Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: And Here's Your Host, Filling In For ________,...  (Read 18025 times)

davemackey

And Here's Your Host, Filling In For ________,...
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2008, 08:09:34 AM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' post=\'194382\' date=\'Aug 18 2008, 12:27 AM\']
While maybe not the best, I have to say that Sally Struthers did an admirable job subbing for Vicki Lawrence on the daytime "Win, Lose or Draw." Not that the show had the toughest format, but still, she seemed pretty natural in the host(ess) role.

Speaking of female sub hosts, did anyone see Betty White's week of hosting "Password" in 1975?
[/quote]
Betty's a pro whatever she does - but she lived that format.

There's an entirely different category to explore here - sub-hosts (and really good ones) who filled in so their hosts could play the game, like Jack Narz for Tom Kennedy on "You Don't Say!" (I think he did this on "Password Plus" too).

SteveR

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2008, 10:25:12 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'194393\' date=\'Aug 18 2008, 08:09 AM\']There's an entirely different category to explore here - sub-hosts (and really good ones) who filled in so their hosts could play the game, like Jack Narz for Tom Kennedy on "You Don't Say!" (I think he did this on "Password Plus" too).[/quote]
Marc Summers (who was part of GS-Hosts Week anyhow) took over as MC of Scrabble so Chuck could play.

Did Jim Perry ever play CS? I can't recall that he did but the episodes of brain cell mis-function grow increasingly frequent.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2008, 10:37:33 AM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'194396\' date=\'Aug 18 2008, 09:25 AM\']
Did Jim Perry ever play CS? I can't recall that he did but the episodes of brain cell mis-function grow increasingly frequent.
[/quote]
Not to my recollection.  The only shows I recall Perry playing were P+ and FF.  Perry did all of the hosting for the Game Show Hosts tournament and didn't do any of the playing.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2008, 11:21:18 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'194393\' date=\'Aug 18 2008, 05:09 AM\']
There's an entirely different category to explore here - sub-hosts (and really good ones) who filled in so their hosts could play the game, like Jack Narz for Tom Kennedy on "You Don't Say!" (I think he did this on "Password Plus" too).[/quote]
The example I always think of here is when Bert Convy plays TattleTales and they brought out Barker and Gene Rayburn and such.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2008, 07:45:33 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'194393\' date=\'Aug 18 2008, 08:09 AM\']There's an entirely different category to explore here - sub-hosts (and really good ones) who filled in so their hosts could play the game, like Jack Narz for Tom Kennedy on "You Don't Say!" (I think he did this on "Password Plus" too).[/quote]
Jack Narz sub-hosting Password Plus is one that always floors me. He acts like he's been hosting it for 20 years.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Ian Wallis

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2008, 06:11:53 PM »
Speaking of female sub hosts, did anyone see Betty White's week of hosting "Password" in 1975?

I remember it well.  They were into the electronic readout for passwords by then, and each game on the first day started with a funny password "welcoming" Betty.  One I remember was "...ahh! a female touch..."  Obviously they weren't played by the contestants, but I the audience cracked up each time.  I was hoping they'd continue that for the whole week but they didn't do it again beyond the first day.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

rwalker

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'194252\' date=\'Aug 15 2008, 11:52 PM\']
[quote name=\'Queen of Nerdocrombesia\' post=\'194251\' date=\'Aug 15 2008, 08:39 PM\']I think I'll also add Tim Vincent on Millionaire.  If Chain Reaction had gone to series with him, it may not have sucked so very much.[/quote]I don't think Bill Cullen himself could have saved the black hole of suck that was Chain Reaction 2006.

All the same, there's a happy thought.
[/quote]

There's a joke in there, but I'm not gonna....nope!

Let some established user be the one. Thank you

rwalker

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2008, 03:31:43 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'194325\' date=\'Aug 16 2008, 10:33 PM\']
[quote name=\'TwoInchQuad\' post=\'184670\' date=\'Apr 23 2008, 11:19 AM\']
Worst:

Mark Goodson on "to Tell the Truth".  For a guy who created so many television shows, and therefore spent so much time around TV studios, he had the most wooden on-camera demeanor that I've ever seen.

I mean, the show cues were all written out for the host on those cards that Bud would carry out to the desk with him every day... it's not **that** hard to deliver lines that a) you've heard about a million times before and  b) are sitting right in front of your face![/quote]
To be fair to my former employer, I've seen the episode he emceed with Betsy Palmer sitting in for Kitty and I've also seen him emcee it in the office in preparation for the 1980 version. He was fine with the format, i.e. conducting business, moving things along and getting the language out, but you are correct, as a personality he was stiff and wooden. But he was like that in person, and it explains why he hired affable guys like Bill Cullen, Bud Collyer and Gene Rayburn as emcees instead of trying to emcee his shows himself as Jack Barry and Monty Hall did.
[/quote]

Didn't MG fill in for Trebek on TTTT '91?

rwalker

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2008, 03:34:34 PM »
Well, though this might not count, you had Dingleberries like McClean Stevenson, who hosted MG for a round or two, and had Rayburn playing in his place.  Quite frankly, I'm so glad Rayburn made him sit back down, he was forcing his humor way too bad as a host. He was just fine as a panelist.

