Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Million Dollar Password taping  (Read 22449 times)

BrandonFG

Million Dollar Password taping
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2008, 07:50:31 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'180953\' date=\'Mar 11 2008, 07:08 PM\']
Oddly, I met Coolio -- at a Donnymid taping!
How was he as an usher?
[/quote]
No, no, Usher sang that song with Lil Jon. Coolio had "Gangsta's Paradise" among other songs. Better luck next time, enjoy your Turtle Wax.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 07:52:03 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2008, 10:16:02 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'180891\' date=\'Mar 11 2008, 02:18 PM\']IIRC, she was on Pyramid a few years back and played pretty well. Besides, even if she's 86, I'd put my money on Betty over most of the half-witted celebrities that have been recruited for games shows in the '00s.[/quote]
Oh, I'm not saying it's a BAD choice to have her on. I just can see justifiable reasons for not inviting her. She did play pretty well on Pyramid in 2002--but the Winner's Circle seemed to fluster her tremendously.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

HYHYBT

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2008, 11:34:12 AM »
Flustered because of her age, or because of their version of the Winners Circle?
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2008, 03:03:43 PM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'181063\' date=\'Mar 12 2008, 08:34 AM\']
Flustered because of her age, or because of their version of the Winners Circle?
[/quote]
Exactly.

. o O ("Tom Cruise's friggin' dentist? You gotta be kidding me.")
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2008, 05:22:33 PM »
Heh. But no, the categories weren't too egregious, as I recall. (And she was sometimes getting flustered on timed rounds even back in the 1980s.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Master Shake

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2008, 05:36:53 PM »
As a recent convert to Password and a now-daily watcher of Super Password on GSN, I'll watch Million Dollar Password with an open mind, however from what I've read about it, I'm not too optimistic.

I hate the idea of a modern, neon/dark space-age set - it's nice when, despite the tension in the game, you can actually SEE the set and not just the players/host surrounded by blackness.

I don't like the idea that the contestants stand up.  What, they couldn't have one less neon tube and throw some dough at chairs?

It really bugs me that "U.S." passes as a legal clue.  Case in point, on today's Super, a password was California; Los Angeles was used and beeped as an illegal clue.

Oh, and one other thing - given the formats described for gameplay, I assume there'll be no whispered Gene Wood-esque voice announcing, "The password is...password."  That ain't right either.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2008, 07:08:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Master Shake\' post=\'181130\' date=\'Mar 12 2008, 04:36 PM\']
That ain't right either.[/quote]Well, the Super Password episodes you're watching right now don't have it either.

Password Plus slid by just fine without it too.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

lobster

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2008, 08:22:33 PM »
It really bugs me that "U.S." passes as a legal clue.  Case in point, on today's Super, a password was California; Los Angeles was used and beeped as an illegal clue.
[/quote]

ah.. that only happened at the auditions, which were led by yer typical non-game-show-watchin temporary craiglist-gig-taker.  i am going to assume that on the actual show they will at least have on staff some people that know the real rules (if not some holdovers from any of the original runs)

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2008, 09:31:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Master Shake\' post=\'181130\' date=\'Mar 12 2008, 03:36 PM\']It really bugs me that "U.S." passes as a legal clue.
[/quote]

Because giving "Sacramento" as a clue would have required too much mental effort...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2008, 09:47:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'181181\' date=\'Mar 12 2008, 06:31 PM\']
Because giving "Sacramento" as a clue would have required too much mental effort...
[/quote]
Well, the problem there is that the Password wasn't "shiatpile". :)

/has a friend who lives there
//she speaks from authority
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 09:47:40 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BillCullen1

« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2008, 06:17:19 AM »
As a recent convert to Password and a now-daily watcher of Super Password on GSN, I'll watch Million Dollar Password with an open mind, however from what I've read about it, I'm not too optimistic.

I don't like the idea that the contestants stand up.  What, they couldn't have one less neon tube and throw some dough at chairs?

Oh, and one other thing - given the formats described for gameplay, I assume there'll be no whispered Gene Wood-esque voice announcing, "The password is...password."  That ain't right either.
[/quote]

From someone who saw a taping of this extravaganza, I'll tell you this:

Yes, the contestants stand.  Regis had a stool-like chair behind his podium, which he used during breaks and stopdowns. During the actual taping, he stood.  You probably won't be able to notice the chair during the telecast.

Given the "lightning round" format used, there's no time for an announcer to say "the password is . ."

