Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worst/Best Contestant ?  (Read 11291 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2003, 09:39:51 PM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 01:30 PM\'] The fact that Kelly's total was so high after they corrected their mistake leads me to think that they wanted people to know that she was close to breaking the all-time record...which she did.

This post could easily tangent into the best "Pyramid" contestants of all time. Hmm...
 [/quote]
 Grogan v. Ferrendini. Best of seven. Winner take all. ONE MILLION DOLLARS.

(plus whatever you won along the way, of course. :))

Smell that? That's the wonderful aroma of RATINGS.... :)

(It's also Mo Money, and would never happen. Allow me my fantasy. :))
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2003, 12:28:48 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 08:39 PM\'] [quote name=\'pyrfan\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 01:30 PM\'] The fact that Kelly's total was so high after they corrected their mistake leads me to think that they wanted people to know that she was close to breaking the all-time record...which she did.

This post could easily tangent into the best "Pyramid" contestants of all time. Hmm...
 [/quote]
Grogan v. Ferrendini. Best of seven. Winner take all. ONE MILLION DOLLARS.

(plus whatever you won along the way, of course. :))

Smell that? That's the wonderful aroma of RATINGS.... :)

(It's also Mo Money, and would never happen. Allow me my fantasy. :)) [/quote]
 I'll indulge your fantasy and add a new wrinkle, one that I always wanted them to add.

Instead of best of seven, it's top overall winnings after five days of play.  Instead of new contestants each day, it's two new celebs each day, from the established pantheon.  The new wrinkle is this:  On a given day, if you go to the Winners' Circle twice, you must give once and receive once.  (This applies only to Kelly and Keif, not the celebs.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Jay Temple

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2003, 12:37:12 PM »
(separate post from the last one 'cuz it's about a different show)

Worst player(s) on TPIR:  In the blackjack game, which I only remember seeing once, a player needed a 10 and picked merchandise where the price didn't end in 0.  From what I've read, this is not uncommon, so I nominate all such contestants.  I'll also backpedal from saying outright that they are the worst players on the show.  They have to be among the worst, but I'm sure people in other pricing games have done things that are comparably stupid.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Don Howard

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2003, 12:44:17 PM »
How could you all forget Tic Tac Dough champion Thom McKee? He MOST DEFINITELY ranks right up there among the BEST game show contestants of all time!

He certainly is. But my favorite is Frank.

(It's also Mo Money, and would never happen. Allow me my fantasy. :))

It's a good fantasy. I rather like Mo Money--except when they go waaaaaay overboard like on Twenty One vintage 2000 A.D. Of course, if I were in the booth and earned $100,000 for answering two questions correctly, my opinion would change.

clemon79

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2003, 01:45:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Oct 8 2003, 09:37 AM\'] a player needed a 10 and picked merchandise where the price didn't end in 0.  From what I've read, this is not uncommon, so I nominate all such contestants.

[/quote]
 Failing to do this in Hit Me is the best way to win my \"Mah-rone Du Jour\" award. Especially when there is only one product on the board ending in 0.

They have to be among the worst, but I'm sure people in other pricing games have done things that are comparably stupid.

I can't think of another game on the show that permits such stupidity. (I don't really count the people who get flustered and repeat a previous guess in Ten Chances as stupid.) I suppose you could count someone playing Lucky Seven who is down to the final digit with five or six bucks in their hand and DOESN'T select the 5, but even that is almost forgiviable, since it happens so seldom anymore.

Matt Ottinger

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2003, 01:57:57 PM »
In the category of you-ought-to-be-smarter-than-that, \"Hit Me\" is the best example, but I'd also put my vote in for people who don't play \"Clock Game\" well.  It's the only other game I can think of that you can't possibly lose if you use the brains God gave you, regardless of how much or how little you know about prices.  (It actually requires even less price knowledge than \"Hit Me\" when you think about it, since the latter requires you to find the ace.)  So there's that much more frustration at the \"mah-rone\" who just doesn't get it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

GS Warehouse

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2003, 02:06:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 8 2003, 12:57 PM\'] In the category of you-ought-to-be-smarter-than-that, "Hit Me" is the best example, but I'd also put my vote in for people who don't play "Clock Game" well.  It's the only other game I can think of that you can't possibly lose if you use the brains God gave you, regardless of how much or how little you know about prices. ... [/quote]
 \"Brian, what kind of show do you think this is?\"

Some pricing games have tricks to them that casual viewers don't pick up on.  I remember one 1994 playing of Cliff Hangers where Hans was on 22 with one item to go.  The contestant guessed a price that was a good $10 lower than the price of the second prize...CRASH!

Matt Ottinger

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2003, 04:43:39 PM »
Some pricing games have tricks to them that casual viewers don't pick up on. I remember one 1994 playing of Cliff Hangers where Hans was on 22 with one item to go. The contestant guessed a price that was a good $10 lower than the price of the second prize...CRASH!
Sure, there are a lot of games like that where if you've watched the show a few times you know some of the tricks.  And certainly, there are some games (and some products) that you get to know even better with repeated viewing.

My point is that \"Hit Me\" and \"Clock Game\" are the two games that an intelligent person ought to win even if he knows very little about prices and he's never seen TPIR before in his life.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2003, 05:15:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 8 2003, 01:43 PM\'] And certainly, there are some games (and some products) that you get to know even better with repeated viewing.
 [/quote]
 Ain't that the truth. I know if I pay a dime over $5.69 for NewPhase Herbal Supplement, I'm getting screwed. :)