Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: toughest/easiest million  (Read 77560 times)

lobster

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2008, 02:32:08 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'178894\' date=\'Feb 25 2008, 11:52 AM\']
\Pepsi is a Coke wanna-be.  Always has been, always will be.
[/quote]

it's all syrupy crap and y'all shouldn't drink any of that slop anyway! :D ..  I half-way credit my losing 35 lbs to me not consuming cola since 2004 -- the place I used to work for had their soda machine rigged to give out free cans of any selection, so I was throwing down 3 or 4 a day easy.. they loaded the machine with extra mt. dew and jolt for us IT nerds, but once I cut all that out, I noticed a dramatic decrease in belly.  

having that said, the "Dublin" variety of Dr. Pepper which is a special version they make at the Dublin, Texas plant is made with pure cane sugar, and they bottle it in an old style DP 2/4/10 bottle and it is by far the most fantastic dark cola one can consume (it's a close contest with RC) .. I know of only one store here that sells it, I don't even know if you can get it out of state.. too bad for me I am on the twenty-year-no-cola diet, so I can only rely on memories.. :D

btw -- in Texas, they seem to call any cola "Coke" even if it's a Pepsi.. it's the generic term for cola -- (kinda how everyone calls tissues "Kleenex" even if it's puffs -- or a copy a Xerox even if it's made with a Canon :D) ..

/I say 'soda', wife (from Minnesota) says 'pop', and that is the one thing neither of us will compromise on :p

dzinkin

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2008, 02:38:56 PM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'178907\' date=\'Feb 25 2008, 02:32 PM\']
having that said, the "Dublin" variety of Dr. Pepper which is a special version they make at the Dublin, Texas plant is made with pure cane sugar, and they bottle it in an old style DP 2/4/10 bottle and it is by far the most fantastic dark cola one can consume (it's a close contest with RC) .. I know of only one store here that sells it, I don't even know if you can get it out of state..
[/quote]
Apparently, yes, you can.  The Int3rn3tz got everything, just as you said. :-D  (I just picked up a new Dr. Pepper flavor yesterday: Cherry Chocolate Diet Dr. Pepper.  Whatever's in it, I bet they're not using cane sugar!)

Meanwhile, those who like Coke with pure cane sugar have two choices.  They can wait until Passover's about to arrive, since corn syrup isn't kosher for Passover and many stores start carrying Coke with cane sugar to fill the void.  Or they can buy their Coke near the border with Mexico; apparently Mexican-bottled Coke also has cane sugar.

TenPoundHammer

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2008, 02:40:36 PM »
Seems like it can vary widely from market to market... Here in Denver, some of the stores still carry Tab but you never see it anywhere else hardly.

I occasionally see TaB in the (highly overpriced) grocery store around here, but no Super Mr. Pibb Xtra Plus And Then Some. The only place I've ever seen the latter in Michigan is at one gas station on the other side of the state.

/would rather see Barq's Red Cream Soda than either of the above
//can only find that at one store around here too

dale_grass

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2008, 02:51:19 PM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'178911\' date=\'Feb 25 2008, 03:40 PM\']
[/quote]

The first and last time I saw Barq's Red Cream Soda was in Wisconsin five years ago.  I thought a friend of mine was joking when he mentioned such a thing existed, then proved me wrong when he produced a bottle.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
toughest/easiest million
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2008, 02:54:10 PM »
Well, now that this thread's apparently gone to the HFCS side...

anyone know if Coke C2 is being sold anywhere nowadays?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

MikeK

• Martha!
toughest/easiest million
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2008, 02:54:50 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'178909\' date=\'Feb 25 2008, 02:38 PM\'](I just picked up a new Dr. Pepper flavor yesterday: Cherry Chocolate Diet Dr. Pepper.  Whatever's in it, I bet they're not using cane sugar!)[/quote]
Or cherries or chocolate.  I bought a 2-liter of it on sale a month ago.  I dumped what was left of it over the weekend--2/3 of a bottle.  I love Dr. Pepper, Diet Dr. Pepper, and both versions of the cherry vanilla flavor.  What was in that 2-liter bottle was not Dr. Pepper.

TenPoundHammer

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2008, 02:57:37 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'178916\' date=\'Feb 25 2008, 02:51 PM\']
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'178911\' date=\'Feb 25 2008, 03:40 PM\']
[/quote]

The first and last time I saw Barq's Red Cream Soda was in Wisconsin five years ago.  I thought a friend of mine was joking when he mentioned such a thing existed, then proved me wrong when he produced a bottle.
[/quote]

It showed up once at a Citgo station in my town, and since then the stuff has been hiding in the cooler at the nearest Dollar Tree (which is an hour away; yes, I live in a void). Shame, too -- it's good stuff. Come to think of it, just finding Barq's Root Beer isn't all that easy around here, either.

