Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Change In TPIR MDS...  (Read 10918 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 05:52:37 PM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' post=\'177703\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 02:49 PM\']
Just make the budget bigger...
[/quote]
You were doing so well until you got here...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

bandit_bobby

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 06:18:41 PM »
With the $1,000,000 no longer applying to the wheel on these specials, do you think the top prize for the Big Wheel will be lowered to $100,000 now (when the primetime specials came back in 2002, that's what the big cash prize was)?

Clay Zambo

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 06:18:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'177657\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 11:49 AM\']
Of course, aside from the potential Showcase win of $1 million, this still leaves the possibility that the Showcase, which is supposed to be the climax of the show, could end up paling in comparison to someone's earlier $1 million win in a pricing game.  The big winner of the night might not even end up in the Showcase.  If it were up to me, I'd use the Showcase-bid-within-$1,000 as the only way someone could win the million.  [/quote]

An extraordinarily good point.  Though it could be said that there are lots of other ways for the showcase to pale in comparison to earlier play.  I win the Caddy on Golden Road, you take Plinko for a bundle, but neither of us spins luckily and the two schmos who beat us play to a double overbid...that's pretty anticlimactic.

By the way, the press release said it would be a classic pricing game, which seems to me to leave out "Let 'Em Roll" and "Pathfinder."  But play Any Number and win the car without putting any digits in the piggy bank...can't get much more a classic game than that, or a much tougher twist.

Edited: Having just seen the "Insider" clips--and, yeah, why the hell redo the set again, particularly to something so similar to the daytime version?--I gotta think Clock Game is a strong candidate for the Big Honkin' Bonus Prize of Potential Anti-Climacticism.  Win both prizes with, say, 10 seconds left on the clock, and win the mil?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 06:28:48 PM by Clay Zambo »
czambo@mac.com

tvwxman

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 07:23:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'177707\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 06:18 PM\']

Edited: Having just seen the "Insider" clips--and, yeah, why the hell redo the set again, particularly to something so similar to the daytime version?--I gotta think Clock Game is a strong candidate for the Big Honkin' Bonus Prize of Potential Anti-Climacticism.  Win both prizes with, say, 10 seconds left on the clock, and win the mil?
[/quote]
I think they'll do just that, but without your 'ten second' rule. Win two prizes, win one million dollars, and watch golden-road.net explode.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

bandit_bobby

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 08:51:08 PM »
I have a few Million Dollar Game Ideas:

Lucky $even: Guess all four digits in the car price exactly right (after the first one is given for free, of course).
Shell Game: After getting all four chips, pick the shell with the ball under it.
Pocket Change: Win without making a mistake pricing the car.

TimK2003

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 09:30:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'177664\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 02:13 PM\']
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'177659\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 12:22 PM\']
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' post=\'177653\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 11:04 AM\']Given the accuracy of bids in the previous 20 or so MDS, however, I can understand this logic.[/quote]Surely you jest (yes, I know that only one bid was revealed).[/quote]
Yes, he was jesting.  When he said "Given the accuracy...", what he literally meant was "Given the inaccuracy..."  He was saying that since the MDS typically have really, really bad bids, offering a $1000 window rather than a $500 window makes more sense if they ever hope to have a winner, even though his preference would be a $500 window as a measure of skill.
[/quote]

Here's a catch-all solution for the $1M Prize, if attached only to the showcases:

If a contestant wins & gets within $1000 of their showcase w/o going over --> DSW
If a contestant wins & gets within $500 of their showcase WGO --> DSW +$1M

IMHO, naming one regular pricing game as "The Million Dollar Game Of the Day" sounds a little desperate and "Million Dollar Plinko" is overkill.

Steve Gavazzi

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 11:17:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'177655\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 11:23 AM\']But here you're talking about situations that fall into the category of Things That Will Not Happen.  (I know no one's ever come close to winning Plinko absolutely perfectly, and if a player has ever managed it on Three Strikes, I'd be mightily impressed.)[/quote]
Not that this changes the point of your post or anything, but the contestant who played Plinko on November 30, 1990, won $21,000.  So actually, yes, someone has.

clemon79

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 11:22:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'177737\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 08:17 PM\']
Not that this changes the point of your post or anything, but the contestant who played Plinko on November 30, 1990, won $21,000.  So actually, yes, someone has.
[/quote]
Zach! What have you done with Steve! Put him back on. Now. :)

HYHYBT

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 11:54:51 PM »
I like the idea of a million dollar bonus as an extension of the double Showcase rule... but a problem with giving it for playing a regular game perfectly is that, as soon as you're *not* perfect (say, a prize out of order in Hole In One) you've basically lost, yet still have the rest of the game to play. It would effectively make the car a consolation prize.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

clemon79

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 12:23:26 AM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'177741\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 08:54 PM\']
I like the idea of a million dollar bonus as an extension of the double Showcase rule... but a problem with giving it for playing a regular game perfectly is that, as soon as you're *not* perfect (say, a prize out of order in Hole In One) you've basically lost, yet still have the rest of the game to play. It would effectively make the car a consolation prize.
[/quote]
Precisely what I was gonna say. The downer of "Aw, you can't win a million dollars, but you can still win a prize! is gonna make for bad TV.

Kevin Prather

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 12:31:08 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'177745\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 09:23 PM\']
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'177741\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 08:54 PM\']
[/quote]
Precisely what I was gonna say. The downer of "Aw, you can't win a million dollars, but you can still win a prize! is gonna make for bad TV.
[/quote]
I think you said it best not too long ago. Some television formats just aren't supposed to have "The $1 Million" before their names.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 01:03:15 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'177745\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 09:23 PM\'][quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'177741\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 08:54 PM\']I like the idea of a million dollar bonus as an extension of the double Showcase rule... but a problem with giving it for playing a regular game perfectly is that, as soon as you're *not* perfect (say, a prize out of order in Hole In One) you've basically lost, yet still have the rest of the game to play. It would effectively make the car a consolation prize.[/quote]Precisely what I was gonna say. The downer of "Aw, you can't win a million dollars, but you can still win a prize! is gonna make for bad TV.[/quote]Not only that, but you've shot your wad on the million bucks. And what if that's the first game of the show? How much of the audience will tune out when they realize that the big draw is out of play except for the Double Showcase? Of course, that was true of the Million Dollar Spin, too.

The 1986 Specials and Armed Forces Salutes worked just fine without a string of zeroes attached. TPIR is still the happiest place on earth whether or not someone can vault to the top tax bracket on a fluke.
Travis L. Eberle

Steve Gavazzi

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 02:13:00 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'177747\' date=\'Feb 13 2008, 01:03 AM\']The...Armed Forces Salutes worked just fine without a string of zeroes attached.[/quote]
$100,000 isn't a string of zeroes?

sshuffield70

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 07:58:55 AM »
In the showcases, I'd say <$1000 = DSW.  Then <$100 = Million.  I mean, it should not be given away on every show.  Make it reasonable, but harder.

Matt Ottinger

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 08:37:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'177737\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 11:17 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'177655\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 11:23 AM\']But here you're talking about situations that fall into the category of Things That Will Not Happen.  (I know no one's ever come close to winning Plinko absolutely perfectly, and if a player has ever managed it on Three Strikes, I'd be mightily impressed.)[/quote]
Not that this changes the point of your post or anything, but the contestant who played Plinko on November 30, 1990, won $21,000.  So actually, yes, someone has.[/quote]
Damn, that is pretty close to perfect.  Still, no one's actually been perfect in hundreds of plays, meaning that as a Million Dollar Game would be a virtually guaranteed non-win.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.