Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: H2 wk of 10/6  (Read 2340 times)

ChuckNet

H2 wk of 10/6
« on: September 28, 2003, 12:43:15 PM »
Not heard from in the GS arena since MG '98 went off 4 yrs ago, Judy Tenuta will be appearing on H2 the wk of 10/6-10.

Be afraid, be very afraid...

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

PeterMarshallFan

H2 wk of 10/6
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2003, 12:44:41 PM »
NNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Let's see...we've had Hamilton and Lawrence, now Tenuta....did Nell Carter ever do this version?

[counts the days until Michael Burger shows up on there]

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
H2 wk of 10/6
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2003, 02:57:32 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 28 2003, 09:44 AM\'] Let's see...we've had Hamilton and Lawrence, now Tenuta....did Nell Carter ever do this version?
 [/quote]
 No. They don't have the expanded bottom-left square for this version that they did on the Davidson show. ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

pyrfan

H2 wk of 10/6
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2003, 12:11:11 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 28 2003, 01:57 PM\'][quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 28 2003, 09:44 AM\'] Let's see...we've had Hamilton and Lawrence, now Tenuta....did Nell Carter ever do this version?
 [/quote]
No. They don't have the expanded bottom-left square for this version that they did on the Davidson show. ;)[/quote]

Come on, man, that's just not nice. It would be in bad taste even if she were still with us. You can condescend to me all you want, but Nell was a great performer who had a lot of warmth and enthusiasm, and she deserves better than that.

I hope her ghost pours her water bottle all over you as you sleep tonight.

Brendan

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
H2 wk of 10/6
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2003, 01:33:51 AM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' date=\'Sep 28 2003, 09:11 PM\'] I hope her ghost pours her water bottle all over you as you sleep tonight.
 [/quote]
 So you're saying that simply because she's dead I shouldn't make the same joke I would make if she were still alive?

That's not in line with my beliefs, but I'm sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

H2 wk of 10/6
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2003, 09:13:43 AM »
For the record, I think Brendan was pretty clear that he felt \"it would be in bad taste even if she were still with us.\"  Delicate sensibilities notwithstanding, the fact that she's no longer alive doesn't seem to have a bearing on his opinion.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JMFabiano

H2 wk of 10/6
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2003, 01:43:46 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 28 2003, 01:57 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 28 2003, 09:44 AM\'] Let's see...we've had Hamilton and Lawrence, now Tenuta....did Nell Carter ever do this version?
 [/quote]
No. They don't have the expanded bottom-left square for this version that they did on the Davidson show. ;) [/quote]
If they did, wouldn't they use it for Anna Nicole Smith?  

And Tenuta gets on before Caroline Rhea is invited back?  Example #4852 of there being no justice in the world.  

And while we're on the topic, does Vicki appearing on H2 as Mama (Thelma Harper) make anyone else fear the triumphant return of Jon Bauman to Hollywood Squares?  (Though at this rate he'd come before Caroline too...grr....)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 08:44:12 AM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

pyrfan

H2 wk of 10/6
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2003, 03:08:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 29 2003, 12:33 AM\']So you're saying that simply because she's dead I shouldn't make the same joke I would make if she were still alive?

That's not in line with my beliefs, but I'm sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities.[/quote]
At the risk of taking this whole thing deliriously off-topic, I guess I should clear things up a little. In the specific case of Nell Carter, she died because of complications related to her weight problem. To me, that makes jokes about her weight that much more in poor taste. But as I said, they would still be in poor taste even if she were still alive.

I especially took the joke about Nell to heart because in the early '80s, my whole family laughed along with her and her TV gang in \"Gimme a Break!\" every week. Whenever I saw Nell in anything else -- usually as herself -- I always felt that what you see is what you get with her, and what I saw was a very talented woman full of joy and love and who loved people.

The funny thing is, I think she probably would have laughed at Chris's joke -- which, despite its questionable taste, was clever. She never tried to shy away from the issue of her weight, and it almost became part of her personality. I just think that because her weight was responsible for the health problems which led to her death, jokes about her weight are in bad taste -- much in the same way that jokes about anorexia may already be in bad taste, but when making jokes about Karen Carpenter's weight, they're even more so.

In general, I agree with you, Chris. Just because someone dies, that doesn't mean that you have to treat their image with kid gloves. I thought all the beatification of Nixon when he died was the height of hypocrisy. But because Nell died because of her size, that joke hit my \"delicate sensibilities\" a little too close.

Brendan