Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Free 4 All  (Read 4668 times)

DrJWJustice

Free 4 All
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 07:53:56 PM »
[quote name=\'GrandMasterGalvatron\' post=\'175488\' date=\'Jan 18 2008, 11:46 PM\']
Yes..I'm gonna bring that up.  I guess you could consider me a n00b trying to learn the game or whatever.  I remember watching this show when I was a kid.  I've been searching for info on it for a long time now, and I see that it is all but universally hated.  Just figured I'd ask why this seems to be the case.

I know I certainly didn't mind it back in the day...loved the theme song.  Though I was what...ten?  I probably wasn't interested into any deeper things than if I could answer the questions right and all.

So yes, all.  Enlighten me.
[/quote]

I think I watched about 15 minutes of it, realized that it was going absolutely nowhere, and tuned in something else.  I was not entertaining.  The question had nothing special to them at all. There was no gameboard, per se, requiring more than just quick reflexes on a buzzer.  About the most exciting thing was watching the host and the teams running together onto the stage at the start, and even that wasn't very enthusiastic.  I don't even think giving it a $1 million jackpot (cliché by today's standards, almost unheard of back then) would have helped it.

BrandonFG

Free 4 All
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 08:10:39 PM »
Side note: I believe this and "Quicksilver" were the first two shows not to use an announcer, which is somewhat the norm, at least in primetime ("Millionaire" and "Temptation" are the only daytime shows without one).

At the time, it left a sour aftertaste for me. Now that I realize just how cheap both shows were (the set, the budgets), that's another reason for me to think this might have been a stopgap, along with "Quicksilver".
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TimK2003

Free 4 All
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 09:05:55 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'175651\' date=\'Jan 20 2008, 08:45 PM\']
I wonder if he's truly "most improved," or if he looks bad because of the absolute crap formats he's had to deal with.[/quote]

Judging by the (sarcasm meter ON) 1 or 2 (/SM) commercials I've seen on his new show coming up on Wednesday, I really don't think you've seen THE "absolute crap format" just yet.

Then again, here in Western Colorado, we may have lucked out.  The building that housed our CBS, Fox and MyNetwork affiliates burned to the ground earlier in the day, and it may be a while before many of us see those local channels up and running again (although Dish and some local cable providers are pulling in direct network feeds from either the coasts or Denver to compensate -- just in time for the AFC & NFC Championship Games!!!)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Free 4 All
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 09:31:38 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'175665\' date=\'Jan 20 2008, 06:05 PM\']Judging by the (sarcasm meter ON) 1 or 2 (/SM) commercials I've seen on his new show coming up on Wednesday, I really don't think you've seen THE "absolute crap format" just yet. [/quote]I'm differentiating between crap as in "no game, no chrome, no reason for me to stay awake" and "this could work as a filler act on Jerry Springer." For all we know, Moment of Truth may bring out Mark's talents. Or it may no.
Travis L. Eberle

tvmitch

Free 4 All
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 09:53:43 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'175657\' date=\'Jan 20 2008, 08:10 PM\']
Side note: I believe this and "Quicksilver" were the first two shows not to use an announcer...
[/quote]
This is what I remember about the show. And that's about it. I remember that Quicksilver was more watchable, and also thinking, why the heck isn't USA airing real game shows instead of making crap ones?
You should follow me on Twitter