Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Most Disappointing Series Premiere...Ever!  (Read 10183 times)

Jay Temple

The Most Disappointing Series Premiere...Ever!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 09:01:29 AM »
Merv Griffin's Crosswords
Temptation
How Much Is Enough

To be fair, I didn't really plan on watching those daily, but I taped the pilots for the heck of it.

TJW90
Monopoly

Show Me the Money
. It wasn't that I wouldn't have watched it at all, but I had decided it wasn't worth looking for. I think I did catch part of another episode.

Moment of Truth. Kind of unfair to include this one. I hated the premise alone so much that I didn't want to watch it in the first place, but my wife and I were playing Scrabble and she wanted to keep it on.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Don Howard

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 09:38:18 AM »
Quicksilver and Free 4 All lead my list.
Crosswits (vintage 1986 as opposed to The Cross-Wits) would have, but I kept tuning in hoping to get a look at Michelle Roth. After a while, I figured they never showed her because she was a hag so I gave up. Then, while watching FNN one day, I discovered that she was a doll baby and that she was born to share my bed.
Guilty Or Innocent didn't do anything for me, either.

BrandonFG

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 10:35:35 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'192335\' date=\'Jul 27 2008, 11:44 PM\']
JUST MEN bored the carp out of me.
[/quote]
So I guess you felt really fishy that day? ;-)

After a while, I figured they never showed her because she was a hag so I gave up. Then, while watching FNN one day, I discovered that she was a doll baby and that she was born to share my bed.
Glad I wasn't drinking anything, that's another win for you (Don't have time to pull up any of the TEH WINNARS pics).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:36:50 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 10:40:52 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'192380\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 09:35 AM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
I called in sick from high school.  I had a haddock.

/Showtime!
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Mike Tennant

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 10:52:18 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'192383\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 10:40 AM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'192380\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 09:35 AM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
I called in sick from high school.  I had a haddock.[/quote]And here I thought you'd stayed home just for the hailbut.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 11:08:23 AM »
Holy Mackerel, Kingfish! It's another load 'o seafood jokes!

50 Grand Slam. Just couldn't get into that mish-mash. Set For Life, All-Star Secrets, The Neighbors...and admittedly, I still watched some episodes of dumb or weak shows because there was little better of interest running against them. Battlestars, Blankety Blanks, It's Anybody's Guess, Funny You Should Ask, Time Machine and One In A Million come to mind...

joshg

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 11:12:03 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'192371\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 06:38 AM\']
Then, while watching FNN one day, I discovered that she was a doll baby and that she was born to share my bed.
[/quote]

Don needs a cold shower or a moment to himself right about now...
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Don Howard

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 11:15:15 AM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'192386\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 11:08 AM\']
The Neighbors[/quote]
Oh, God, yes, that's another one. When I saw the ad for it, I wondered what the heck a Regis was.
But, boy, did I love that show's replacement.

SRIV94

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 11:17:20 AM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'192386\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 10:08 AM\']
Battlestars[/quote]

That one didn't bother me so much (the first version did only because it replaced CS, but I didn't mind the game itself).
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 11:26:22 AM »
I'm sure to some Battlestars wasn't too bad, but it just seemed H-Q/Merrill Heatter was just endlessly milking the question-gag-answer-agree or disagree format, like with All Star Blitz and other producers copies (Break The Bank). Some of us long-timers enjoyed the entire run of the original Squares and looked forward to some different game formats for a while.

While I'm at it...would anyone like to discuss whether or not Battlestars was really a poor title for the format? There was no real strategy, contestants did not compete/better the other for the right to play, the stars were not really in any type of defensive play (unless you want to consider giving a bluff answer a way of possibly protecting yourself from being "captured",  - help me with this one - I don't remember whether or not once a star was captured by a contestant, his opponent could do nothing to change ownership of that celeb - and finally, board number choices were totally randomized with the "stop the bouncing lights" plunger. Other than the fact they tried to make it look like some type of an arcade game or whatever, there wasn't a whole lot of "battle" in it!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 11:40:13 AM by The Ol' Guy »

Don Howard

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 11:30:23 AM »
Did anyone else here watching Battlestars then wonder what happened to Bob Quigley?
And upon learing that Merrill's company produced it, did you then wonder what happened to Kenny Williams?

SRIV94

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 11:33:50 AM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'192395\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 10:26 AM\']
I'm sure to some Battlestars wasn't too bad, but it just seemed H-Q/Merrill Heatter was just endlessly milking the question-gag-answer-agree or disagree format, like with All Star Blitz and other producers copies (Break The Bank). Some of us long-timers enjoyed the entire run of the original Squares and looked forward to some different game formats for a while.
[/quote]
I agree (X gets the square), but considering that the original HSq could've run a couple more years if it weren't for Fred Silverman constantly shifting its time slot then cancelling it altogether to make way for Letterman, having that format on in some way, shape or form wasn't totally a bad thing.  As always, YMMV.
Doug

Don Howard

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 11:41:18 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'192398\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 11:33 AM\']
considering that the original HSq could've run a couple more years if it weren't for Fred Silverman constantly shifting its time slot then cancelling it altogether to make way for Letterman, having that format on in some way, shape or form wasn't totally a bad thing.  As always, YMMV.
[/quote]
Indeed so. YMMV is what makes this forum a treat.
If The Hollywood Squares had just been left alone at 11:30 ET, I wonder if it would still be on today.
I also wonder how many people tuned in to the first HSq in 1966 {which may have been a bit on the shaky side---I don't remember seeing it so I don't know} and thought it was lame and didn't tune back for many a moon.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 11:45:41 AM »
Hi, Don!
Fun going back 'n forth, isn't it?

I'm sure a few others saw the first shows as well, and they were wobbly - and extremely slow. As in Marshall's book, whoever suggested packing the show with questions and picking up the pace made the right decision - otherwise it would have been as draggy as the two shows that were the springboards for Squares - The Celebrity Game and People Will Talk.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 12:04:36 PM »
Without Prejudice. Made it through precisely two acts.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe