Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game DVD set for $4.99+ S/H  (Read 5993 times)

tvmitch

Match Game DVD set for $4.99+ S/H
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2007, 05:05:17 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'168360\' date=\'Oct 31 2007, 04:00 PM\']
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'168359\' date=\'Oct 31 2007, 12:53 PM\']
Amazon, Staples, all the larger web stores cancel orders and send "too bad" emails all the time.[/quote]
They can also afford to discount the (comparatively minimal) bad PR that that gets them. Based on the website, I'm gonna guess Family Video isn't at that point yet.
[/quote]
And Amazon, in all their glory, knows full well that there are very few people who, armed with a $5 GC for their site, will spend only $5. (Or for that matter, $20.) So yeah, it's a giveaway on their part, but it's going to someone who might not have bought something again from them, and those suckers probably get redeemed pretty fast.

Anyway, Family Video, live and learn I guess.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 05:05:34 PM by mitchgroff »
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2007, 05:35:09 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'168368\' date=\'Oct 31 2007, 02:05 PM\']
And Amazon, in all their glory, knows full well that there are very few people who, armed with a $5 GC for their site, will spend only $5. (Or for that matter, $20.) So yeah, it's a giveaway on their part, but it's going to someone who might not have bought something again from them, and those suckers probably get redeemed pretty fast.[/quote]
Absolutely. (See iPhone, Early Sucker Rebate.)

I'm not suggesting I wouldn't do business with Family Video again. (If they'd cancelled the order, that would be a different matter entirely.) But I'll take the heel-dragging into account, and I don't think I would order something from them that might have any sort of a scarcity, like a preorder for a video game or anything...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 05:37:03 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2007, 07:39:58 PM »
Interesting contrast here:

Yesterday, meritline.com advertised a 4GB MicroSD card for $20. (They're usually in the $50 neighborhood.) I ordered one. Today, their website tells me the order has been cancelled as they are "sold out". Couple hundred posts about this on SlickDeals, and not ONE has mentioned that their's shipped; they just cancelled them all when they realize they screwed up the price.

That's meritline.com. Don't do business with them. Ever.

dzinkin

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2007, 07:46:15 PM »
Late followup: After having received numerous emails with various versions of "we don't have any and we don't know when we're ever going to get any," I finally called FamilyVideo this week.  A representative told me that they hadn't gotten any in since the original offer... and since I knew that that wasn't true based on the stories told here (and told her so), I asked to speak with a supervisor.  When the representative tried to talk me out of speaking with a supervisor, I offered to refer the matter to the state's attorney general and let that office sort it out.  She relented, and put me through to the supervisor -- who said "I just happen to have one of those sets sitting here on my desk" and promptly sent it to me.

I can deal with delays but not lies.  Do I think it's emblematic of the whole company?  No, but I'd also give it a lot of thought before considering another order.

clemon79

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'172731\' date=\'Dec 21 2007, 04:46 PM\']
I can deal with delays but not lies.  Do I think it's emblematic of the whole company?  No, but I'd also give it a lot of thought before considering another order.
[/quote]
Holy good lord. Yeah, now I AM suggesting that I wouldn't do business with these folks again, I don't care HOW good the deal is.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2007, 09:55:49 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'172731\' date=\'Dec 21 2007, 07:46 PM\']She relented, and put me through to the supervisor -- who said "I just happen to have one of those sets sitting here on my desk" and promptly sent it to me.[/quote]
Well, no wonder they're having so much trouble, what with their products being strewn randomly across supervisors' desks.

(WAS A THAT JOKE, you have 15 seconds.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

bwood

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2007, 01:19:26 AM »
I got an email 2 days ago that they were out of stock, not getting any more in, and that my order was cancelled. Not a big deal to me, because it wasn't something I absolutely had to have.

clemon79

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2007, 06:47:52 AM »
I will point out one place where their ineptitude worked in my favor: they never charged my credit card for the thing, despite me CALLING THEM and TELLING THEM that I hadn't been charged. They claimed their records showed I had been, which probably means some other poor schmuck got charged for it and never noticed. After all of that, I didn't feel particularly inclined to insist.