Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud (Combs) question  (Read 1911 times)

TenPoundHammer

Family Feud (Combs) question
« on: March 11, 2008, 10:04:20 PM »
Looking through my tape collection recently, I noticed that on an ep of Combs Feud, all ten family members are holding up a representation of the Strike graphic on a stick. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this -- I don't recall them holding up these sticks when they gave an answer resulting in a strike. Does anyone know what all this was all about?

chad1m

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 10:08:36 PM »
Are the lecterns also, like, bars instead of the traditional lecterns? I seem to recall both of those happening at the same time and never understood either one.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:09:31 PM by chad1m »

TenPoundHammer

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 10:26:51 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'181009\' date=\'Mar 11 2008, 10:08 PM\']
Are the lecterns also, like, bars instead of the traditional lecterns? I seem to recall both of those happening at the same time and never understood either one.
[/quote]

I don't see any difference in the family lecterns on this episode (Maage vs. Edwards, for those of you keeping score).

jalman

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 10:27:25 PM »
I have seen the families make Xs by crossing their arms as a sort of "Wrong!" taunt so maybe the Strike-on-a-stick was an escalation of that.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 11:10:45 PM »
I believe this has come up before, and I remember the answer going a little something like this:

At least during the Combs era (can't speak for any other version on this), there were strike indicators that allowed each family to know how many strikes they were had.  These indicators were small lights near the tops of the boards. On a couple of occasions, these indicators went out. When they did, the strike paddles you've seen were the backup.

dazztardly

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 11:33:31 PM »
I remember seeing video somewhere on youtube, of the Japanese feud. They used the strike paddles as well.

Before I knew what they were really for, I always thought it was to lock that family member out from giving more answers.

-Dan Berger
FLASHGames² / Buzzsaw TV

xavier45

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 11:36:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'181019\' date=\'Mar 11 2008, 11:10 PM\']
At least during the Combs era (can't speak for any other version on this).
[/quote]
Dawson's version also had the indicator lights.

I believe that they now have the Strike Indicators off stage on the current run of the show.

HYHYBT

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 11:30:46 AM »
The bars were originally a decoration for a summer special; they had a rope with floats wrapped around them. Afterwards they took the floats off, added a red handrest across the top and used them for special weeks until Bullseye came along; I didn't think there are any episodes with real families using them. Though of course if you saw one, then there are.

It's not as strange as the couple of weeks where the normal furniture was on the wrong sides (as in, the larger "head of the family" end with the logo was towards the audience)
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages