Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Crosswords Close to Sinking? Colbert Speaks.  (Read 21745 times)

TimK2003

Crosswords Close to Sinking? Colbert Speaks.
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2008, 06:27:18 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'176404\' date=\'Jan 27 2008, 11:47 AM\']
[quote name=\'rbc101\' post=\'176396\' date=\'Jan 27 2008, 02:04 AM\']
Thanks, Ritch Colbert, Program Partners
[/quote]
Well hiya...welcome!  Nice to hear this show is getting a second season.  Yeah, the spoiler system is flawed, but I like the show more for the content anyway...I finally figured out why I don't do crossword puzzles.

And don't feel bad about the placement of the program...mine is up against Rachel Ray and Dr. Phil.
[/quote]

Our Fox's run was up against either the local or national newscasts, while the CBS affils run was up against The View, 700 Club and one of the judge shows.

(Both stations are still off the air after the fire last week.  You realize how bad the other 2 networks/channels are  on both the local & national levels when you lose the top two stations in the market).

WildJoker76

« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2008, 11:28:03 PM »
YaY, I'm glad this underrated game show is getting season #2 either way...now does anyone know the fate of Temptation, has it spent it's last temptation dollar? has the last purse been opened?

entguy1

« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2008, 07:50:05 PM »
[quote name=\'WildJoker76\' post=\'176439\' date=\'Jan 27 2008, 11:28 PM\']
YaY, I'm glad this underrated game show is getting season #2 either way...now does anyone know the fate of Temptation, has it spent it's last temptation dollar? has the last purse been opened?
[/quote]

TV Week says it's on the fence. Its ratings are low, but the -- eek -- home shopping element and money therein could save it for stations. There may also be a simultaneous cable run. But 20th said it will continue through the end of the season. (Didn't someone here say the entire season had already been shot?)

TimK2003

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
[quote name=\'WildJoker76\' post=\'176439\' date=\'Jan 28 2008, 12:28 AM\']
[/quote]

If it has, then it's going away with nothing but "lots of love" from it's host.

If it even dares to consider another season, then it's gonna need one hell of a major overhaul.  
(envisioning the scene from Animal House when after the "Road Trip", Flounder's borrowed car is rolled into the garage with John "Bluto" Belushi lighting the blow torch).

SteveR

« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2008, 09:39:47 AM »
Crosswords, as of the first reports from NAPTE, doesn't have a spot in the Washington DC schedule for the Fall.

WUSA-9 (CBS) is going with "The Doctors" for the 4:00 hour, replacing WWTBAM and Inside Edition.

WJLA-7 (ABC) jumped at the chance for the more-established franchise and will run Millionaire at 12:30 in place of MGC.

There aren't many other spots available for MGC. The only thing I can see is if WDCA-20 (MyNetwork) bails on/trims back Temptation (double-run at noon).

sshuffield70

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2008, 10:23:07 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'176561\' date=\'Jan 29 2008, 09:39 AM\']
Crosswords, as of the first reports from NAPTE, doesn't have a spot in the Washington DC schedule for the Fall.

WUSA-9 (CBS) is going with "The Doctors" for the 4:00 hour, replacing WWTBAM and Inside Edition.[/quote]

Why would any station order up reruns of a long canceled NBC soap opera anyway? ;)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2008, 10:50:12 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' post=\'176623\' date=\'Jan 29 2008, 10:23 PM\']
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'176561\' date=\'Jan 29 2008, 09:39 AM\']WUSA-9 (CBS) is going with "The Doctors" for the 4:00 hour, replacing WWTBAM and Inside Edition.[/quote]Why would any station order up reruns of a long canceled NBC soap opera anyway? ;)[/quote]
The same thought occurred to me as well.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2008, 11:02:38 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'176401\' date=\'Jan 27 2008, 05:25 AM\']
These local NBC O&O's getting saddled with this better pray that syndie Deal delivers quickly, otherwise both will end up buried in overnight quickly.
[/quote]
What do you mean 'will be'?  MGC is already on at 1:35 AM here!  On a network who's lead-in to Price is an infomercial!

And I do think it would help a lot if the spoilers played Rounds 1 and 2 instead of Rounds 2 and 3...that way, the better contestant of the last two has a better chance to win.  Also, it always seemed really, really wrong that this is one of the few (only?) game shows that added contestants along the way instead of eliminating them.

trainman

« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2008, 12:50:04 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'176401\' date=\'Jan 27 2008, 03:25 AM\']Congradulations on having your Second Season buried at 1:35am on 'most of this NBC stations'.

