Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Has Lingo Season 3 started?  (Read 6690 times)

bandit_bobby

Has Lingo Season 3 started?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2003, 09:19:18 PM »
I would add a bonus where a team that got a word on the first guess a $500 bonus.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2003, 09:40:05 PM »
First:
The reason Lingo comes off as 'sterile' is probably because anything like flashing lights or jarring sounds is that it would get in the way.  Jeopardy is equal in this way.  There may not be huge production values, but the play-along aspect is enormous.  And if you play the game properly, it is more than a "modestly" intellectual game, it's very intellectual.  I'd rather have seen Lingo paired with Jeopardy than Wheel.

Second:
(give $500 to a team for a correct first-guess)
So, you're going to give a token sum to a player who gets a lucky guess?  Whatever.

Travis
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2003, 10:25:26 PM »
Travis is right, the huge positive Lingo has is the play-along value.  Even if you've never seen the show before, you watch for a minute and you're already yelling answers at the set.

Still (and yes, I know the horse I've been beating has been dead for some time), the current version sucks any additional fun for the viewer by arbitrarily playing to a time's-up signal and (so I've been told) having many stoppages during play that ruins whatever rhythm you ought to be establishing.
I would add a bonus where a team that got a word on the first guess a $500 bonus.
Yeah.  That'll solve everything.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2003, 10:26:11 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

melman1

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2003, 11:15:15 PM »
That is another thing I meant to mention - the element of time is clearly involved in the game (there's a time limit for each guess, and a time limit for each round), but you never see the clock.

Also, the "team play" element seems pointless.  The teammates are (apparently) supposed to alternate guesses, but invariably one whispers guesses to the other who then says them out loud.  What's that all about?  It would be much better as a one-on-one game.  With the host's podium between the players.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

uncamark

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2003, 04:11:49 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Oct 16 2003, 02:47 PM\']
Note also that the score display during bonus Lingo has vanished from the podium as well.

Well, more to the point, notice that the contestants are playing Bonus Lingo from their respective podiums instead of a separate bonus podium (hence the different camera angles and the placement of the board on the left-hand side of the screen).[/quote]
And of course, the old end game podium was just Chuck's podium with the laptop or monitor taken off, the hopper uncovered and the balls thrown in.  Same in both Burbank and Hilversum, but I don't recall a laptop or monitor on the Holland podium (but there were that tacky tote board, which was better-looking in the States podium).

Footix

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2003, 10:04:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 16 2003, 09:25 PM\']
Yeah.  That'll solve everything.[/quote]
So giving a $10,000 vacation as a bonus prize for pulling one ball out of a bin is OK, but offering $500 for guessing a word isn't?

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2003, 02:45:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Footix\' date=\'Oct 17 2003, 09:04 PM\']So giving a $10,000 vacation as a bonus prize for pulling one ball out of a bin is OK, but offering $500 for guessing a word isn't?[/quote]
When dropped, context-free, into the middle of a discussion on how to improve Lingo? No, not terribly OK.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Gromit

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2003, 05:45:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Footix\' date=\'Oct 17 2003, 07:04 PM\'] So giving a $10,000 vacation as a bonus prize for pulling one ball out of a bin is OK, but offering $500 for guessing a word isn't? [/quote]
 No, the bonus round is flawed as well. So the $500 bonus just compounds the randomness.

It's always bothered me that a team can do excellent in the end game, get six words or more, yet walk away as losers essentially if they pull the wrong balls (ahem), while some bozos who absolutely stink at the game can get one word, pull the right ball, and win the grand prize. More commonly, the prize is exactly the same for teams that get 3 words, or 9 in the end.

I'd propose something like this:

The secondary prize should be something like $1000 per word you got. You do lousy and get only 2 words, but are lucky in your pulls, you win $2000. You do phenomenal, get 9 words then bonus lingo, you win $9000.

For the grand prize, I'd like to see something where getting more words gave you more chances to win, rather than simply the one miracle pull which is the same for everybody. Something like where you get one extra chance at the trip for every word over five etc. So, getting 1 to 5 words means you get the trip if you lingo on your first ball, 6 words means you win the trip if you lingo on your first or second ball, 7 words gives your first three balls, etc. It'd be very simple to have Chuck explain "you got six words, that gives you *TWO* chances at the trip".

I doubt this would change the show budget much, lots of times you'd be giving away $2 to $4 thousand instead of the five they're giving now. In exchange, you'd give away a few more trips and more than $5000 sometimes. Adjust the number thresholds etc based on how common it is to get five words, six, seven etcm how many times they get the bonus lingo in 2 pulls, 3 pulls etc.

ITSBRY

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2003, 01:32:43 PM »
Here's an interesting question...now I know that a cable "season" isn't the same as a normal TV season, but is "Lingo" the only gameshow that's had a COMPLETELY different set for each of its seasons?

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

WhammyPower

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2003, 01:35:51 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Oct 18 2003, 12:32 PM\'] Here's an interesting question...now I know that a cable "season" isn't the same as a normal TV season, but is "Lingo" the only gameshow that's had a COMPLETELY different set for each of its seasons?[/quote]
I think you're right.... I can't think of a show with set changes that even comes CLOSE to every season except for Lingo.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2003, 01:36:09 PM by WhammyPower »

Neumms

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2003, 11:25:25 AM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Oct 16 2003, 10:15 PM\'] Also, the "team play" element seems pointless.  The teammates are (apparently) supposed to alternate guesses, but invariably one whispers guesses to the other who then says them out loud.  What's that all about?  It would be much better as a one-on-one game.  With the host's podium between the players. [/quote]
 Presumably they have two players because the game is hard enough to play with two, let alone one. They could always do it like Blockbusters and see if two heads are better than one. (Since I don't believe Blockbuster ever came to a definite conclusion on that point.)

Also, if they'd cast for more interesting players, there would be energy-filled interaction between them. Then maybe Chuck would have more to talk about, too.

Jay Temple

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2003, 01:31:28 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Oct 16 2003, 10:15 PM\'] Also, the "team play" element seems pointless.  The teammates are (apparently) supposed to alternate guesses, but invariably one whispers guesses to the other who then says them out loud.  What's that all about?  It would be much better as a one-on-one game.  With the host's podium between the players. [/quote]
 I read that when Family Feud was in development, they found that one person would run out of answers too quickly for the game to be interesting.  That's why they went to teams in the first place.  Making it families was just a really inspired way to implement that.  I suspect the same holds for the "team" concept for Lingo.  However, I agree that it ends up being meaningless in actual play.  I'd rather they just drop the pretense of taking turns.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

BrandonFG

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2003, 06:43:14 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Oct 18 2003, 12:32 PM\'] Here's an interesting question...now I know that a cable "season" isn't the same as a normal TV season, but is "Lingo" the only gameshow that's had a COMPLETELY different set for each of its seasons?

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com [/quote]
 Well, I know it was only 2 seasons, but didn't "Debt" use two sets for its seasons? Or was the gameboard the only change?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

zachhoran

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2003, 06:45:55 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Oct 20 2003, 05:43 PM\']
Well, I know it was only 2 seasons, but didn't "Debt" use two sets for its seasons? Or was the gameboard the only change? [/quote]
 As far as I recall ,the gameboard was the only change from season one to season two set-wise. Early in season one of course, the logo changed so as not to have it look like a certain national credit card's logo.