Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows and Taxes  (Read 9663 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Game Shows and Taxes
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2008, 02:36:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'200939\' date=\'Nov 3 2008, 02:11 PM\']
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'200937\' date=\'Nov 3 2008, 01:59 PM\']
No more calls, please, I think we have a winner.[/quote]
I don't know about that.  The 16th Amendment doesn't require an income tax, it merely allows for one.  Quoting it doesn't really answer the original question in any meaningful way whatsoever.
[/quote]

How doesn't it?

Game show winnings are earned income.

The 16th Amendment clearly implies some requirement, although not in so many words, and the phrase "from whatever source derived" clearly has to include game show winnings, no?

This question's been answered at least twice, if not three times, since it was posed and some people refuse to accept the answer.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Game Shows and Taxes
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2008, 02:44:45 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'200940\' date=\'Nov 3 2008, 03:22 PM\']
How doesn't it?
[/quote]

Because, like Matt said, it merely allows for one - "government has the power" is how it's written. It doesn't mandate all income is to be taxed.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Game Shows and Taxes
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2008, 02:51:50 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'200942\' date=\'Nov 3 2008, 02:30 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'200940\' date=\'Nov 3 2008, 03:22 PM\']
How doesn't it?
[/quote]

Because, like Matt said, it merely allows for one - "government has the power" is how it's written. It doesn't mandate all income is to be taxed.

-Jason
[/quote]

But the implication, as I stated in the post before this, is fairly clear that the government's power is not limited to just HAVING it.

You're reading way too much into the literal sense.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Shows and Taxes
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2008, 02:55:07 PM »
*cough*
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Game Shows and Taxes
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2008, 03:32:35 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'200945\' date=\'Nov 3 2008, 02:37 PM\']But the implication, as I stated in the post before this, is fairly clear that the government's power is not limited to just HAVING it.

You're reading way too much into the literal sense.[/quote]
Wow, you really want to go down this road?  Fine.

There are any number of exceptions on taxable income, and pretty much have been from the beginning.  Filing taxes would be a whole lot easier if there wasn't.  Right now, game show winnings do not happen to be one of those exceptions.  If Congress wanted it to be, they could pass a law saying so, and it would not violate the terms of the 16th Amendment.

This is so fundamentally basic a concept that it might turn up on Foxworthy's show.  Congress has the power.  They choose how to exercise that power.  In many ways, that's a lot of what tomorrow is all about.

Civics lesson is over.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.