Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Article on TPIR  (Read 12937 times)

TroubadourNando

Article on TPIR
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2008, 10:17:48 PM »
Okay, yeah, I went over the top. So, I'm sorry, truly. Been under a crapload of stress lately (the fact that I lost money in one of the recent bank failures should give you a taste) and all the constant fighting over Price....I guess it just got under my skin and I snapped.

Now that I can think a little more clearly, I can clarify what I meant: I have no problem with the actual idea of pie-to-the-face comedy. The impression I got from this report was that it was a normal showcase that had absolutely nothing to do with pieing that had it thrown in for no real reason---that's what I'm concerned about. If they did something like, say...."how our models avoid an encounter with the pie-throwing vigilante of Studio 33", at least it would have some context to it.

Matt Ottinger

Article on TPIR
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2008, 10:41:20 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'198423\' date=\'Sep 28 2008, 10:17 PM\']
If they did something like, say...."how our models avoid an encounter with the pie-throwing vigilante of Studio 33", at least it would have some context to it.[/quote]
I'm no expert in slapstick comedy, but I believe that's called "telegraphing" the joke.  If you start out by saying "Hey look, it's a pie-throwing Showcase!", then you've taken some of the fun out of it from the start, because we're expecting pies to be thrown.

Still, neither one of us knows exactly what happened.  Either way, I doubt TPIR is going to become a haven for pie throwing.  This was almost certainly a one-time wacky comedy bit.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Timsterino

Article on TPIR
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2008, 12:11:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'198419\' date=\'Sep 28 2008, 09:33 PM\']
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'198414\' date=\'Sep 28 2008, 08:19 PM\']And this is precisely why constructive discussions over this never take place.[/quote]
His opinion is that TPIR is a sufficiently low-brow form of entertainment that pies in the face are acceptable.  That's it.  He wasn't attacking you, he was sharing an opposite opinion from yours.
[/quote]

Thanks, Matt. That was exactly my point.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 12:13:28 AM by Timsterino »

Casey Buck

Article on TPIR
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2008, 12:14:46 AM »
Actually, there are more wacky Showcase sketches to come.

Drew appeared on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson last week, and showed a clip of a showcase where Rich appears on camera, and reads the prize copy in different funny ways.

Clip located here (with spoilers of an upcoming showcase): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRhIyc6HpPY

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Article on TPIR
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2008, 12:28:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'198430\' date=\'Sep 29 2008, 12:14 AM\']a showcase where Rich appears on camera, and reads the prize copy in different funny ways.[/quote]
Nifty.  I wouldn't mind if that becomes a somewhat frequent occurrence.
This signature is currently under construction.

MTCesquire

Article on TPIR
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2008, 02:22:24 AM »
So the Showcases are pretty much going back to being somewhat creative again as opposed to just "your showcase are all prizes associated with the word (blank)".  And this is a bad thing?  

Oh yeah, the object of this game is take one thing about TPIR and try to make that the turning point where the show begins to fall apart.  Apparently that's more fun than actually watching the show.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Article on TPIR
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2008, 03:48:44 AM »
I would be more than happy to clean the pie off the models after said pie fight.

Don't know about the rest of y'all.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

Article on TPIR
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2008, 08:21:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'198430\' date=\'Sep 29 2008, 12:14 AM\']
Drew appeared on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson last week, and showed a clip of a showcase where Rich appears on camera, and reads the prize copy in different funny ways.
[/quote]
As opposed to him merely speaking off camera, and reading the prize copy in different funny ways? ;-)

Seriously, I like that they're including Rich more...almost as if they're starting a new TPiR big happy family.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvwxman

Article on TPIR
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2008, 09:44:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'198431\' date=\'Sep 29 2008, 12:28 AM\']
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'198430\' date=\'Sep 29 2008, 12:14 AM\']a showcase where Rich appears on camera, and reads the prize copy in different funny ways.[/quote]
Nifty.  I wouldn't mind if that becomes a somewhat frequent occurrence.
[/quote]
Someone write this date down. I actually agree with Mello.

Let them have fun. Isn't that what it's all about? Entertainment?

Oh, and seriously, before the next flame war starts, because y'all know it wil come back, just put Willy on ignore. Your sanity thanks you.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Article on TPIR
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2008, 11:33:13 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'198444\' date=\'Sep 29 2008, 05:21 AM\']
As opposed to him merely speaking off camera, and reading the prize copy in different funny ways? ;-)[/quote]
See, I was looking for the joke there, and I couldn't figure out how to word it *just* right. This was it. Bravo. Bravissimo. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Article on TPIR
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2008, 02:32:42 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'198456\' date=\'Sep 29 2008, 11:33 AM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'198444\' date=\'Sep 29 2008, 05:21 AM\']
As opposed to him merely speaking off camera, and reading the prize copy in different funny ways? ;-)[/quote]
See, I was looking for the joke there, and I couldn't figure out how to word it *just* right. This was it. Bravo. Bravissimo. :)
[/quote]
(bows)

Thank yew, sir. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

rwalker

Article on TPIR
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'198407\' date=\'Sep 28 2008, 07:19 PM\']
The only thing I'm concerned about right now out of that lot is the "Random pie fight" showcase thing. I can see that it might be an attempt to bring back Showcase Skits...and that IS a worthwhile thing... but people being randomly hit with pies just for the sake of doing it isn't anything like Nitwork or Kaptain Klutz. I hope this is a one-off thing and any "skits" past it are more creative.

The French Kiss thing seems weird but I'm not going to be concerned unless it becomes regular... and that would take a pretty damn big box of Phillips.
[/quote]

Those are 3.99 btw, just saw them on Baggie.(lmfao)

/It was there
//Some people need chill pills more than that. A life offline and outside might be good too.

rwalker

Article on TPIR
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2008, 07:21:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'198430\' date=\'Sep 29 2008, 12:14 AM\']
Actually, there are more wacky Showcase sketches to come.

Clip located here (with spoilers of an upcoming showcase): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRhIyc6HpPY
[/quote]

Oh, I bet Fieldsy already has it posted to her site! At least they are trying to throw back to the 70s era...on this one. The pie deal, sounds like a farce at best. I'll wait to watch it when it airs(What's the airdate btw?) before I regurgitate all over the place

:D

Oh, and seriously, before the next flame war starts, because y'all know it wil come back, just put Willy on ignore. Your sanity thanks you.

Why? I am lmao at his foolishness! It's the best cheap entertainment on any msg. board I've seen in a minute. Even beats the morons over on the GSN boards hands down!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 07:26:13 PM by rwalker »

Speedy G

Article on TPIR
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2008, 08:21:56 PM »
[quote name=\'MTCesquire\' post=\'198435\' date=\'Sep 29 2008, 02:22 AM\']
Oh yeah, the object of this game is take one thing about TPIR and try to make that the turning point where the show begins to fall apart.  Apparently that's more fun than actually watching the show.
[/quote]
OMG!  They went to commercial at 46:15 instead of 46:30!  Commercials have ruined the show!  I'm never watching the Price is Right again.

*pouts*
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

BillCullen1

Article on TPIR
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2008, 11:33:56 AM »
[quote name=\'rwalker\' post=\'198489\' date=\'Sep 29 2008, 07:21 PM\']

Why? I am lmao at his foolishness! It's the best cheap entertainment on any msg. board I've seen in a minute. Even beats the morons over on the GSN boards hands down!
[/quote]

You are aware that there are some GSN board people who post here as well, no.