Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Variety Reviews 'Duel'  (Read 1947 times)

sotcfan2004

Variety Reviews 'Duel'
« on: December 16, 2007, 10:24:48 PM »
Read all about it HERE

itiparanoid13

Variety Reviews 'Duel'
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 10:43:41 PM »
They have a small video preview on ABC's Duel website.  From what I saw there (and other things I was sent), it's a decent little show that they are making seem much larger than what it is.  In other words it's basically doing the same thing every other game show in the past few years has done.  There's not that much strategy and practically no poker aspect that's being talked about by ABC.  It's basically Millionaire mixing the ideas of picking as many answers as you want at a time to "Please jesus let my opponent miss before I do."  I guess just having chips on the set brings up poker.  Maybe if contestants gabbed it up a bit to bring on some more strategy and bluffing, but right now it seems like relative silence.

There's not much you can do to bluff your opponents nor do I see a huge amount of good in even doing it.  If you can just answer questions right you're fine.  Take the other player out of the game and just answer quickly and you should be able to win.  Greenberg's a pretty good host, it has a nice set and look, and I enjoy any show throws in trivia, especially some relatively tough trivia.  However,  it's no more special than pre-2008 1 VS 100 or Power of 10 to me.  I know it was just a short 2 question preview, but it's enough to know what the show's doing over and over and over.  It'll be a fun watch but it didn't blow me away; I probably would have rather seen PokerFace.  I'll be sure to watch of course, though.  Especially on Sunday.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 11:09:09 PM by itiparanoid13 »

weaklink75

Variety Reviews 'Duel'
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 05:51:48 PM »
Here's the Washington Post's review...I think it's just a bit unfair to the show (Tom Shales is known for hitjobs like this- this is more a thing about "look at what the networks are down to showing because of the strike" than anything else)...