Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Big news on the TPIR front...  (Read 71944 times)

inturnaround

Big news on the TPIR front...
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2008, 10:27:24 AM »
Yeah, it's clear the admins over at GR did not take the news well. To call it an overreaction would be an understatement. I'd advise anyone who is panicking over there (or here for that matter) to take a deep breath and just wait and see. There's no way to know that these changes will be for good or for ill. We just don't have enough information.

Now I can understand people being upset. People seemed to have a genuine affection for Roger and I think his sacking bites, but the show goes on. This fall, we find out if we get a Platinum, Silver or Brass road to replace the Golden one.

In one aspect, I think it's kind of exciting. I mean, TPiR making changes? That's a topic worth debate. If only there were a TPiR-centric message board in which to discuss the changes...
Joe Coughlin     
Human

JayDLewis

« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2008, 11:50:47 AM »
ClockgameJohn posted this to the one topic at gr.net:

"Look for a video wall at the beginning of Season 37. Expect possible changes to the six pricing game format. Don't be surprised if the "Come on Down" format is changed."

The Video wall isn't that bad of an idea but where do you put it? Ditch the turntable? One of the big doors?

Less than 6 PGs? Could be due to time cuts from CBS rather than Fremantle.

CoD format? Shades of TNPiR94?

As I said in someone else's blog "It's gonna be a looooong 2 weeks of hand-wringing and wild speculation. That will be promptly followed by 2 months(?) of "This is gonna suuuuck!"" (Which applies to any fandom, not just this one.)
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2008, 12:02:47 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' post=\'189677\' date=\'Jul 4 2008, 09:27 AM\']
Yeah, it's clear the admins over at GR did not take the news well. To call it an overreaction would be an understatement.[/quote]

Keep in mind that a good friend of Marc and John had just been fired (probably unfairly in their minds) after 36 years of loyalty and hard work with his now-previous employer.  I'd say a minor over-reaction on Marc's part is understandable, especially in regards to a fan site he's maintaining for fans of said now-previous employer.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2008, 12:09:16 PM »
Shades of TNPiR94?
You hit the nail right on the head. Look for daytime TPIR to take on the attributes of TPIR '94. Consider that by eliminating One Bid and an act they make a big dent in the prize budget. The video wall means they don't have to pay for huge RVs and the like to be delivered to TV City. They didn't have to fire Roger to achieve these things but doing so made a dent in Fremantle's above-the-line budget.

It is possible that Drew's high-seven-figure salary comes directly out of CBS' pocket. If so, it doesn't directly affect Fremantle's take.

Frank15

« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2008, 12:26:38 PM »
Doug's Price is Right was killed pretty quickly.  Why would Fremantle want to emulate a version of the show that performed poorly?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2008, 12:27:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'189683\' date=\'Jul 4 2008, 12:02 PM\']Keep in mind that a good friend of Marc and John had just been fired (probably unfairly in their minds) after 36 years of loyalty and hard work with his now-previous employer.  I'd say a minor over-reaction on Marc's part is understandable, especially in regards to a fan site he's maintaining for fans of said now-previous employer.[/quote]
I completely understand why Marc and John in particular - two guys who have a lot more than a passing relationship with Roger -- would be devastated by this news.  Shutting down their board over it is, nevertheless, an overreaction at a time when their members needed that board the most.  "Minor" overreactions are posts that people are making here and elsewhere about the news.  Shutting down the board is a "major" overreaction, and as I said on G-R, a largely symbolic move that only hurts their fellow fans.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2008, 12:27:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Frank15\' post=\'189685\' date=\'Jul 4 2008, 11:26 AM\']Why would Fremantle want to emulate a version of the show that performed poorly?[/quote]Didn't the OJ Simpson trial, along with poor timeslots have something to do with it?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

LA the DJ

« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2008, 12:29:24 PM »
I just don't see how anyone in their right minds can look at a format that's been successful for 36 years, look at one that failed after one season, and think somehow the latter was superior.
However, is it a budget issue, a timing issue, or both?
Many of us commented this season on how rushed the show has become. It's now painfully obvious that increased commercial time appears to be a major enemy of TPiR, and most of the classic formats, for that matter.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 12:36:22 PM by nWo_Whammy »
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2008, 12:31:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'189687\' date=\'Jul 4 2008, 12:27 PM\'][quote name=\'Frank15\' post=\'189685\' date=\'Jul 4 2008, 11:26 AM\']Why would Fremantle want to emulate a version of the show that performed poorly?[/quote]Didn't the OJ Simpson trial, along with poor timeslots have something to do with it?[/quote]
It's one of the reasons.  Barker wouldn't allow the Davidson show to air before 3 PM, to prevent the syndie version to air against the daytime show.

inturnaround

« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'189683\' date=\'Jul 4 2008, 12:02 PM\']
Keep in mind that a good friend of Marc and John had just been fired (probably unfairly in their minds) after 36 years of loyalty and hard work with his now-previous employer.  I'd say a minor over-reaction on Marc's part is understandable, especially in regards to a fan site he's maintaining for fans of said now-previous employer.
[/quote]

First, no one is an active fan of Fremantle. People are a fans of the show and, I would venture to guess, the talent on the show.

I think when you're at the head of a community (like a message board), you probably shouldn't be the first out of the chute yelling that the sky is falling. It's just not responsible. Besides, even if the future is crap (which there's no guarantee of), there's still much to be discussed about the past.

I don't begrudge them their disappointment or concern for their friend. But to yank almost the entire board and declare it the end? Well, that's overkill.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

tpirfan28

« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2008, 12:43:16 PM »
After taking a day to think about things, it's not the end of the world.  Not even close.  Is it sad that a long time game show employee, whose roots are tied with one program, was fired?  Yes.  But it'll go on.

I'm kind of excited for some new changes.  A video wall could work if used properly (ie Boden doesn't need the Clock Game prop too).  Personally, I'd then ditch the big wheel, and have all (X) contestants participate in The Price was Right.  I liked the idea of using more pricing skill than a random chance wheel.  Probably not a popular idea, but YMMV.

Just remember...it's still going to be based on the pricing of merchandise, and there's still going to be wonderful awards for those smart shoppers.  Just going to look and act a little different.

/fail pix winners go to MattO for bluebox $25K fail
//also to NJ137 for Donnymid
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

cmjb13

« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2008, 01:21:23 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'189681\' date=\'Jul 4 2008, 11:50 AM\']
The Video wall isn't that bad of an idea but where do you put it? Ditch the turntable? One of the big doors?
[/quote]
I saw the video wall being demonstrated during a visit last month. They tested it in door #2 and while big, didn't take up as much space as I thought it would.

The idea is also to shoot cars/vans on the lot and show the video footage on the wall.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 01:23:18 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2008, 01:28:24 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'189693\' date=\'Jul 4 2008, 01:21 PM\']
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'189681\' date=\'Jul 4 2008, 11:50 AM\']
[/quote]
I saw the video wall being demonstrated during a visit last month. They tested it in door #2 and while big, didn't take up as much space as I thought it would.

The idea is also to shoot cars/vans on the lot and show the video footage on the wall.
[/quote]
This would save money, wouldn't it?
insert signature here

JayDLewis

« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2008, 01:38:07 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'189693\' date=\'Jul 4 2008, 12:21 PM\']
[/quote]

So.. it was behind/framed by Door #2?

I'm sure having cars/RVs/etc delivered to the studio is a pain but doesn't that take away the excitement a bit?

Host: You've won a picture of a Mustang! Go on over to the video wall and check it out.

Oh...and this:

http://www.qwizx.com/shh/tpir_sb.jpg
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

J.R.

« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2008, 02:20:42 PM »
You know, if it means more time for contestant interaction and casual fooling around, I wouldn't mind a reduction in pricing games.
-Joe Raygor