Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Own a WOF Woolery/Shopping Era Prize!  (Read 5783 times)

Mike Tennant

Own a WOF Woolery/Shopping Era Prize!
« on: September 03, 2004, 11:42:45 AM »
Someone's selling a Tiffany & Co. dessert China set on eBay.  The description says:  "This set was won on the WHEEL OF FORTUNE during the reign of Chuck Woolery and Susan Stafford when the contestants won prize showcases instead of money. This set was part of a $4000.00 luxury Beverly Hills Showcase."

Interesting.

(Now waiting for Zach to tell us the exact date on which this won and who the winner was, what puzzle he or she solved to go shopping for this, etc.)

Skynet74

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 01:43:25 PM »
I was hoping that it was the Ceramic Dalmation!   Damn!!! ;-)

John

J.R.

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 06:05:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 10:42 AM\'] Someone's selling a Tiffany & Co. dessert China set on eBay.  The description says:  "This set was won on the WHEEL OF FORTUNE during the reign of Chuck Woolery and Susan Stafford when the contestants won prize showcases instead of money. This set was part of a $4000.00 luxury Beverly Hills Showcase."

Interesting.

(Now waiting for Zach to tell us the exact date on which this won and who the winner was, what puzzle he or she solved to go shopping for this, etc.) [/quote]

"Patti Hougson. April 19, 1977. The puzzle was "Farmers Almanac". She was a two-day champ with a total of $12,550 in prizes." : )

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 06:50:28 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 05:05 PM\'] [quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 10:42 AM\'] Someone's selling a Tiffany & Co. dessert China set on eBay.  The description says:  "This set was won on the WHEEL OF FORTUNE during the reign of Chuck Woolery and Susan Stafford when the contestants won prize showcases instead of money. This set was part of a $4000.00 luxury Beverly Hills Showcase."

Interesting.

(Now waiting for Zach to tell us the exact date on which this won and who the winner was, what puzzle he or she solved to go shopping for this, etc.) [/quote]

"Patti Hougson. April 19, 1977. The puzzle was "Farmers Almanac". She was a two-day champ with a total of $12,550 in prizes." : )

-Joe R. [/quote]
Nope, it was $12,577...she put the extra $27 on account. :-)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 03:00:59 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Don Howard

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 08:12:43 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 05:50 PM\'] [quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 05:05 PM\'] [quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 10:42 AM\'] Someone's selling a Tiffany & Co. dessert China set on eBay.  The description says:  "This set was won on the WHEEL OF FORTUNE during the reign of Chuck Woolery and Susan Stafford when the contestants won prize showcases instead of money. This set was part of a $4000.00 luxury Beverly Hills Showcase."

Interesting.

-Joe R. [/quote]
Nope, it was $12,577...she put the extra $23 on account. :-) [/quote]
 I remember that. There was a full credit roll that day. Mel Brandt was the NBC booth announcer who plugged that week's episodes of The Rockford Files and Police Story over the closing theme.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 10:28:45 PM »
This brought to mind the "How to be a contestant" book that Dave Wagner wrote eons ago.  In it, he mentions the dozen or so ways that you can deal with prizes you win, he mentions selling them.  'course, you still have to pay taxes on the money you clear, and all that, but one of the things he mentions is that you can't mention the show you won it on.  Is he right, that you can't say that you won that phat car on TPIR, or that damn dog sculpture on Wheel, or is he just wrong?
Travis L. Eberle

Argo

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 10:23:34 PM »
speaking of long credit roll days, did the theme just loop or did they edit it a bit or something?

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 12:29:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Argo\' date=\'Sep 6 2004, 09:23 PM\']speaking of long credit roll days, did the theme just loop or did they edit it a bit or something?[/quote]
It looped.  Game show themes almost always loop, unless you're "WWTBAM" or Nickelodeon shows or the second theme on "Who, What or Where Game."  Then you back time.

