Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: QuizBusters New Season, New Set  (Read 10183 times)

Dolemite3303

QuizBusters New Season, New Set
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2008, 04:00:06 PM »
Matt, I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of the people responsible for maintaining the Quizbusters archive files. I know shows from older seasons are regularly taken offline but I'm wondering what happens to them after that. The actual .rm files are relatively small and could easily be stored somewhere and I'd hate to think that several seasons' worth of shows were just outright deleted when the new seasons came along.

Worst case scenario I have to imagine the older shows still exist on actual tape and could be transferred to a digital format, but that'd probably be too much of a hassle for anyone to want to do.  I just think it'd be cool to be able to see entire shows dating back to even the late 80s and see how much the sets, questions, and teams have evolved over the years. If you could point me in the direction of someone who works with the website or archiving I would greatly appreciate it. It seems like quite a treasure trove of historical televised quizbowl and I know a lot of people who would be interested in sifting through it all.

I think my current email account is listed on here if you'd prefer to contact me that way.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 04:02:28 PM by Dolemite3303 »

rwalker

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2008, 07:26:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'197977\' date=\'Sep 23 2008, 03:10 PM\']
We start taping new games tonight and they won't air until late October, but I thought some of you might want to see what a quiz bowl set looks like in a small-town, midwestern PBS station.

I took some other shots I'll upload later, but here's one from the website.
[/quote]

Looks better(way better) than the Jeopardy Sushi bar of 1996!

Of course, it wouldn't take much. Might even put WWTBAM to shame, actually.

J.R.

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2008, 07:33:49 PM »
[quote name=\'rwalker\' post=\'198556\' date=\'Sep 30 2008, 06:26 PM\']Looks better(way better) than the Jeopardy Sushi bar of 1996![/quote]
Like anytime TTD90 is brought up, do people think it's fashionable around here to bash the 1996 J! set?

/I kinda liked the 1996 J! set myself
//Not saying TTD90 was good or anything...
-Joe Raygor

Dolemite3303

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2008, 05:31:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Dolemite3303\' post=\'198169\' date=\'Sep 25 2008, 04:06 PM\']
The level of parity that I'm pretty sure exists in the field right now should make for an interesting season.
[/quote]

I may have spoken too soon here. Kurtis left behind some pretty talented and fast players at East Lansing and they may be early favorites for the unprecedented four-peat. I'm hoping my alma mater, who did pretty well in their first game, can grab the championship this year though.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2008, 07:35:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Dolemite3303\' post=\'199334\' date=\'Oct 9 2008, 05:31 PM\'][quote name=\'Dolemite3303\' post=\'198169\' date=\'Sep 25 2008, 04:06 PM\']The level of parity that I'm pretty sure exists in the field right now should make for an interesting season.[/quote]I may have spoken too soon here. Kurtis left behind some pretty talented and fast players at East Lansing and they may be early favorites for the unprecedented four-peat. I'm hoping my alma mater, who did pretty well in their first game, can grab the championship this year though.[/quote]
Not that I'm supposed to comment on such things (and of course you're not "officially" supposed to be watching the episodes yet!), but I think you were right the first time.  We haven't even seen half of this year's teams so far, and I've already noted four schools that could easily take the championship this year.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chad1m

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2008, 02:31:36 PM »
Just a reminder that new episodes will be premiering in the mid-Michigan area this weekend. To go with the new set, the website's design has been renovated. Among the features: Clicking a team's link will show each team lineup for that school since season seventeen. [Hint: Click Kearsley. ;)]