Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Forgotten hosts  (Read 5811 times)

ChuckNet

Forgotten hosts
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2008, 01:59:23 AM »
If Buxton did nothing but those two things in his life, he'd be a hero. I loved the Odd Couple/Password mashup, and don't get me started on Batfink.

However, he also rode herd over not ONE, but TWO of the more informative kids' shows of the 60's/70's... "Discovery '67", which aired on ABC, and "Hot Dog", for NBC. For the latter, Buxton drew on his connection/friendship with Woody Allen, who was one of the show's hosts. (Buxton was one of those involved with Allen's redubbed spy spoof, "What's Up Tiger Lily". Len "Karate" Maxwell was also on that project too.) The other hosts were Arte Johnson and JoAnne Worley, who were on the network elsewhere at the time. Buxton was in partnership with Lee Mendelson, who was the producer of the "Peanuts" specials, for "Hot Dog".

Was there anything Buxton didn't do? He also wrote/directed a number of 70s sitcoms, made countless TV/movie guest appearances, and was a 2-time guest on the Carson-era Tonight Show back in 72...quite a resume!

Chuck Donegan (The Impressed "Chuckie Baby")

Matt Ottinger

Forgotten hosts
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2008, 12:44:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'201743\' date=\'Nov 16 2008, 01:26 AM\']
Jim McKrell belongs on this list.   "Celebrity Sweepstakes" was a fairly successful show for its time, and yet after that, nothing in the way of significant hosting. [/quote]
Good choice, only in that case it's less a matter of wishing more of his stuff had survived than it is wishing there had been more stuff.

It's not as though he didn't have chances.  He appears to have been a 70s and 80s go-to guy for pilots, and in every one I've seen, he always comes across like he's been doing the show for years.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

DrBear

Forgotten hosts
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2008, 03:27:18 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'201727\' date=\'Nov 15 2008, 05:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'Tim L\' post=\'201622\' date=\'Nov 14 2008, 03:09 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'201600\' date=\'Nov 14 2008, 10:12 AM\']
Oh yeah, Frank Buxton. Another forgotten host, though he did write the classic Password episode of "Odd Couple"
[/quote] And also voiced the lead character in one of my favorite cartoon series as a kid..Batfink..("Your bullets cannot harm me..My wings are like a shield of steel")
[/quote]
If Buxton did nothing but those two things in his life, he'd be a hero. I loved the Odd Couple/Password mashup, and don't get me started on Batfink.

However, he also rode herd over not ONE, but TWO of the more informative kids' shows of the 60's/70's... "Discovery '67", which aired on ABC, and "Hot Dog", for NBC. For the latter, Buxton drew on his connection/friendship with Woody Allen, who was one of the show's hosts. (Buxton was one of those involved with Allen's redubbed spy spoof, "What's Up Tiger Lily". Len "Karate" Maxwell was also on that project too.) The other hosts were Arte Johnson and JoAnne Worley, who were on the network elsewhere at the time. Buxton was in partnership with Lee Mendelson, who was the producer of the "Peanuts" specials, for "Hot Dog". [/quote]

Whatever happened to Virginia Gibson...or Bill Owen...or for that matter, Corpuscle?

Oh and one more thing for Buxton - he wrote a very good show-by-show history of old-time radio, "The Big Broadcast."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Forgotten hosts
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 05:25:10 AM »
No mention of Betty White?

What was Bill Leyden's problem with Call My Bluff?

Had tragedy not intervened I think Peter Tomarken at least deserved an audition for TPIR.

The hosting of Jan Murray.
Imagine the puzzlement of Mr. & Mrs. Kent Clementson of Palo Alto, California when, circa 1960, the phrase "I'll tell ya dat right now", spoken with a distinct Bronx accent, crept into their five-year-old son's vocabulary. Around the same time, this precocious five year old, an ardent fan of the daytime television program "Charge Account", took to drawing 16-square grids on every available piece of scrap paper in the house. To the relief of his parents, the young fellow never asked his mother for a glass of Mogen David.

Today I look at goons like Richard Karn and Drew Carey. They make Jan Murray look like John Barrymore.

uncamark

Forgotten hosts
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 12:09:43 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'201887\' date=\'Nov 18 2008, 02:27 PM\']
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'201727\' date=\'Nov 15 2008, 05:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'Tim L\' post=\'201622\' date=\'Nov 14 2008, 03:09 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'201600\' date=\'Nov 14 2008, 10:12 AM\']
Oh yeah, Frank Buxton. Another forgotten host, though he did write the classic Password episode of "Odd Couple"
[/quote] And also voiced the lead character in one of my favorite cartoon series as a kid..Batfink..("Your bullets cannot harm me..My wings are like a shield of steel")
[/quote]

However, he also rode herd over not ONE, but TWO of the more informative kids' shows of the 60's/70's... "Discovery '67", which aired on ABC, and "Hot Dog", for NBC. For the latter, Buxton drew on his connection/friendship with Woody Allen, who was one of the show's hosts. (Buxton was one of those involved with Allen's redubbed spy spoof, "What's Up Tiger Lily". Len "Karate" Maxwell was also on that project too.) The other hosts were Arte Johnson and JoAnne Worley, who were on the network elsewhere at the time. Buxton was in partnership with Lee Mendelson, who was the producer of the "Peanuts" specials, for "Hot Dog". [/quote]

Whatever happened to Virginia Gibson...or Bill Owen...or for that matter, Corpuscle?[/quote]

Bill Owen was a staff announcer at ABC for a long time.  For a while, I believe he did "World News Tonight" and also filled in for Howard Cosell on radio--until this guy WABC just hired from Philadelphia to replace Cousin Brucie wanted a shot at filling in for [DAAANNN INGRAM!] the Coach [DI].  Guy was named George Michael.

Virginia Gibson is still alive at 80.  IMDB's last shown credit was a documentary on the making of the film "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," which she was in.