Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: most heartbreaking moments in game show history  (Read 20264 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
most heartbreaking moments in game show history
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2007, 05:39:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'172189\' date=\'Dec 15 2007, 07:32 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'172182\' date=\'Dec 15 2007, 08:30 PM\']Jack steps away from the podium and the screen doors open to reveal:

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/6084/hairafterwr2.jpg[/quote]
Was that for me? I honestly can't tell, since my reply was so goofy.
[/quote]
Oh, eep. No, that was for the dude who failed to call Fast Forward Proctology.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2007, 10:28:48 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'172293\' date=\'Dec 17 2007, 05:36 PM\']
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'172290\' date=\'Dec 17 2007, 01:50 PM\']
I'm not telling it well, but the girl was sweet and overcoming a serious disadvantage. She could read lips, but didn't want to admit she was deaf so as not to appear weak.[/quote]
I'm sure she was delightful. But:

1) the highest compliment her opponents could have paid her was to treat her like everyone else, and that means not giving her special dispensation for being deaf, and

2) She screwed up. She had power, she fumbled when she had the chance to use it, and as a result she got bounced. I just have a hard time feeling sorry for that. At ALL.
[/quote]

But she really was delightful! And her opponents were really rotten!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 10:30:06 PM by Neumms »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2007, 10:35:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'172323\' date=\'Dec 17 2007, 07:28 PM\']But she really was delightful! And her opponents were really rotten![/quote]What show are YOU watching?

Seriously. Survivor isn't about being a peachy guy, it's about winning a million dollars. Christy had a chance to get in with one of two alliances, dallied, and got punted. That's not rotten, that's getting rid of a potential liability.

You can bang the "she was screwed!" drum all you want, but you're wrong. And her elimination was no more "heartbreaking" than any other elimination. (I submit that the original question is flawed anyway, but I'm not going to pee in the sandbox any more than is necessary to make my point.) And your calling Probst a heel for refusing to coddle her mistake proves that you don't watch the show nearly enough: he calls things the way they are.
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2007, 11:24:09 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'172324\' date=\'Dec 17 2007, 10:35 PM\']
You can bang the "she was screwed!" drum all you want, but you're wrong. And her elimination was no more "heartbreaking" than any other elimination. (I submit that the original question is flawed anyway, but I'm not going to pee in the sandbox any more than is necessary to make my point.) And your calling Probst a heel for refusing to coddle her mistake proves that you don't watch the show nearly enough: he calls things the way they are.
[/quote]

I didn't say she was screwed, but she was a rare player to root for--especially with the rotten eggs she was playing against--and it was sad to see her go, much sadder than other eliminations.

Probst isn't exactly Howard Cosell, either. He was right to bring up the mistake, but he said nothing positive about her having the nerve to compete, while he had no trouble lauding other players who lost who overcame far less.

And what's up asking the guy last night if he's still a virgin?

Jay Temple

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2007, 12:16:56 AM »
For any edition of Survivor after the first, you know exactly what you're getting into, so I don't think any elimination could be considered heartbreaking.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

ChuckNet

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2007, 01:18:19 AM »
For any edition of Survivor after the first, you know exactly what you're getting into, so I don't think any elimination could be considered heartbreaking.

Personally, I thought the infamous "purple rock incident" from season 4 was quite the heartbreaker...I know my entire fam gasped in shock when when we saw Paschal draw it.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2007, 01:35:29 AM »
Larry Anderson, not Geoff Edwards. Larry told the story at one of the Game Show Congresses. To hear him tell it, that incident led to him being let go by the program.