And Don, may I point out that on that day the West Coast lucked out and got Peggy Taylor in the booth in Burbank.  What a set of pipes she had.  :)

JCGames

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 08:54:10 PM »
Peggy Taylor.....the name is familiar....was this the same Peggy who sang on Stan Freberg's radio show in 1957? She's "Alice Leen" singing Moonlight and Shadows on the Lawrence Welk spoof. Wuunnerful, a-wunnerful-am!

IIRC, Mel Brandt was the voice behind the blooming of the Peacock in the 'living color' announcement. He was the announcer on GE College Bowl during the NBC part of the run.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 08:55:41 PM by JCGames »

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 03:51:05 PM »
[quote name=\'JCGames\' date=\'Sep 7 2004, 07:54 PM\']Peggy Taylor.....the name is familiar....was this the same Peggy who sang on Stan Freberg's radio show in 1957? She's "Alice Leen" singing Moonlight and Shadows on the Lawrence Welk spoof. Wuunnerful, a-wunnerful-am![/quote]
That would be her.  In the 70s she was NBC's first and only female staff announcer heard regularly on the network (frequently in the Pacific time zone and as an announcer on NBC's movie slots).  It also seems to me that she was the last staff announcer NBC ever hired in New York or Burbank.

One wonders that if she was working as an announcer back in the days when staff announcers often did game shows if any producer would've given her a shot (although her voice might've been too husky for a game show).

ChuckNet

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 07:00:04 PM »
It looped. Game show themes almost always loop, unless you're "WWTBAM" or Nickelodeon shows or the second theme on "Who, What or Where Game." Then you back time.

A few other shows backtimed their themes, as well...Pitfall, Treasure Mall, and the FAM InterActive games come to mind.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

W.B.

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 08:05:26 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'56250\' date=\'Sep 8 2004, 02:51 PM\']
[quote name=\'JCGames\' date=\'Sep 7 2004, 07:54 PM\']Peggy Taylor.....the name is familiar....was this the same Peggy who sang on Stan Freberg's radio show in 1957? She's "Alice Leen" singing Moonlight and Shadows on the Lawrence Welk spoof. Wuunnerful, a-wunnerful-am![/quote]
That would be her.  In the 70s she was NBC's first and only female staff announcer heard regularly on the network (frequently in the Pacific time zone and as an announcer on NBC's movie slots).  It also seems to me that she was the last staff announcer NBC ever hired in New York or Burbank.

One wonders that if she was working as an announcer back in the days when staff announcers often did game shows if any producer would've given her a shot (although her voice might've been too husky for a game show).[/quote]
That sentence in parentheses on the last paragraph was an interesting observation, given that during her days as a singer on the Freberg show (and for that matter, before that on Don McNeill's Breakfast Club), her voice was as clear as a bell, comparable with such other female vocalists as Helen Forrest . . . but I digress.

I read that she'd joined NBC Burbank's announcing staff in March 1973.  Now if she was the last to be hired, when did fellow West Coast voicer Victor Bozeman (the only other African-American that I know of besides New York-based Fred Facey to be employed by the network as an announcer) join?  I assume his hiring would've preceded hers . . . furthermore, given what I've read from various places about Don Stanley's long run as West Coast NBC announcer ending in 1990 (and his being quoted in an old-time radio book as saying he was the last of the network's staff announcers on "the Coast" to leave), when did Ms. Taylor's tenure come to a close (also, considering Bozeman's death in 1986, and Donald Rickles' passing the year before that)?

Johnissoevil

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 12:48:23 AM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'55736\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 05:05 PM\']
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 10:42 AM\']

-Joe R.
[/quote]

JRIFOS! :-P
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

J.R.

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 02:42:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' post=\'173125\' date=\'Dec 25 2007, 11:48 PM\']JRIFOS! :-P[/quote]
I lol'd. Hard. :-P
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 02:53:05 AM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor