Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Misconceptions you have had about game shows  (Read 15939 times)

JayDLewis

Misconceptions you have had about game shows
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
TPiR's Safecrackers safe was real.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

Kevin Prather

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2008, 10:09:48 PM »
I thought that the contestants on Supermarket Sweep actually took home all the groceries they bought.

Kniwt

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2008, 11:01:49 PM »
OK, I'm really gonna date myself on this one, but here goes ...

Back when Dennis James was hosting the nighttime TPIR, there was some pricing game (perhaps it was Most Expensive) where the contestant would pick a price, and Dennis would always say, "We'll hold that one in abeyance and check the others."

I always wondered what a "beyance" could be.

Skip forward a couple of years, and I'm in high school taking my SATs. I'm in the vocabulary section, and there it is, right on the SAT: "abeyance." I went, "Oooooooh!"

Thanks to Dennis James, my SAT verbal score was a couple of points higher.

William_S.

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'185633\' date=\'May 7 2008, 03:30 PM\']
Pat Sajak's saying "We drew numbers to see who would start the game...", but they didn't draw numbers because the player farthest to the left always went first!

//I was only a child at the time
[/quote]

the same was for Me with Teen WLoD.  When Marc Price would say we have a coin toss,...AND YOU WON!!! (referring to one of the teams). I was like "What just happened?! what coin toss, I didn't see a coin toss!"  this was before we knew about the whole "backstage decisions" deal.

/We all were!! :-p

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2008, 02:04:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Kniwt\' post=\'185673\' date=\'May 7 2008, 11:01 PM\']Skip forward a couple of years, and I'm in high school taking my SATs. I'm in the vocabulary section, and there it is, right on the SAT: "abeyance." I went, "Oooooooh!"[/quote]
And then everybody probably looked at you weirdly for saying "Oooooooh!" :)

I had the same problem with astigmatism, if it makes you feel any better.
This signature is currently under construction.

MTCesquire

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2008, 03:18:07 AM »
Just thought of another one.

When I was 5, I used to think the weekend editions of "Jeopardy!" were new episodes because the letters in the title would blink faster on the Saturday show than they would during the week because it was the weekend.  The next season the weekend edition lights blinked at the same speed as the weekday shows.  I then realized that weekend "Jeopardy!" was just repeats of the previous season.  Kind of disappointing, as I thought the show was unique iby being the only one that aired new episodes *six* days a week. :-)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 03:25:13 AM by MTCesquire »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2008, 11:34:04 AM »
[quote name=\'MTCesquire\' post=\'185726\' date=\'May 9 2008, 12:18 AM\']
Just thought of another one.

When I was 5, I used to think the weekend editions of "Jeopardy!" were new episodes because the letters in the title would blink faster on the Saturday show than they would during the week because it was the weekend.  The next season the weekend edition lights blinked at the same speed as the weekday shows.  I then realized that weekend "Jeopardy!" was just repeats of the previous season.  Kind of disappointing, as I thought the show was unique iby being the only one that aired new episodes *six* days a week. :-)
[/quote]
Never wondered why the Friday champ never played on Saturday? :)

MTCesquire

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2008, 01:31:23 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'185735\' date=\'May 9 2008, 11:34 AM\']
Never wondered why the Friday champ never played on Saturday? :)
[/quote]

Well, that's the thing.  I noticed that the Saturday champ never showed up on the weekday eps so I figured that the weekday champ played Monday through Friday and the Saturday champ played exclusively on Saturdays.  Boy, I miss my childhood. :-)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2008, 02:25:13 PM »
I always thought that, on WoF, when they said they drew numbers before the game, they meant that they did it at the top of the show before they started playing.

When I was younger, I always thought "Damn, I always miss it."
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2008, 12:36:42 PM »
Early on in one of the Jeopardy Champsions,  I thought for the first week all the players watched all the shows.

On Friday I was dumbfouned when one player bet in Final Jeopardy when he had enough for a wild card already.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2008, 01:07:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Chuck Sutton\' post=\'185770\' date=\'May 10 2008, 09:36 AM\']
Early on in one of the Jeopardy Champsions,  I thought for the first week all the players watched all the shows.

On Friday I was dumbfouned when one player bet in Final Jeopardy when he had enough for a wild card already.
[/quote]
Hmm. Interesting. Not seeing the shows, I understand, but one would think they'd be briefed on what the wild card standing was.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2008, 01:14:35 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'185771\' date=\'May 10 2008, 10:07 AM\'][quote name=\'Chuck Sutton\' post=\'185770\' date=\'May 10 2008, 09:36 AM\']Early on in one of the Jeopardy Champsions,  I thought for the first week all the players watched all the shows.

On Friday I was dumbfouned when one player bet in Final Jeopardy when he had enough for a wild card already.[/quote]Hmm. Interesting. Not seeing the shows, I understand, but one would think they'd be briefed on what the wild card standing was.[/quote]Except they're not, for that very reason. Otherwise the players chosen to play Friday would have an enormous advantage.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2008, 01:38:34 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'185773\' date=\'May 10 2008, 10:14 AM\']
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'185771\' date=\'May 10 2008, 10:07 AM\'][quote name=\'Chuck Sutton\' post=\'185770\' date=\'May 10 2008, 09:36 AM\']Early on in one of the Jeopardy Champsions,  I thought for the first week all the players watched all the shows.

On Friday I was dumbfouned when one player bet in Final Jeopardy when he had enough for a wild card already.[/quote]Hmm. Interesting. Not seeing the shows, I understand, but one would think they'd be briefed on what the wild card standing was.[/quote]Except they're not, for that very reason. Otherwise the players chosen to play Friday would have an enormous advantage.
[/quote]
Yeah, I suppose that makes sense.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2008, 03:33:26 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'185594\' date=\'May 7 2008, 08:50 AM\']
Nothing specific about game shows, but I often wondered what was under the desks when they would put used answers or Password folders down those little slots. Did they have wastebaskets? Did they just pile up on the floor?
[/quote]

I don't know about the original Password, but Arte Johnson and Elaine Joyce just answered that question on "Plus."  (Okay, not *just* -- it was 20-something years ago; and not even "just" rerun; I'm behind in my watching from the DVR.)  They fall into little plywood drawers, each about the size of an index card box.
czambo@mac.com

tpirfan28

« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2008, 03:36:02 PM »
I always thought the Pyramid trillions were automated.

EDIT:  Also, I thought winning the Pyramid endgame was ungodly difficult...this could stem from the first 25 or so episodes I saw that had absolutely no winner (various episodes, not all at once).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 06:46:29 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"