Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Home Game Question  (Read 4254 times)

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
Home Game Question
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2003, 03:03:27 PM »
I recently talked with Kevin McNulty at Endless - one problem he has to deal with is that retailers - especially the big gorillas like Toys R Us and Wal-Mart - demand they keep costs down as low as possible to keep prices down, therefore, quality is sacrificed.

That would explain a great deal of things.  Something tells me the Endless gang would jump at the chance do a "deluxe" version of Card Sharks.

Maybe it's just me.

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

The Ol' Guy

Home Game Question
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2003, 03:39:29 PM »
Yeah - and working part-time at Toys R Us, I have the fun of seeing new games arrive and getting some background. I bought Password Junior and discovered that even the inner packaging had to be kept to a minimum to meet a cost point. For a bit, I thought Endless had just copied the Brittania Games (UK) version of Card Sharks (Play Your Cards Right), but I just saw on a UK website that their version has a two-tier plastic rack that holds the playing cards upright, where the Endless version uses a standard flat game board. Not great, but it helps keep the price point in line. We retail it for $9.99. One thing I have to say, though...those Brits sure put together some great home versions of TV shows. The US version of Blockbusters (one of my all-time favorites) came out when MB was really getting burned out on TV home games. I think it's lousy. They have their reasons, I'm sure. However, it's really worth ordering a Waddington's Blockbusters from Ebay UK, with their 3-D board and plastic insertable hexagon tiles. Grab the question book from your US edition and have a ball! The postage is murder, but the prices are reasonable. There are some nice games available - including some that didn't do well here, but did better in England, like Catch Phrase. Just note that the big drawback is that many of the quiz games are heavy on things like soccer matches and pop stars hardly any of our friends (or us) will have a clue about. Many of them are just nice to have in a collection.

alfonzos

Home Game Question
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2003, 07:07:50 PM »
I found the Waddingtons' version of Blockbusters at a Hollywood, CA thrift store for a couple of bucks about a decade ago. It is a stupendous production with a robust plastic gameboard and questions on cards. One production note: On the American version "V" is on the gameboard instead of "U."

BTW, if you want to play Lingo go to http://www.fiveletterword.com/ and make up your own gameboard!

Alfonzo Smith
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Jimmy Owen

Home Game Question
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2003, 07:50:20 PM »
Do you think the games are made so flimsy so that people will have to buy another when the first one wears out?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

The Ol' Guy

Home Game Question
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2003, 10:04:21 PM »
It's probably a balance of several factors that determine game quality. The parts needed to duplicate the action on the show, how much the public is willing to pay for a game of that type, and most important of all, it's potential longevity. At one point, Milton Bradley ran into a bad time where Break The Bank, Blockbusters, Now You See It, and a couple of others no sooner hit the store shelves than the shows were cancelled. No shows, no promotion. From then on, they backed off. Since game shows are so volatile, they're a high-risk box game venture. To protect themselves, they probably won't put much into them. For every Feud game sold in a day, probably 50 Yahtzees are sold. That's where the money is. I thought MILLIONAIRE by Pressman was a well-made recent game. Maybe not worth $25+ dollars, but good. I'm sure they felt they had a long-term winner on their hands, so the packaging was matchingly elaborate. This week, it's $6.98. I imagine Pressman did all right, tho, while the show was hot. Most of the current crop is pretty pedestrian, hoping to make the companies a few bucks before the shows disappear again. Pressman can't lose much with their new Wheel and Jeopardy games, since they're re-using the production dies. What Endless does that is smart is sell most of their tv games as nostalgia items. Millions of us grew up with The Newlywed Game and Password, so even if only a few hundred thousand folks bother to watch the re-runs on GSN, they can still appeal to the memories of those without GSN. It's probably why we won't see home versions of GSN originals.