Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: To Say The Least...  (Read 10743 times)

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
To Say The Least...
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2008, 10:04:53 PM »
Continuing in this vein: if Pat Sajak had as much pull outside of Merv Griffin as is insinuated, and if Wheel had indeed been canceled by NBC in 1980, maybe he could have been the host of $ale (maybe even with Vanna White as the cohost), which might have been picked up for syndication in fall 1983 and become the long-running megahit and institution here in the States that it is in Australia.

(The preceding is merely wishful thinking on my part, and can be taken as just me talking out of a region that is not my mouth;))
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

TimK2003

To Say The Least...
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2008, 10:23:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Tony Peters\' post=\'186222\' date=\'May 17 2008, 01:17 PM\']
So what would this have meant for $ale of the Century?
[/quote]

Sally Jullian would've hosted, and the show would've been canceled after 13 minutes, which would mean that Mark DeCarlo would never have been on the show and Freakin' Studs would have never seen the day! :)

Seriously, I could see Tom taking the $ale gig as well -- he would've been good in that Q & A show. That could have put Bob Eubanks on Body Language and then he would've switched from BL to the Card Sharks revival  -- which also would've meant that Trivia Trap may have never happened.

Don Howard

To Say The Least...
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2008, 10:49:47 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'186262\' date=\'May 18 2008, 10:23 AM\']
I could see Tom taking the $ale gig as well -- he would've been good in that Q & A show. That could have put Bob Eubanks on Body Language and then he would've switched from BL to the Card Sharks revival  -- which also would've meant that Trivia Trap may have never happened.
[/quote]
Oh, sure it would. Gene Rayburn would've hosted it while wearing his Amateur's Guide To Love sweater.

Jimmy Owen

To Say The Least...
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2008, 11:03:19 AM »
If Bob Eubanks did Body Language, would NBC have cancelled Dream House a month sooner, or would CBS have delayed BL for a month?  Or would Jim Lange have filled in on the last few weeks of DH?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

To Say The Least...
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2008, 01:01:09 PM »
So what would this have meant for $ale of the Century?[/quote]
I'll give you an answer rooted in truth.  One of the things I've been lucky enough to see in my game show adventures is a bunch of original SOTC auditions.  And you know who killed on the audition, and probably would have gotten the job if Jim Perry wasn't around?  Geoff Edwards.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

To Say The Least...
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2008, 01:59:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'186267\' date=\'May 18 2008, 01:01 PM\']
I'll give you an answer rooted in truth.  One of the things I've been lucky enough to see in my game show adventures is a bunch of original SOTC auditions.  And you know who killed on the audition, and probably would have gotten the job if Jim Perry wasn't around?  Geoff Edwards.
[/quote]
Which now makes me wonder how two current Fremantle properties would've done had Edwards hosted either...wasn't he also considered for Feud back in the 70s?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tyshaun1

To Say The Least...
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2008, 04:06:35 PM »
[/quote]
Hmmm.... makes you wonder, what other veteran emcees were considered for different shows? We know another host was tapped for "Hot Potato" before Bill Cullen, Geoff Edwards did the pilot for "Your Number's Up", and Peter Tomarken did the pilot for "Wordplay", are there any other examples we haven't heard?

Tyshaun

Don Howard

To Say The Least...
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2008, 04:39:37 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'186274\' date=\'May 18 2008, 04:06 PM\']
makes you wonder, what other veteran emcees were considered for different shows? We know another host was tapped for "Hot Potato" before Bill Cullen, Geoff Edwards did the pilot for "Your Number's Up", and Peter Tomarken did the pilot for "Wordplay", are there any other examples we haven't heard?
[/quote]
Gene Rayburn hosted the pilot for Party Line, which became Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak.
Peter Marshall was promoted in ads in the trades as being the host for 3rd Degree, but somewhere along the way it was determined that Bert Convy should host it.
Ted Baxter was the first choice for The $50,000 Steeplechase.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 05:13:43 PM by Don Howard »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
To Say The Least...
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2008, 04:49:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'186276\' date=\'May 18 2008, 01:39 PM\']
Peter Marshall was promoted in ads in the trades as being the host for 3rd Degree, but somewhere along the way it was determined that Bert Convy should host it.[/quote]
...causing Marshall to talk inordinate amounts of shiat about him in his book. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Adam Nedeff

To Say The Least...
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2008, 05:46:20 PM »
Hmmm.... makes you wonder, what other veteran emcees were considered for different shows? We know another host was tapped for "Hot Potato" before Bill Cullen, Geoff Edwards did the pilot for "Your Number's Up", and Peter Tomarken did the pilot for "Wordplay", are there any other examples we haven't heard?

Tyshaun
[/quote]
A few weeks ago, Fred Wostbrock showed me a photo (which I'm getting copied for my website now) which caught me by surprise: Tom Kennedy wielding a pair of large dice. Caption: Tom Kennedy returns to television as host of "The New High Rollers," Orion's dynamic game show strip for the 1987-88 season.

tvwxman

To Say The Least...
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2008, 05:54:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'186283\' date=\'May 18 2008, 05:46 PM\']

Tyshaun
[/quote]
A few weeks ago, Fred Wostbrock showed me a photo (which I'm getting copied for my website now) which caught me by surprise: Tom Kennedy wielding a pair of large dice. Caption: Tom Kennedy returns to television as host of "The New High Rollers," Orion's dynamic game show strip for the 1987-88 season.
[/quote]
Whoa.

I don't think even he coulda saved that show though.

So, what happened that he didn't get the gig?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 05:54:34 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tvwxman

To Say The Least...
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2008, 06:00:26 PM »
[/quote]
Cool. Wish I would have known that before he was on Stu's show a while back...that would have made for an interesting aside.

So, great guru of Sale, who else shot pilots ?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

mmb5

To Say The Least...
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2008, 06:56:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'186285\' date=\'May 18 2008, 06:00 PM\']
Cool. Wish I would have known that before he was on Stu's show a while back...that would have made for an interesting aside.

[/quote]
Tom Campbell, Jayson Kane and Greg Mullavey were three others who got screen tests.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Chief-O

To Say The Least...
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2008, 07:06:07 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'186289\' date=\'May 18 2008, 05:56 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'186285\' date=\'May 18 2008, 06:00 PM\']
[/quote]
Tom Campbell[/quote]

I take it this was "Camouflage" Tom Campbell?

Jayson Kane and Greg Mullavey were three others who got screen tests.

Wow. Whoever suggested Jim [not to mention Geoff] over those 2 deserved a gold star.
.....and it goes like this!!!

Adam Nedeff

To Say The Least...
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2008, 07:55:45 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'186284\' date=\'May 18 2008, 05:54 PM\']
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'186283\' date=\'May 18 2008, 05:46 PM\']
[/quote]
Whoa.

I don't think even he coulda saved that show though.

So, what happened that he didn't get the gig?
[/quote]
Even Fred didn't sound like he was sure about a reason on that one. It may have even boiled down to something as simple as "They changed their minds." I know it didn't create any animosity between Wink & Tom however; the next photo in the pile was Tom hosting a pilot produced by Wink for the following season.