Youth" in the "Sing Along With Colin" round...*

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2003, 01:29:46 AM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Oct 25 2003, 11:11 PM\'] Not enough men were pleasuring themselves to Kari Wuhrer, [/quote]
 Well, it's good to know that I was, um, doing my part to keep Remote Control on the air... :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

inturnaround

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2003, 02:06:21 AM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Oct 26 2003, 01:11 AM\'] Not enough men were pleasuring themselves to Kari Wuhrer, and the rest of the show was, sadly, a joke...
 [/quote]
 Sadly? It was supposed to be a joke. Everything about it was a joke. I'm glad it was. It made me laugh from "Beat the Bishop" to  "Brady Physics" to "Dead or Canadian?".

I'm sorry you didn't get the joke. Still, a TV trivia game would be a good show to put somewhere. I'm surprised the idea hasn't been used since Couch Potatoes (save for the Chuck Woolery hosted TV Land shows)
Joe Coughlin     
Human

uncamark

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2003, 08:20:09 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Oct 26 2003, 02:06 AM\'][quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Oct 26 2003, 01:11 AM\'] Not enough men were pleasuring themselves to Kari Wuhrer, and the rest of the show was, sadly, a joke...
 [/quote]
Sadly? It was supposed to be a joke. Everything about it was a joke. I'm glad it was. It made me laugh from "Beat the Bishop" to  "Brady Physics" to "Dead or Canadian?".[/quote]
"GO POPE GO!  GO POPE GO!"

As already pointed out, "Remote Control" had a good run for an MTV show (except for "Real World" and "Road Rules," most shows on that channel have a short shelf life by definition).  The fact that the weekly syndicated version bombed didn't help it stay on MTV--and the fact that Ober and Quinn were obviously sick and tired of the whole thing in the last series probably sealed it.  Of course, if you'd taped 65 MTV shows and 13 syndicated shows over the course of a month, immediately left for a two-month live college "Remote Control" tour where you were doing the same material every night, and then come back to tape another 65 MTV episodes over a three-week period only a couple of weeks later, you'd be sick and tired of it too.

For those of you with memories of the days of live television, where the host had to do the show every day, and saying "What's their complaint?", the host in the live days was done in a half-hour in the morning with no retakes or pickups and then off to the track, Yankee Stadium or the bar in the afternoon, not taping five episodes in a day with possible retakes or pickups and then coming back the next day and doing it all over again for several days straight.

Fedya

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2003, 08:57:47 PM »
Jonathan Allen wrote:
Yes, Gadget WAS covered, but not Today's Special or The Raccoons (yet another Canadian kids' show which was also popular with American viewers). Maybe VH1 doesn't care about '70s/'80s Canadian pop culture after all with those two shows, SCTV, Circle Square, and 100 Huntley Street hitting the U.S. airwaves.

How could you forget Degrassi Junior High?  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

uncamark

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2003, 05:22:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Oct 26 2003, 08:57 PM\']Jonathan Allen wrote:
Yes, Gadget WAS covered, but not Today's Special or The Raccoons (yet another Canadian kids' show which was also popular with American viewers). Maybe VH1 doesn't care about '70s/'80s Canadian pop culture after all with those two shows, SCTV, Circle Square, and 100 Huntley Street hitting the U.S. airwaves.

How could you forget Degrassi Junior High?  :-)[/quote]
Turn on MTV Networks' sister channel Noggin/The N some evening--they haven't over there.

ChuckNet

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2003, 11:06:09 PM »
As for Today's Special - That was a Nickelodeon preschool show like Pinwheel was. Too bad it could have reinstated today on the Nickelodeon owned cable channel named Noggin/The N.

...which would actually be ideal, since TS was a 26-min. show (as opposed to the usual 22-23 min that a half-hr show usually adds up to) and Noggin is a non-commercial network. That and the fact that it was a damn good show. :-) Hocus-pocus, alimagocus!

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
« Last Edit: October 28, 2003, 11:07:18 PM by ChuckNet »