Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New GSN game show...  (Read 8543 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
New GSN game show...
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 03:32:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'170966\' date=\'Nov 30 2007, 11:47 AM\']
I do wonder how quickly the clock will go up, if we're talking a brisk $1000 a second, or $20 a second with lots and lots of Corbin.[/quote]
"And let's start Round Three! Can I interest you in....<ding!> $20?"

<silence>

"No? Then how about....<ding!> $40!"

<silence>

I have to admit, I'm a little curious to see it, because I've seen a similar format floated here a couple times, and I want to see if it's as broken as I think it is.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

New GSN game show...
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 06:59:33 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'170972\' date=\'Nov 30 2007, 03:32 PM\']
"And let's start Round Three! Can I interest you in....<ding!> $20?"

<silence>

"No? Then how about....<ding!> $40!"

<silence>

I have to admit, I'm a little curious to see it, because I've seen a similar format floated here a couple times, and I want to see if it's as broken as I think it is.
[/quote]

But starting in Round Four it goes up in $35 increments.

Matt Ottinger

New GSN game show...
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 03:11:15 PM »
I'm not near my reference stuff right now, but a friend showed me a British Ant & Dev hosted show which was essentially this game of 'Chicken' but with a Q&A element that made it interesting.  The way it worked (IIRC) was that they asked a bunch of multiple-choice questions that people answered in secret.  Answers were not revealed to anybody, but then everybody bragged to each other about how well they did.  Then they started a countdown clock.  The first person to buzz in went home with the money he had earned, a small amount compared to the potential jackpot at the end.  But if no one buzzed in, then the player with the lowest score was eliminated and went home with nothing.  Very interesting game that works even better than described.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

New GSN game show...
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2007, 03:39:43 PM »
Poker Face. (And not just hosted - Ant & Dec created the format, too.) GREAT game. Best concept to come along in a very long time. ABC was supposed to pick it up as "The Con Test." Passed in favor of Show Me Teh Shatner. (Australia did indeed pick it up for a while, proving once again that they utterly pwn our asses at game show production.)

One of my very favorite players realized that bragging about how well you didn't doesn't really matter as much as hiding your performance from your opponents so they don't KNOW how well you did, and his main strategy was maintaining that he was rubbish and certainly at the bottom on every round. It confused everyone else enough that he did very well.

But, yeah, in terms of feasible game show wishes (since apparently doing Temptation right was a lot less feasible than I thought), I have "get that damned show on US television" right at the top of the list.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 03:40:18 PM by clemon79 »

Clay Zambo

New GSN game show...
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2007, 04:16:30 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'171063\' date=\'Dec 1 2007, 03:39 PM\']
Poker Face. (And not just hosted - Ant & Dec created the format, too.) GREAT game. Best concept to come along in a very long time.
[/quote]

Agreed.  It played brilliantly.  And this despite my initial thought that people bluffing and trash-talking would only contribute to the decline of Western Civilization.  I'd love to see it here.
czambo@mac.com

BrandonFG

New GSN game show...
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2007, 04:54:20 PM »
Poker Face. (And not just hosted - Ant & Dec created the format, too.) GREAT game. Best concept to come along in a very long time. ABC was supposed to pick it up as "The Con Test." Passed in favor of Show Me Teh Shatner. (Australia did indeed pick it up for a while, proving once again that they utterly pwn our asses at game show production.)
[/quote]
Every time I think about the brief Con Test clips I watched, I want to track down the exec who greenlit Shatner's Show. And then I'd...I'd...replace his $9 mocha latte with regular coffee...that'll get him, yep.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 04:56:48 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvwxman

New GSN game show...
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2007, 05:10:20 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'171071\' date=\'Dec 1 2007, 04:54 PM\']
[/quote]
Every time I think about the brief Con Test clips I watched, I want to track down the exec who greenlit Shatner's Show. And then I'd...I'd...replace his $9 mocha latte with regular coffee...that'll get him, yep.
[/quote]
Who hosted our version?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

New GSN game show...
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2007, 07:21:21 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'171075\' date=\'Dec 1 2007, 02:10 PM\']
Who hosted our version?
[/quote]
William Shatner. After they passed on it for his crapfest.

It's aired in the UK and in Australia.

tvwxman

New GSN game show...
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2007, 09:02:05 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'171085\' date=\'Dec 1 2007, 07:21 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'171075\' date=\'Dec 1 2007, 02:10 PM\']
Who hosted our version?
[/quote]
William Shatner. After they passed on it for his crapfest.

It's aired in the UK and in Australia.
[/quote]
Are you serious? Or am I missing something? They 'really' wanted him to host a show that badly?
-------------

Matt

clemon79

New GSN game show...
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2007, 10:19:26 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'171091\' date=\'Dec 1 2007, 06:02 PM\']
Are you serious? Or am I missing something? They 'really' wanted him to host a show that badly?
[/quote]
I think you're missing something. There *was no* U.S. version of The Con Test. ABC was going to make it, and then decided to make Show Me Teh Shatner instead.

tvwxman

New GSN game show...
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2007, 06:54:10 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'171100\' date=\'Dec 1 2007, 10:19 PM\']
I think you're missing something. There *was no* U.S. version of The Con Test. ABC was going to make it, and then decided to make Show Me Teh Shatner instead.
[/quote]
No , no, I know that. What is confusing me is what FosterGray wrote :

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'171071\' date=\'Dec 1 2007, 04:54 PM\']
[/quote]

Which leads me to believe that he's seen the Con Test, and since that's not what it was called in the UK, maybe he saw pilot clips for the U.S. version?

Or maybe not. :)
-------------

Matt

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
New GSN game show...
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2007, 01:41:36 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'171071\' date=\'Dec 1 2007, 04:54 PM\']I want to track down the exec who greenlit Shatner's Show. And then I'd...I'd...replace his $9 mocha latte with regular coffee...that'll get him, yep.
[/quote]
I find this line strangely amusing despite the fact I'd probably qualify for a *whoosh*

/Don't drink coffee, et al
//Or soda
///Or alcohol
////What does this say about me?
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

New GSN game show...
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2007, 02:17:39 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'171123\' date=\'Dec 2 2007, 03:54 AM\']
Which leads me to believe that he's seen the Con Test, and since that's not what it was called in the UK, maybe he saw pilot clips for the U.S. version?[/quote]
Ah, ok. No, far more likely that he saw clips from the Australian version, which did run as "The Con Test".

BrandonFG

New GSN game show...
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2007, 04:08:05 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'171145\' date=\'Dec 2 2007, 02:17 PM\']
Ah, ok. No, far more likely that he saw clips from the Australian version, which did run as "The Con Test".
[/quote]
Correct...I saw clips from the Aussie and UK versions.

Sorry for the confusion. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

uncamark

New GSN game show...
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2007, 05:54:45 PM »
The exec was a "she"--Andrea Wong, ABC reality queen who's now running programming at Lifetime (and bringing in a lot of reality shows--who'da thunk?)

Her farewell to ABC was greenlighting "National Bingo Night"--discuss.