Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Now let's get to the cards (and applaud?)  (Read 6028 times)

tyshaun1

Now let's get to the cards (and applaud?)
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 08:29:02 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'174851\' date=\'Jan 14 2008, 03:52 PM\']
I dimly remember one instance where Richard stated on air how much he disliked the music.  He then asked Howard what kind of fly-by-night operation composed the music for the show.  You could faintly hear Howard say "Score Productions," but either ABC or GSN dubbed "fly-by-night" over "Score" when Richard repeated it.
[/quote]
Which is ironcidental, since often the audience would clap along to the closing theme....

Tyshaun

TimK2003

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2008, 08:32:52 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'174822\' date=\'Jan 14 2008, 02:36 PM\']

In reality, I think it's more about building some momentum. As for applauding the movement of set pieces, Johnny O exlained to me that it's about covering what would otherwise be awkward moments of silence.
[/quote]

Exactly!  Look at the early Barker TPiR episodes.  Applause (live or canned) was either sparse or non-existent when the first 4 contestants first stood up before coming on down as well when the IUFB first came out.  It really did sound awkward!

Cutting off credits/plugs mid-way through (even if in a small box) and moving straight to the next show looks very unprofessional to me.

I can remember way back in the latter half of the 70's, when either indies WKBD-TV 50 and/or WXON/TV-20 in Detroit had fun with the proverbial meat cleaver:

Not only did they eliminate the closing credits from most of the afternoon sitcom reruns, they also hacked 2 to 3 minutes off of 6 or 7-minute Bugs Bunny/Warner Brothers cartoons.  And mind you this was well before the cry from the anti-violence people demanding that anvils and gunshots be edited from WB cartoons.

dale_grass

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2008, 01:13:12 AM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'174898\' date=\'Jan 14 2008, 09:29 PM\']
Which is ironcidental, since often the audience would clap along to the closing theme....
[/quote]

OK, now you're just hedging your bets.  (And yes, we've caught Richard clapping and bouncing around from time to time.)

HYHYBT

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 01:23:59 AM »
...Applause (live or canned) was either sparse or non-existent when the first 4 contestants first stood up before coming on down...
Would be an interesting place to try adding canned applause, though, while the audience is on camera sitting still.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Ian Wallis

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2008, 04:28:05 PM »
Would be an interesting place to try adding canned applause, though, while the audience is on camera sitting still.

That's happened on occasion on other shows.  An '80s Tattletales that GSN aired has canned applause during the credits...and a closing shot of the audience just sitting there.

Ouch...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2008, 04:32:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'175143\' date=\'Jan 16 2008, 04:28 PM\']

That's happened on occasion on other shows.
[/quote]
Heck, the current crop of game show producers made it an art form!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

uncamark

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2008, 05:19:28 PM »
It seemed like frequently on "Tattletales," the camera that shot the panel and Bert's profile would pull out before the last break and we'd hear applause, but from the backs of the Bananas Section it didn't look like they were applauding.

(God, I hope they were applauding if they won.)