We all had to sign release forms, but since Rosie blogged about it, I can tell you I saw the show with Rosie and Tony Hawk.  A few people guessed Hawk from the hint I give earlier, give yourself a pat on the back.
To her credit, Rosie played the game rather well, and kept to playing the game.  (Gameplay information deleted. -DZ)

One more thing. During the taping, my friends and I sat behind a man named John, who won $250K on Merideth's Millionaire. Can't remember his last name, it's Italian.  He was also featured on the GSN special where Millionaire was inducted into GSN's "Hall of Fame."  The taping was a fun experience for me.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 01:00:47 PM by BillCullen1 »

TheGameShowGuy

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2008, 09:00:24 AM »
I got to see Monday's taping and as was said about Sundays ...the celebs were quite recognizable and I'd say A or A- listers...
I really liked the game as well... a great cross between Password and Pyramid.  I couldnt find any flaws in the format (Like SP's useless $100 puzzle) Regis also makes a great host. The hour (even at the 21/2 hr taping) flies by fast.
I know many miss the puzzle but when you wach this show you will see it doesnt belong here... this game is very fast paced and very exciting. And, while the time element does emulate Pyramid ... it's definately Password. And I should point out ... wth the rules of Password 5 words in 30 seconds is quite difficult.

And they included a safe zone... unlike some other prime time shows ...at $25,000 which is cool.  To get to 25K you first must win $10,000 by guessing 5 moderate Passords out of 10 in 90 seconds.
[After the show, I got to speak with a losing contestant whose family I was sitting with -I was told that a player actually gets 2 chances at the $10,000 level if they blow the first one--- no llamas here!]
Then for the lock at $25,000 the task is to guess 5 similar level Passwords out of 9. (No more than 3 clues per word allowed- so you must think this out)

I think this is the best prime time game to come along in quite a while. It was great fun  and one that should gain a regular place on the schedule

TheGameShowGuy

« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2008, 09:02:39 AM »
Bill Cullen 1: ...You must have sat behind John Castellano a great guy who was in my play group when I was on Millionaire in 2004.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 09:03:36 AM by TheGameShowGuy »

toddyo

« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2008, 11:50:56 AM »
Getting on my soap box for a minute. I worked in Cincinnati with those that helped invent black and white, and then color, television. Cincinnati was even referred to as Colortown USA (WLWT and WNBC perfected color tv).

Anyway my fuming annoyance of these new shows: they are DARK. Here we now have high definition television and the sets are BLACK. Why? Where are the Ted Coopers? Where are the "game show colors"? Bright oranges, reds, greens and blue. That RGB cable does stand for something!

This is where Donnymyd jumped the shark immediately. (Outside of the obnoxious plug for Sony Laptops). It was dark. Dark equals sinister. Bright colors = fun and excitement. Even IGAS' latest remake had color.

So, without seeing two fields of video and based on what's been mentioned here, I'm going to be disappointed with this remake. What's sad is that the Game Show Marathon took painstaking steps to recreate sets....why can't  Freemantle do the same for its true remakes of programs (Along with Sony)?

Could you imagine Treasure Hunt in monochromatic silver? Or the Gong Show or Jackpot?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 11:52:30 AM by toddyo »

Offshored2007

« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2008, 12:23:30 PM »
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'181217\' date=\'Mar 13 2008, 11:50 AM\']
Getting on my soap box for a minute. I worked in Cincinnati with those that helped invent black and white, and then color, television. Cincinnati was even referred to as Colortown USA (WLWT and WNBC perfected color tv).

Anyway my fuming annoyance of these new shows: they are DARK. Here we now have high definition television and the sets are BLACK. Why? Where are the Ted Coopers? Where are the "game show colors"? Bright oranges, reds, greens and blue. That RGB cable does stand for something!

This is where Donnymyd jumped the shark immediately. (Outside of the obnoxious plug for Sony Laptops). It was dark. Dark equals sinister. Bright colors = fun and excitement. Even IGAS' latest remake had color.

So, without seeing two fields of video and based on what's been mentioned here, I'm going to be disappointed with this remake. What's sad is that the Game Show Marathon took painstaking steps to recreate sets....why can't  Freemantle do the same for its true remakes of programs (Along with Sony)?

Could you imagine Treasure Hunt in monochromatic silver? Or the Gong Show or Jackpot?
[/quote]

Any chance this show will be aired in HD?  The password is NO