Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whoosh of the day.  (Read 1928 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Whoosh of the day.
« on: March 07, 2008, 10:12:43 AM »
The Whoosh of the Day goes to UKGameshows.net (the biggest British game show resource on the internet) for completely missing the point of Quizzlestick.

Take a look at their entry, which lists the comedy skit as an actual pilot, making no mention whatsoever of its purposely comical nature.

This part gets me:

Sadly, Quizzlestick only received a short pilot show on Channel 4. This is a shame, as it showed much promise as a challenging yet elegant general knowledge quiz. Some viewers found it hard to grasp the rules, but if you stick with it it's really fairly simple.

EDIT: Well, now. I seem to have missed the reference to other game show spoofs at the very-very bottom of the page.

So, by all rights, this Whoosh should go to me.

What a twist.

In the meantime, here's the page for Numberwang.

I love the board game.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 10:22:22 AM by DoorNumberFour »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Speedy G

Whoosh of the day.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 12:34:36 PM »
I have no idea what's going on in this thread... so here you go.

/Is there a game show equivalent of getting Rickrolled?
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

Matt Ottinger

Whoosh of the day.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 12:39:36 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'180402\' date=\'Mar 7 2008, 10:12 AM\']
The Whoosh of the Day goes to UKGameshows.net (the biggest British game show resource on the internet) for completely missing the point of Quizzlestick.

EDIT: Well, now. I seem to have missed the reference to other game show spoofs at the very-very bottom of the page.[/quote]
Did it never occur to you to stop and think that "the biggest British game show resource on the internet" is probably not going to be fooled by something that every single one of us Americans got as a joke the moment we saw it?  You had the chance to delete this topic entirely and instead you edited it to correct yourself, which really just made you look all the more foolish in the process.

A "whoosh" is a very dangerous toy, and I don't think you should be playing with it anymore.  I think you definitely deseve a Pancake Matt.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 12:41:38 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

Whoosh of the day.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 12:52:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'180416\' date=\'Mar 7 2008, 12:39 PM\']
 I think you definitely deseve a Pancake Matt.
[/quote]

Hey, I think we all deserve a pancake, Matt.  Or maybe even a waffle.  No more cold cereal for this board's membership!
czambo@mac.com

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Whoosh of the day.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 01:12:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'180416\' date=\'Mar 7 2008, 11:39 AM\']
You had the chance to delete this topic entirely and instead you edited it to correct yourself, which really just made you look all the more foolish in the process.
[/quote]
I thought only mods could delete the start of a thread.  Did I miss a new software upgrade?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

dzinkin

Whoosh of the day.
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 02:07:01 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'180423\' date=\'Mar 7 2008, 01:12 PM\']
I thought only mods could delete the start of a thread.  Did I miss a new software upgrade?
[/quote]
No, but he could have deleted the text and replaced it with "Mistake.  Mods, please delete this thread," or something like it.  Others have done likewise and we've been happy to oblige by deleting the thread outright.

When you have a history of missing the point, you really shouldn't be employing the "Whoosh" on anyone else anyway.  I'm reminded of this exchange in particular, from everyone's favorite bowler.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 02:08:04 PM by dzinkin »

Matt Ottinger

Whoosh of the day.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 02:23:30 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'180431\' date=\'Mar 7 2008, 02:07 PM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'180423\' date=\'Mar 7 2008, 01:12 PM\']
[/quote]
No, but he could have deleted the text and replaced it with "Mistake.  Mods, please delete this thread," or something like it.  [/quote]
Shows how much I know.  All this time, I thought that if you started a thread and no one had contributed, you could delete your post and the thread would vanish.  Honestly, asking him to think of something like david's describing might actually be too much to expect.  

My apologies, I'm going to go have pancakes now.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dzinkin

Whoosh of the day.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 03:37:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'180435\' date=\'Mar 7 2008, 02:23 PM\']
Shows how much I know.  All this time, I thought that if you started a thread and no one had contributed, you could delete your post and the thread would vanish.
[/quote]
Even we, as mods, can't delete the first post in a thread -- we have to either delete the whole thread, or create a new thread and manually move all but the first post into the new thread.  I found that out when one of our moderated users tried to start a thread with a, er, very inappropriate question (don't ask) and I tried to delete the post rather than the thread.