/wishes Culver's would bottle their root beer, as it kicks just about every other root beer's ass

dzinkin

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'178919\' date=\'Feb 25 2008, 02:54 PM\']
Well, now that this thread's apparently gone to the HFCS side...

anyone know if Coke C2 is being sold anywhere nowadays?
[/quote]
Per Wikipedia, so take it with the usual grain of salt: "An inquiry to the Coca-Cola company in February of 2007 revealed that only one bottler in the South Eastern United States still produced the product, and that it had been discontinued.  However this product is still sold in Canada."  The Coca-Cola Canada site makes no mention of it, so I'd bet it's gone from there too by now.

tpirfan28

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2008, 03:20:17 PM »
Wiki is at least mostly correct...C2 isn't made in many places anymore, if at all.  Can't vouch if it's being made by a single bottler.

Also:  Black Cherry Vanilla isn't made anymore, having been replaced by Vanilla Coke.  Black Cherry Vanilla replaced Vanilla Coke, too.

OBGS:  Just like $25K Pyramid and Blackout!
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

lobster

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2008, 03:22:01 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'178909\' date=\'Feb 25 2008, 01:38 PM\']
Meanwhile, those who like Coke with pure cane sugar have two choices.  They can wait until Passover's about to arrive, since corn syrup isn't kosher for Passover and many stores start carrying Coke with cane sugar to fill the void.  Or they can buy their Coke near the border with Mexico; apparently Mexican-bottled Coke also has cane sugar.
[/quote]

indeedey, that is true -- they sell 'em in those huge recycled bottles (un litro!) and they're SO recycled (how recycled are they??) that their labels are practically worn off .. it's one of those fun quirks about visiting the border towns (alongside getting $3 bottles of pure vanilla and $5 bottles of pure kahlua :D) but the "Mexican Coke" has started to appear in our mexican grocery stores as far north as here in Fort Worff (7 hour drive from the border) and perhaps beyond .. they do taste better, but people have this strange argument that soda (and beer) tastes better when consumed out of a bottle..

/never thought I'd be saying the phrase "Mexican Coke" in a game show forum..

Scrabbleship

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2008, 05:17:38 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'178909\' date=\'Feb 25 2008, 02:38 PM\']
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'178907\' date=\'Feb 25 2008, 02:32 PM\']
having that said, the "Dublin" variety of Dr. Pepper which is a special version they make at the Dublin, Texas plant is made with pure cane sugar, and they bottle it in an old style DP 2/4/10 bottle and it is by far the most fantastic dark cola one can consume (it's a close contest with RC) .. I know of only one store here that sells it, I don't even know if you can get it out of state..
[/quote]
Apparently, yes, you can.  The Int3rn3tz got everything, just as you said. :-D  (I just picked up a new Dr. Pepper flavor yesterday: Cherry Chocolate Diet Dr. Pepper.  Whatever's in it, I bet they're not using cane sugar!)

[/quote]

Mexican-bottled Coke can also be found in many Mexican supermarkets and Mexican restaurants, sometimes quite far from the border. I know of a Mexican place here in Albany that sells assorted Mexican sodas including Coke.

There is also a third choice: In many parts of Canada, Coke (and Pepsi) are still bottled with cane sugar. I know Quebec and British Columbia bottle it with cane sugar, Ontario doesn't, and the Maritimes are a crap shoot.

catkins522

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2008, 07:12:01 PM »
You can buy Pepsi/Coke/Tab/some stange stuff online.  Go to :Sodapop.com.

Charles

PS...Easiest: DoND
Hardest: $1.98 Pagent
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

TimK2003

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2008, 10:22:56 PM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' post=\'178766\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 06:50 PM\']
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'178755\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 03:59 PM\']
Wow...that's weird.  There's Pibb in every grocery store in my area.  Stocked some today, even.
[/quote]
Seems like it can vary widely from market to market... Here in Denver, some of the stores still carry Tab but you never see it anywhere else hardly.
[/quote]

I'm now a "Pop" man living in a "soda" world in the Rockies as well.  Another long lost brand, Fresca, is also readily available in CO.  The ones I wonder if they still exist are Hires Root Beer and Teem.

Also in Colorado:

Traffic Circles are Roundabouts,
Expressways are Freeways,
and I-225 in Denver is also known as 2 and a Quarter.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
toughest/easiest million
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2008, 10:30:56 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'178971\' date=\'Feb 25 2008, 07:22 PM\']
Another long lost brand, Fresca, is also readily available in CO.[/quote]
Fresca, long lost? Not so much. It's been around as long as I can remember, and it's regularly stocked in the coolers at Microsoft.

/and it's the official drink of Tichu!
//http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5874/judgesmells5caet7.jpg
///does not approve
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

HYHYBT

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2008, 04:22:27 PM »
If you find an old favorite you thought they didn't make anymore, check the date... The last time I found Budwine in a store, around 2000-2001 or so, I thought, "Great! Haven't had one of those in ages!" and bought the last 6-pack. And it was the nastiest stuff I've ever intentionally put in my mouth. Apparently it *was* the last, the very last, because it turns out they quit making it in 1995.

On the bright side, I now know that that Ingle's doesn't do so well about rotating stock...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 04:22:54 PM by HYHYBT »
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages