Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: the problem with TPiR brand-less prizes..  (Read 4570 times)

Neumms

the problem with TPiR brand-less prizes..
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 09:43:31 PM »
It's impossible to bid the airfare, let alone the hotel. What time on what day of the week are you leaving? How many stops? Ideally, they would use trips only on games such as Grocery Game and Bonus Game, where the price of the big prize doesn't come into play. But, hell, it's a guessing game, so what are you going to do.

lobster

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 04:36:07 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'180695\' date=\'Mar 9 2008, 06:35 PM\']
The show may want to look at itself as a carnival of fun, with all that description entails, but they're still playing a game at the end of the day. They shouldn't be able to leave out options on a car, which hotel they'll use as part of a trip package, or brand names when there's a disparity within that particular piece of merchandise. If that means they have to give a plug to a company that didn't pay for it, T.S.
[/quote]

exactly.. and when you have a million bucks on the line it makes that guideline seem much more imperative.. it goes from "silly old guessing game" to "serious let-me-think-about-this-for-a-minute i-might-win- a-million-dollars".. Plus, TPiR is a full hour, are they really able to use the "we don't have time for such details!" excuse?

uncamark

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 12:07:23 PM »
Vegas.com is a Las Vegas vacation web site that books packages for Las Vegas trips.  If I were the contestant, I would put this in the same category as NWA and Southwest packages and try to figure out the package price--if I could.

joker316

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 12:17:50 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'180734\' date=\'Mar 10 2008, 11:07 AM\']
Vegas.com is a Las Vegas vacation web site that books packages for Las Vegas trips.  If I were the contestant, I would put this in the same category as NWA and Southwest packages and try to figure out the package price--if I could.
[/quote]
Thank you uncamark! That was part of my original point. BTW does anyone remember the outfit known as "Club Universe"? I know they were on NTT, but I think they may have given trips on TPIR in the early Barker era. The same principle pricingwise applies.
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

uncamark

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 12:25:47 PM »
[quote name=\'joker316\' post=\'180736\' date=\'Mar 10 2008, 11:17 AM\']
[/quote]
Thank you uncamark! That was part of my original point. BTW does anyone remember the outfit known as "Club Universe"? I know they were on NTT, but I think they may have given trips on TPIR in the early Barker era. The same principle pricingwise applies.
[/quote]

They were all over game shows in the 80s.  You couldn't miss them.

lobster

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 12:30:46 PM »
[/quote]

Still impossible to price even if you've used the site itself :) .. Vegas.com can arrange for you a six night stay in a downtown s**theap or a six night stay in a four-room suite at the Four Seasons...  low end total = $200, high end total = $6000 ..  

I think Neumms is correct in that they should save the vague prizes like this for games that don't involve guessing the price of the prize..

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 02:07:59 PM »
Overall, the core complaint seemed to be with the MDS and the stakes involved. It's akin to arguing Greed shouldn't have asked contestants to name recognizable smells instead of a more fact-based question when big money was on the line. It's their show, and they can do what they want. And, somebody else's budget.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 02:37:09 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'180749\' date=\'Mar 10 2008, 02:07 PM\']
Overall, the core complaint seemed to be with the MDS and the stakes involved. It's akin to arguing Greed shouldn't have asked contestants to name recognizable smells instead of a more fact-based question when big money was on the line. It's their show, and they can do what they want. And, somebody else's budget.[/quote]
Though I don't stay up nights worring about the 'fairness' of TPIR, I strongly disagree with this.  The Greed questions were obscure but they were not vague. They were -- to use a quiz bowl term -- "pinned."  The source for the question was always given ("According to the Nose Institute...") and that made them factual, if infuriatingly obscure.

With the vacation example from TPIR that we're using, the information that they provide is simply not sufficient enough for there to be one "right" answer.  You could be the greatest fan of Vegas.com the world has ever known and you wouldn't be able to accurately price the item because you just don't know what, specifically, the item is.  Again, if you consider TPIR to be a test of skill, this is a problem.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Neumms

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 01:48:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'180754\' date=\'Mar 10 2008, 01:37 PM\']
With the vacation example from TPIR that we're using, the information that they provide is simply not sufficient enough for there to be one "right" answer.  You could be the greatest fan of Vegas.com the world has ever known and you wouldn't be able to accurately price the item because you just don't know what, specifically, the item is.  Again, if you consider TPIR to be a test of skill, this is a problem.
[/quote]

That's what makes the show--sure it's mostly guessing and luck, but there's at least the illusion of skill. That's what raises it a notch above "Let's Make a Deal." Not pinning it wrecks the illusion.

uncamark

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 05:32:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'180887\' date=\'Mar 11 2008, 12:48 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'180754\' date=\'Mar 10 2008, 01:37 PM\']
[/quote]

That's what makes the show--sure it's mostly guessing and luck, but there's at least the illusion of skill. That's what raises it a notch above "Let's Make a Deal." Not pinning it wrecks the illusion.
[/quote]

Wouldn't the pinning be, as far as they're concerned, "All prices are the manufacturers' or suppliers' suggested retail prices unless otherwise announced?"

I'm sure if someone ever challenged out of the studio during taping, Roger or a staffer would pull the prize up on the database and present the evidence.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 05:46:48 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'180935\' date=\'Mar 11 2008, 05:32 PM\']Wouldn't the pinning be, as far as they're concerned, "All prices are the manufacturers' or suppliers' suggested retail prices unless otherwise announced?"[/quote]
Let me try this another way.

Your Final Jeopardy clue is:  "According to Information Please, this president was left-handed."

You say:  "Who is Herbert Hoover?"

Alex says: "No, I'm sorry.  The correct respose is, 'Who is Ronald Reagan?' "

You say:  "But Hoover was a leftie too!"

They say:  "Our source says that Reagan was left-handed.  Therefore we are right."

Your brain explodes.

In other words, sourcing an item is one thing and pinning it is another.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 06:00:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'180938\' date=\'Mar 11 2008, 04:46 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'180935\' date=\'Mar 11 2008, 05:32 PM\']Wouldn't the pinning be, as far as they're concerned, "All prices are the manufacturers' or suppliers' suggested retail prices unless otherwise announced?"[/quote]
Let me try this another way.

Your Final Jeopardy clue is:  "According to Information Please, this president was left-handed."

You say:  "Who is Herbert Hoover?"

Alex says: "No, I'm sorry.  The correct respose is, 'Who is Ronald Reagan?' "

You say:  "But Hoover was a leftie too!"

They say:  "Our source says that Reagan was left-handed.  Therefore we are right."

Your brain explodes.

In other words, sourcing an item is one thing and pinning it is another.
[/quote]

Gotcha.  Matt Ottinger kicked my ass.  :)

/Aren't you glad I didn't say Numberwang?