Don Howard

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2008, 11:05:07 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'184713\' date=\'Apr 23 2008, 11:54 PM\']
I'll nominate for the bad Jamie Farr (sitting in for Tom Kennedy on WORDPLAY).
[/quote]
Oh, God, yes! All those shows he was on in the 1980s telling the likes of Dick Clark and Bert Convy and others that "I can do this". No, you can't, Klinger. He was stilted and stiff. Why in heaven's name was he subbing for Tom for those three shows anyway? As I recall, no mention was made of Tom on those episodes and Charlie O. intro'd Jamie as though he was the host, not an understudy.
His electronic mortal sin of planned badness would not be surpassed until I saw Jimmie Walker guest host for The Hullabalooer on Matchmaker.

xavier45

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2008, 11:17:44 PM »
[quote name=\'rwalker\' post=\'194627\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 03:31 PM\']
Didn't MG fill in for Trebek on TTTT '91?
[/quote]
He filled in for 2 episodes, when Trebek's wife went into labor.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 11:18:03 PM by xavier45 »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2008, 08:46:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'195065\' date=\'Aug 24 2008, 10:05 PM\']
Why in heaven's name was he subbing for Tom for those three shows anyway? As I recall, no mention was made of Tom on those episodes and Charlie O. intro'd Jamie as though he was the host, not an understudy. [/quote]Could it have been either a test, a trial, or a warmup for that failed NBC pilot that never reached air?

On the good side...Jim Peck filling in on The Joker's Wild.
No one overtly negative comes to mind right now.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tvwxman

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2008, 11:54:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'195096\' date=\'Aug 25 2008, 08:46 AM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'195065\' date=\'Aug 24 2008, 10:05 PM\']
Why in heaven's name was he subbing for Tom for those three shows anyway? As I recall, no mention was made of Tom on those episodes and Charlie O. intro'd Jamie as though he was the host, not an understudy. [/quote]Could it have been either a test, a trial, or a warmup for that failed NBC pilot that never reached air?
[/quote]
Just about. At the time, Farr hosted the G/T Pilot "Oddball", and, when he guested on the Game Show Hosts week on "Scrabble", he was introduced as the host of the upcoming "Double Up".

Anyone know about what was behind "Double Up"?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2008, 12:42:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'194427\' date=\'Aug 18 2008, 06:45 PM\']
Jack Narz sub-hosting Password Plus is one that always floors me. He acts like he's been hosting it for 20 years.
[/quote]
Great...now I'm all disappointed that we don't have 20 years of Narz hosting Password to enjoy.

TenPoundHammer

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2008, 12:23:07 AM »
[quote name=\'gsgalaxy82\' post=\'184666\' date=\'Apr 23 2008, 01:14 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'184655\' date=\'Apr 23 2008, 09:46 AM\']
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'184654\' date=\'Apr 23 2008, 10:19 AM\']
Wasn't he filling in when Chuck attempted suicide? [/quote]
Whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA!

First, go read this thread from a few years ago.  The ONLY reference to Chuck Woolery attempting suicide ANYWHERE is on this web page.  In our discussion of this subject, the author of that information said (rather stubbornly, I think) "I believe I had read this in a book somewhere. If I'm wrong, I apologize, but that's all I have to say."  

If that information really was "in a book somewhere", he wouldn't be the only person in the world to have read it.  He wouldn't even be the only person in this forum.  So it's pretty likely that no such reference "in a book somewhere" exists, and we REALLY shouldn't be posting information like this as an assumed fact.
[/quote]

Oh NO! I thought I'd deleted that part :(
EDIT: There, fixed. What can I say, back then I was a bit hotheaded :)
[/quote]

I read in an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader that Trebek filled in because Woolery was ill.

Anyway, as far as this topic goes, would Trebek on TTTT'90 count? He wasn't exactly a sub I guess, more like a last-minute-we-fired-our-last-host-will-someone-please-fill-his-shoes. I thought that he seemed more relaxed  and warm on TTTT, much like his hosting on Classic Concentration. Too bad this version was already on its 19th host by the time Trebek came on.

Cullen also did very well subbing on P+, the only Password family I've seen him on. I've not really seen any other "guest host" gigs, though.