Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Barry & Enright Library  (Read 2543 times)

nate80s

The Barry & Enright Library
« on: August 04, 2008, 05:21:19 PM »
Now that GSN airs Tic Tac Dough, does this mean that this is the only show they can air from the Barry & Enright library? Or can they air other B&E shows too?

Nate

TroubadourNando

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 09:50:48 PM »
[quote name=\'nate80s\' post=\'193338\' date=\'Aug 4 2008, 05:21 PM\']
Now that GSN airs Tic Tac Dough, does this mean that this is the only show they can air from the Barry & Enright library? Or can they air other B&E shows too?

Nate
[/quote]

More than likely it is the only one they choose to show presently. The Joker's Wild and Bullseye appeared in the last Viewer's Choice marathon.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 11:23:19 PM »
[quote name=\'nate80s\' post=\'193338\' date=\'Aug 4 2008, 04:21 PM\']

Nate
[/quote]

Among a lot of folks, there seems to be a good deal of confusion over the terms "can air" and "want to air".

GSN *can* air TJW - they just don't *want to*.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 11:25:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'193373\' date=\'Aug 4 2008, 08:23 PM\']
GSN *can* air TJW - they just don't *want to*.[/quote]
Do we know that for certain, that they currently hold the broadcast rights to the entire B&E catalog? It's possible they bought TTD piecemeal, isn't it?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 06:41:21 AM »
Internet lore says because they are only partially-owned by Sony, GSN has to buy the airing rights to the B&E shows from Sony.  I always found that to be absurd, as GSN is probably the only cable network interested in vintage game shows.  Why not just let GSN have the shows on a barter deal and have Sony derive the cash from spots sold?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

mmb5

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 09:00:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'193393\' date=\'Aug 5 2008, 06:41 AM\']
Internet lore says because they are only partially-owned by Sony, GSN has to buy the airing rights to the B&E shows from Sony.  I always found that to be absurd, as GSN is probably the only cable network interested in vintage game shows.  Why not just let GSN have the shows on a barter deal and have Sony derive the cash from spots sold?
[/quote]
You apparently have never, ever dealt with accountants.  At one time, my company was wholly owned by someone else.  We still had to buy our inventory with cash from them.

Not that I know 100% or even 10%, but I'm guessing Liberty probably drives the business decisions, since they are much more in the cable biz than Sony is, hence the piecemeal leasing rather than a blanket deal.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 10:21:50 AM »
Yeah, I understand the point, but wouldn't your parent company get a little upset if you purchased more of your inventory from a different supplier than your parent company?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

mmb5

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 12:19:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'193408\' date=\'Aug 5 2008, 10:21 AM\']
Yeah, I understand the point, but wouldn't your parent company get a little upset if you purchased more of your inventory from a different supplier than your parent company?
[/quote]
This may come as a complete and utter shock to everyone here, but the CD/DVD distribution business is an oligopoly.  We would have paid the same no matter who we used.  What you essentially bargain for is service, or more importantly, how often you don't screw up.

It's moot now since we are separate companies -- but we still buy from them.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.