That'd be one reason for his sudden departure...you'd think they could've found a better replacement than Jack Gallagher, though.

lobster

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2007, 12:50:08 AM »
I have this great clip of what I have always believed to be the quintessential game show heartbreaker.. :D

Betty White is giving the clues in Alphabetics on Super Password (I think they just called it "the end game" there, though, didn't they?) where the jackpot was $15,000 .. Letters B through K.. Contestant nails the first 9 words beautifully, about 11 seconds left on the clock, and the last password is "KARATE" .. Betty starts to stammer, gets a little flustered, and then yells out "KUNG FU!" .. Contestant guesses "Karate", audience goes nuts, lights flash, cue starts to play, and then you hear that distinct SP "eh-eh-eh-eh!  eh-eh-eh-eh!" illegal clue noise about four seconds into the celebration..  Betty turns around to the judge's desk (?) and Bert confirms she gave a two-word clue, so in disgust and shock, she ends up flinging her glasses across the set!  

Contestant gets $900 instead of $15,000 and you could tell Betty felt genuinely horrible about it..  Confesses she was trying to come up with "Jujitsu" but couldn't think  of the word .. ah, the pressure of timed word game bonus rounds... gotta love that stuff..

I'll find it and u/l it :D
LObs

tpirfan28

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2007, 09:18:50 AM »
That's a great one...not only because of the interruption of the celebration, but because it was Betty.  Even the pro of the pros can goof it up sometimes (and then everyone in the room except the guy who cares (the judge) thinks it's gold because SHE never screws up.)
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Kevin Prather

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2007, 01:30:57 AM »
What's unfortunate about that is I can remember at least one other occasion where the judge missed a two-word clue the first time, and let the win stand because of it.

ChuckNet

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2007, 01:23:49 PM »
There was also an ep early in the show's run where Jon Bauman offered the clue "Jack-O" for the final word, "lantern"...once again, the judges didn't catch it until he and his partner were celebrating their apparent $30K win.

mbclev

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2007, 02:28:36 PM »
[quote name=\'GameShowFan\' post=\'171915\' date=\'Dec 12 2007, 06:58 PM\']
In one of the first J! ToCs, a player hit a Daily Double, bet it all, and had the right response cold... and forgot to use the correct phrasing. What would have been a nail-biter turned into a blowout.
[/quote]

I can add to that what happened in the 1995 ToC, when David Siegel forgot to phrase a Daily Double response correctly in game one of that tournament's final, and it ultimately cost him, because he wagered $800 on that DD, and he lost to Ryan Holznagel by $1301, less than the $1600 turnaround that would have happened had he phrased that response properly.  (Someone on the J! message board finally agreed with me on this, essentially.)

Kevin Prather

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2007, 05:06:19 PM »
So if you forget to phrase it correctly, does Alex immediately call you wrong, or does he pause, giving you a chance to correct yourself? I know I've seen him do the latter for some regular clues.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2007, 05:26:51 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'172821\' date=\'Dec 22 2007, 02:06 PM\']
So if you forget to phrase it correctly, does Alex immediately call you wrong, or does he pause, giving you a chance to correct yourself? I know I've seen him do the latter for some regular clues.
[/quote]
IIRC (and maybe this has changed), he will prompt you in the first round, but in the second round, he'll give you a moment to see if you realize your error, and then call you wrong.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2007, 06:09:54 PM »
[quote name=\'mbclev\' post=\'172796\' date=\'Dec 22 2007, 02:28 PM\']I can add to that what happened in the 1995 ToC, when David Siegel forgot to phrase a Daily Double response correctly in game one of that tournament's final, and it ultimately cost him, because he wagered $800 on that DD, and he lost to Ryan Holznagel by $1301, less than the $1600 turnaround that would have happened had he phrased that response properly.  (Someone on the J! message board finally agreed with me on this, essentially.)[/quote]
And who was it who agreed with him? Drumroll, please . . .

Ta-da! (Also note the opinion of Holznagel himself, a little further down the page.)

But remember, it doesn't matter that there was more than an entire game of Jeopardy! between that missed Daily Double and the end of the final. 1600 > 1301, and if you don't see that that makes the missed Daily Double the one and only factor in the outcome of the tournament, you will eventually GET YELLED AT.

====

Chris: From what I've gathered, that's essentially right, except that I don't think Alex is supposed to prompt on the first round's Daily Double, either. How long Alex gives a contestant to correct themselves can vary widely, as well.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin