Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: toughest/easiest million  (Read 77513 times)

mmb5

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2008, 04:46:39 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'178971\' date=\'Feb 25 2008, 10:22 PM\']
I'm now a "Pop" man living in a "soda" world in the Rockies as well.  Another long lost brand, Fresca, is also readily available in CO.  The ones I wonder if they still exist are Hires Root Beer and Teem.

Also in Colorado:

Traffic Circles are Roundabouts,
Expressways are Freeways,
and I-225 in Denver is also known as 2 and a Quarter.
[/quote]
Fresca is pretty much national again.  I have at least one a day.

At least the people in Denver are finally calling their highways by numbers.  When I lived out there, it was pretty much by their names.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

tpirfan28

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2008, 04:53:04 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'178973\' date=\'Feb 25 2008, 10:30 PM\']
Fresca, long lost? Not so much. It's been around as long as I can remember, and it's regularly stocked in the coolers at Microsoft.
[/quote]
That's interesting.  Fresca isn't a hot seller, but there's usually someone who will buy up five or six at a time.

And just to throw the maybe "forgotten" brands out there:  Tab, (Mr.) Pibb (Xtra), Barqs, Barqs Red Creme Soda, Mello Yello (maybe), and Caffeine Free Coke (not diet).

And if those are forgotten, we are currently blessed with such wonderfuls as Diet Coke with Lime, Diet Coke+ (with minerals...insert 'it's more than Diet Coke' joke here) and the understandably needed but odd Diet Coke with Splenda.

My favorite?  Sprite Remix...Sprite with some other flavors.  Long gone, though.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
toughest/easiest million
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2008, 06:48:10 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'179054\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 04:53 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'178973\' date=\'Feb 25 2008, 10:30 PM\']
Fresca, long lost? Not so much. It's been around as long as I can remember, and it's regularly stocked in the coolers at Microsoft.
[/quote]
That's interesting.  Fresca isn't a hot seller, but there's usually someone who will buy up five or six at a time.

And just to throw the maybe "forgotten" brands out there:  Tab, (Mr.) Pibb (Xtra), Barqs, Barqs Red Creme Soda, Mello Yello (maybe), and Caffeine Free Coke (not diet).

And if those are forgotten, we are currently blessed with such wonderfuls as Diet Coke with Lime, Diet Coke+ (with minerals...insert 'it's more than Diet Coke' joke here) and the understandably needed but odd Diet Coke with Splenda.

My favorite?  Sprite Remix...Sprite with some other flavors.  Long gone, though.
[/quote]
If you go to sodafinder.com, they have a vast majority of long-forgotten or discontinued sodas (drinkable, but at your own risk).

But $600 for a 12-pack of Pibb is a bit rich for my blood.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Casey

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2008, 07:43:57 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'178971\' date=\'Feb 25 2008, 10:22 PM\']
Traffic Circles are Roundabouts,
Expressways are Freeways,
and I-225 in Denver is also known as 2 and a Quarter.
[/quote]
Since we've strayed so far - I just moved here from Iowa about 6 months ago, so I'm a "pop" man too.  But it took me 3 months to figure out what "the mousetrap" was.  (I-25 and I-70 interchange).

TimK2003

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2008, 10:00:08 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'179051\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 05:46 PM\']
At least the people in Denver are finally calling their highways by numbers.  When I lived out there, it was pretty much by their names.
[/quote]

The only freeways that I have ever known in Denver that ever had a name was US 36 between Denver and Boulder, aka the "Boulder Turnpike", and Pena Boulevard, which connects I-70 to Denver International Airport.

Then there's the E-470 and the C-470 debacle, which should all just be called I-470.

OBG Game Shows:  Frostie Root Beer, another forgotten favorite, was one of a select few soft drinks that was ever given away as a Game Show Consolation Prize.

Jay Temple

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2008, 10:14:15 PM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'179045\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 03:22 PM\']
If you find an old favorite you thought they didn't make anymore, check the date... The last time I found Budwine in a store, around 2000-2001 or so, I thought, "Great! Haven't had one of those in ages!" and bought the last 6-pack. And it was the nastiest stuff I've ever intentionally put in my mouth. Apparently it *was* the last, the very last, because it turns out they quit making it in 1995.

On the bright side, I now know that that Ingle's doesn't do so well about rotating stock...
[/quote]
A joke I made once: I don't wanna say the soda in this machine is old, but you know how they put the game schedules on some cans? Well, mine has the schedule for the St. Louis Browns.

They became the Baltimore Orioles in 1954.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

dale_grass

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2008, 10:24:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'179101\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 11:14 PM\']
A joke I made once: I don't wanna say the soda in this machine is old, but you know how they put the game schedules on some cans? Well, mine has the schedule for the St. Louis Browns.
[/quote]

Seriously, though, I've drank pop around Thanksgiving with Super Bowl advertising on the cans (that year's, not next year's).  You can definitely tell the difference.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
toughest/easiest million
« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2008, 10:26:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'179101\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 10:14 PM\']

They became the Baltimore Orioles in 1954.
[/quote]

This is what happens when you tell a bad joke.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
toughest/easiest million
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2008, 10:49:42 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'178971\' date=\'Feb 25 2008, 10:22 PM\']The ones I wonder if they still exist are Hires Root Beer[/quote]It does.  I have some in my fridge right now.
Expressways are Freeways
In Iowa (and I think, technically anywhere)Expressway refers to a road that is multi-lane divided, but has at-grade intersections, while a freeway does not. (Yeah, I'm a 'roadgeek'. What of it?)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2008, 11:10:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'179108\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 10:49 PM\']In Iowa (and I think, technically anywhere)Expressway refers to a road that is multi-lane divided, but has at-grade intersections, while a freeway does not. (Yeah, I'm a 'roadgeek'. What of it?)[/quote]
Wikipedia has a very specifically referenced source that says the federal government agrees with you.   I dare say that the general public, though, uses both terms more or less interchangeably.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

narzo

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2008, 12:32:15 AM »
has this thread officially gone far enough off-topic?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
toughest/easiest million
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2008, 04:08:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'179112\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 08:10 PM\']
I dare say that the general public, though, uses both terms more or less interchangeably.
[/quote]
Really? Nowhere I've lived. In the areas I've lived there has always been a very distinct difference between the two.

That said, it took me several years living here before I figured out that the Mukilteo Speedway wasn't a racetrack.

/always thought roadgeeks had the best reason to hold their heads high
//Because what they know is actually useful information
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

lobster

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2008, 08:55:42 AM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'179122\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 11:32 PM\']
has this thread officially gone far enough off-topic?
[/quote]

I once ate barracuda while in Trinidad.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
toughest/easiest million
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2008, 10:09:30 AM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'179122\' date=\'Feb 27 2008, 12:32 AM\']
has this thread officially gone far enough off-topic?[/quote]Eh, who cares?  Once in awhile, a little diversion from game shows doesn't hurt.  The hamburger thread from a few months ago is a good example too.

I'm sure if the mods cared, they would have locked this by now.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2008, 10:13:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'179143\' date=\'Feb 27 2008, 10:09 AM\']I'm sure if the mods cared, they would have locked this by now.[/quote]
As long as people don't get pissy with each other, threads going astray is one of the natural phenomena of a message board.  I'll admit that while I was arguing with Dale over DoND nuances, it was a pain to slog through all the sugar-water posts, but I'm not going to artificially control the nature of perfectly civil conversations.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.