The Game Show Forum > Game Show Channels & Networks

Severe lack of Match Game in new schedule

(1/3) > >>

DaveAndrews:
Don't give me the "this show doesn't fit Boden's young audience vision" stuff. :)  Isn't Match Game one of the highest rated of the rerun shows?  Let's look at the situation.  A year ago, we had Match Game daily at:

9:00am (MG 7x early)
12:30pm (MG syndie)
1:00pm (MG90)
6:30pm (MG 7x later)
9:00pm MGPM and repeated

that's 28 episodes a week excluding MGPM.  

Now we are down to 4 episodes a week due to that (f'n) VG Block + 2 syndie episodes on the weekend morning.     That's a total of 6 episodes a week vs 28 a year earlier.  No morning Match Game, no mid afternoon Match Game.  

Please don't take this is a whining post, I just want to get into the heads of these new schedulers and why there would be so few opportunities to watch MG.

Dave

zachhoran:
[quote name=\'DaveAndrews\' date=\'Oct 13 2003, 07:22 AM\']
Now we are down to 4 episodes a week due to that (f'n) VG Block + 2 syndie episodes on the weekend morning.     That's a total of 6 episodes a week vs 28 a year earlier.  No morning Match Game, no mid afternoon Match Game.  

Dave [/quote]
 MGPM is still on weeknights however. But it does seem odd that WLOD will now have as many airings a week as MG.

Matt Ottinger:

--- Quote ---Don't give me the "this show doesn't fit Boden's young audience vision" stuff. :) Isn't Match Game one of the highest rated of the rerun shows?
--- End quote ---
Basically:  "I know what the answer is to my question, but I want to complain anyway, just so long as you don't accuse me of complaining."

The *newest* Rayburn Match Games are more than twenty years old, and they've been airing multiple times a day on GSN for as long as there's been a GSN.  It's not even a matter of catering to a "young audience".  My impression is that young audiences respond to Match Game just fine.  That's probably what's keeping the show on the channel at all.  It's more a matter of not wanting the channel to look like a burial ground for ancient shows.  

Again:  MTV is no longer the place to go to watch music videos, TV Land is no longer the place to go to watch black & white classics, FX is no longer the place to go to watch interactive live shows and GSN is no longer the place to go to watch twenty- and thirty-year-old reruns of game shows.

Thing is, there ARE places in the cable universe where you can go to watch music videos, black and white classics and interactive live shows.  Maybe someday there will be a new place for old game shows too.

melman1:
I am always amazed at how well MG holds up, unlike shows like TJW (which is always being whined about on GSN's boards) which as I vaguely remember asked a lot of "dated" questions like "who won the Academy Award in 1971" and such.

If only someone would create a similar show in this day and age, something targeted at adults that kids could watch too.  With "adult" celebrity panelists... seems like everyone on TV now is under 30.

uncamark:
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Oct 13 2003, 08:54 AM\']I am always amazed at how well MG holds up, unlike shows like TJW (which is always being whined about on GSN's boards) which as I vaguely remember asked a lot of "dated" questions like "who won the Academy Award in 1971" and such.

If only someone would create a similar show in this day and age, something targeted at adults that kids could watch too.  With "adult" celebrity panelists... seems like everyone on TV now is under 30.[/quote]
Kevin Belinkoff and Jay Wolpert probably wonder the same thing--if they'd found the lightning-in-a-bottle that the original "MG" found, we'd be celebrating the sixth smash season of their version of the show.

And despite what they may say in public, they know better about their version--they may tell you that it was Syd Vinnedge's fault, but the blame could be equally shared by everyone involved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version