Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Most Disappointing Series Premiere...Ever!  (Read 10142 times)

davemackey

The Most Disappointing Series Premiere...Ever!
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2008, 11:10:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'192396\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 11:30 AM\']
Did anyone else here watching Battlestars then wonder what happened to Bob Quigley?
And upon learing that Merrill's company produced it, did you then wonder what happened to Kenny Williams?
[/quote]
Bob Quigley had retired, and I think Ken either was ill or retired by the time "Battlestars" came on. (He died in the early 80's; his last show was "Las Vegas Gambit".)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2008, 02:41:11 PM »
GSN's Throat and Neck.
More recently:  Moment of Truth

Shows from the past 20 years-too easy to be disappointed. I'll go old school. "Magnificent Marble Machine" High hopes dashed by boring front game and unrealistic looking machine. "Hot Seat" Too flimsy and no play along. "The Better Sex" didn't seem as fun as it should have been.

I didn't even see Hot Seat until the premiere episode hit the trade curcuit years ago (my local affiliate didn't carry it at the time).  Didn't miss much.

I always thought The Better Sex was a fun show which maybe should have had a longer run; but to each his own.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2008, 02:49:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'193747\' date=\'Aug 10 2008, 11:41 AM\']
GSN's Throat and Neck.[/quote]
I'll buy this. To this day I would hit Rebecca Grant so hard that my phone keypad would break.
More recently:  Moment of Truth
On the other hand, in order to be disappointed here you have to have harbored some semblance of hope for the show in the first place. Which suggests a certain naivete.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

comicus

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2008, 05:56:36 PM »
100%.  "Oh, this'll be decent, a British import, straight quizzer, Casey Kasum hosting..."

I'd taped it to watch that evening, with the intent of recording it daily off WTTA.  That didn't happen.  I think I had to burn the tape to exorcise the demons that show hath wrought.

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »
In the current crop of shows, Temptation turned me off from show #1. Can't believe that Hernandez told me at the time it was actually going to be a good show with all those changes. That was NOT $ale, even to someone like me who wasn't big on $ale in the first place.

Without Prejudice... interesting experiment, but no, too dark. Couldn't get into it after the first show.

Card Sharks '01, yeah, agreed.

And I've never watched Moment of Truth or 5th Grader from the get go. Truth is too evil, and 5th is a mockery of the education system for me, worse than the system sometimes is to itself these days.

Past shows, I'll put in votes for Time Machine and Gong Show with "True" Don Bleu. In the words of the opening theme...

"We're not bad, we ain't tough, but this thing just ain't good enough. We're gonna GONG IT! *GONG*"
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

Justin Dyer

« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2008, 11:05:44 PM »
Already mentioned several times: Card Sharks 01. And also TJW 90. I remember being excited for a long time about TJW 90. I was such a huge fan of the original TJW when I was a kid. I looked forward to seeing it for so long. And then it came. And I thought YUCK!

Two game shows that have been mentioned here that I liked: Body Language and Match Game 99.

Justin

CeleTheRef

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2008, 11:28:23 PM »
From here in Italy I can't watch any American gameshow besides those aired on CBS5, but I could tell something about a revival of Pyramid we had last December.  It was just like the original except the following:

pairs were made out of unaquainted civilians picked from the audience (TPIR style)

if a team was ahead of 4 or more points at the end of a round, the scores were reset to zero and each member of the other team had a 1 in 3 chance to be replaced by someone from the audience.   ("Impressive result, team! Now, not only you lose your advantage, but you could even face stronger opponents")

at the end of the front game, each player in the winning team still had a 1 in 5 chance to be arbitrarily replaced by a (very) lucky random person from the audience. ("Congratulations! You won! Now please go away and have that guy over there play for the money")

The first episode was pretty much the last I watched.  Thankfully Wheel of Fortune started shortly afterwards on another network.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 11:42:11 PM by CeleTheRef »