These local NBC O&O's getting saddled with this better pray that syndie Deal delivers quickly, otherwise both will end up buried in overnight quickly.
[/quote]

Assuming they're not going to pre-empt the 3:05 A.M. Conan O'Brien rerun, the NBC O&O's on the coasts can't bury both shows overnight...they only have a half hour of non-network time available, from 4:00 to 4:30.
trainman is a man of trains

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2008, 04:40:36 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'176631\' date=\'Jan 29 2008, 09:50 PM\']
Assuming they're not going to pre-empt the 3:05 A.M. Conan O'Brien rerun, the NBC O&O's on the coasts can't bury both shows overnight...they only have a half hour of non-network time available, from 4:00 to 4:30.[/quote]
I dunno about the O&Os, but I know here in Seattle, Carson Daly ends, and then there is an hour of infomercials before Poker After Dark, which runs right into Early Today.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Scrabbleship

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2008, 09:36:06 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'176636\' date=\'Jan 30 2008, 04:40 AM\']
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'176631\' date=\'Jan 29 2008, 09:50 PM\']
Assuming they're not going to pre-empt the 3:05 A.M. Conan O'Brien rerun, the NBC O&O's on the coasts can't bury both shows overnight...they only have a half hour of non-network time available, from 4:00 to 4:30.[/quote]
I dunno about the O&Os, but I know here in Seattle, Carson Daly ends, and then there is an hour of infomercials before Poker After Dark, which runs right into Early Today.
[/quote]

I think that the O&O's have to clear NBC's wee-hours programming, IIRC.

Here in Albany, we don't get any of NBC's wee-hours programming. Instead we get an infomercial, an ET rerun, a rerun of the 11:00 news, and 20 minutes of superfluous "sign-off" time where they pipe in Weather Plus.

/Back to the original topic, Crosswords has it easy here.
//Unless going against Guiding Light, the unnecessary waste 4th hour of Today, Tyra, Maury, and an infomercial isn't easy.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:39:18 AM by Scrabbleship »

uncamark

« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2008, 12:35:01 PM »
"The Doctors" is the "Dr. Phil" spinoff show with a panel of various medical types offering their assistance and consultation with guests.  CBS Distribution has it running shotgun with Quick Draw McGraw on a lot of the same stations, although in Chicago it will be on WCIU instead of WBBM due to lack of space.

That's the same reason WCIU airs "The Insider" instead of WBBM in Chicago.

/Do I need to say who the host and star of "The Insider" is?
//What a guy.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2008, 01:23:19 PM »
Small tweaks in the new season, eh? Bear with me, as I'm only an occasional watcher - but I would think that one logical round 2 tweak that could be done without radically altering either the current game play or set could be that if one of the main two contestants is incorrect, the turn automatically goes to the opponent first. If no correct answer, the spoilers can participate. I'm also debating the logic (if any) of a "two strikes and out" for a spoiler/podium. For the most part, I'm noting the spoilers are usually successful in their steals because of the main two contestants eliminating other possibilities through bad guesses and also having a few more seconds to think things out. But no matter what, there's no risk in trying to steal a main podium. Now let's say if a spoiler buzzes in and is incorrect, either by direct answer, incorrect spelling, or the time's up signal, that spoiler's podium is lit up with a strike (X). Whoever is behind that podium and gives the next incorrect answer is out of the game - potentially diminishing the number of spoilers and creating drama. Does the spoiler at the podium with one X want to risk buzzing in if not 100% sure? This would give the two contestants at the main podiums better chances at staying on board. True, a spoiler could still answer one question and win the game, but there could be more drama. Just some thoughts. Have at 'em.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 02:07:09 PM by The Ol' Guy »

BrandonFG

« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2008, 01:30:37 PM »
I thought of another one. Time after time, I've seen a spoiler answer the one question/clue correctly, and walk down as the time's up bell synth-cue plays, that being the only right answer they gave all game. How about forcing a spoiler to answer a follow-up question to get the podium, similar to an Extra, except no money risked.

Either that, or just make it so that it's three contestants from the start. They play a round similar to the show's first round, but on a time limit (either 10-15 words or say, 3:00). The two leading contestants take the center podia, the third player becomes the spoiler and works their way to the front.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

sshuffield70

« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2008, 02:17:30 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'176661\' date=\'Jan 30 2008, 12:35 PM\']
"The Doctors" is the "Dr. Phil" spinoff show with a panel of various medical types offering their assistance and consultation with guests.  CBS Distribution has it running shotgun with Quick Draw McGraw on a lot of the same stations, although in Chicago it will be on WCIU instead of WBBM due to lack of space.

That's the same reason WCIU airs "The Insider" instead of WBBM in Chicago.

/Do I need to say who the host and star of "The Insider" is?
//What a guy.
[/quote]

Pat rulz!!  JK

I actually knew "The Doctors" was a "Dr. Phil" spinoff.  Couldn't resist the jab though. :)