Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "The New Price Is Right is all wrong"  (Read 7206 times)

tpirfan28

"The New Price Is Right is all wrong"
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2007, 03:16:55 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'167564\' date=\'Oct 22 2007, 02:03 AM\']
A lot of us here like him. Does that mean the majority of the show's viewers are going to? Not necessarily. If they don't, that's their opinion. You can disagree, but instantly going to the fanb0i label is not only misguided, it's downright idiotic.
[/quote]
I would like to disagree.  There's a fine line between the two, and it can be crossed.

- Being critical of Drew's performance is alright (him always touching his jacket pocket, not being 100% clear to the contestants on rules,  his reveals, etc) because it's little things that can be worked on, and, damnit, it's his bits of his first six weeks on the job after a legend.

- It's when you get into the "Well Bob Barker isn't on the show anymore so I won't watch" or "Bob did things this way or that way and Drew doesn't do it that way so it's wrong" or "Drew is the WORST person they could have hired" is utter idiotic and should be slapped with either idiot or Barker fanb0i.

And to Clementson:  You're in SoCal, right?  I'd assume you are away from the fires?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

dzinkin

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2007, 04:51:53 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'167564\' date=\'Oct 22 2007, 02:03 AM\']
A lot of us here like him. Does that mean the majority of the show's viewers are going to? Not necessarily. If they don't, that's their opinion. You can disagree, but instantly going to the fanb0i label is not only misguided, it's downright idiotic.
[/quote]
Would it be idiotic to call anyone who doesn't like Drew's hosting a "fanb0i"?  Absolutely.  But that's not even close to what's happening, and you know it.

Is there a clearly defined process by which any post can be analyzed and thus judged "Fanb0i or Not Fanb0i"?  (Now there's a game show concept.)  Of course not.  But a good rule of thumb is that the more hyperbolic the rhetoric, and the less concrete evidence used to justify said rhetoric, the closer to "fanb0i" the commenter gets.  This guy is treating the transition from Bob to Drew as just short of a crime against nature and is basing his opinion on... well, absolutely nothing concrete.

I have yet to see a well-reasoned "I don't think Drew is doing well as host because..." post.  Given what routinely passes for Price debate nowadays ("Drew will use filthy language on air just as he does in standup," "Bob was like my second father," and so on and so forth) — and more importantly, the fact that most reasonable people will give Drew a reasonable chance before making that conclusion in the first place — I'm thinking that it will take some time before we see one.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2007, 05:02:38 PM »
Maybe there isn't a reasonable argument yet.

But the ONE post I saw that was critical of Drew had the person instantly labeled as a fanb0i. Whether the person (bellbm) can actually be called one, I don't know. But I know that others would jump down any critical person of Drew's throat and call them a fanboy (that's how it's spelled, I'm sick of the Avril Lavigne-style abbreviation), and I don't think that's fair.

Maybe there are others who are critical, and they don't want to post out of fear of being labeled fanboyish.

(And just for the record, still have yet to see a Drew episode, so I have no opinion yet. No TiVo, DVR, DVD recorder, or working VCR, don't go there.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

tpirfan28

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2007, 05:07:59 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'167616\' date=\'Oct 22 2007, 05:02 PM\']
(And just for the record, still have yet to see a Drew episode, so I have no opinion yet. No TiVo, DVR, DVD recorder, or working VCR, don't go there.)
[/quote]
Got broadband Internet?  http://www.cbs.com/innertube/ .  Greatest thing since the DVR. :)
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2007, 05:14:31 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'167617\' date=\'Oct 22 2007, 05:07 PM\']
[/quote]
Got broadband Internet?  http://www.cbs.com/innertube/ .  Greatest thing since the DVR. :)
[/quote]

Also, my computer sucks and won't let me download the Flash I need.

Otherwise, I'd be on that like white on rice.

(Why I chose that cliche, I don't know.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

dzinkin

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2007, 05:21:25 PM »
But the ONE post I saw that was critical of Drew had the person instantly labeled as a fanb0i. Whether the person (bellbm) can actually be called one, I don't know.
[/quote]
By your own admission, you haven't seen the show, so you have no idea if bellbm's critique has any validity, and yet you're attacking those who criticized him in turn.  Bellbm's post was criticized because, based on one show, he declared that
Drew is not a game show host, never will be, will never have the charisma Bob had
It's the "hyperbolic" thing I mentioned.

But I know that others would jump down any critical person of Drew's throat and call them a fanboy (that's how it's spelled, I'm sick of the Avril Lavigne-style abbreviation), and I don't think that's fair.
Certainly, "others" would.  Most of us wouldn't, and I'm confident that those who did would be slammed in turn.  We've always welcomed opinion based in reason and fact, even when the opinion disagrees with the majority, and I don't think it's fair for you to lump us in with the "others" you mention when you have nothing to justify that assertion.  (Frankly, it smacks of John Chartier, who once claimed — similarly with no justification — that he "knew" that Randy West could post whatever he wanted here and get away with it.)

And as for the spelling, I don't recall anyone forcing you to use it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:25:03 PM by dzinkin »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2007, 08:19:21 PM »
John Chartier, who once claimed — similarly with no justification — that he "knew" that Randy West could post whatever he wanted here and get away with it.
Randy pretty much can post whatever he wants here because we know he uses good judgement when he posts.

Like duh!

ChuckNet

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2007, 12:38:06 AM »
I have yet to see a well-reasoned "I don't think Drew is doing well as host because..." post. Given what routinely passes for Price debate nowadays ("Drew will use filthy language on air just as he does in standup," "Bob was like my second father," and so on and so forth) — and more importantly, the fact that most reasonable people will give Drew a reasonable chance before making that conclusion in the first place — I'm thinking that it will take some time before we see one.

Yeah, really...sample "criticisms" of Drew's PiR on Facebook and elsewhere have included such gems as:

- "It doesn't sound natural when Rich says 'Well, Drew...', compared to 'Well, Bob...'."
- "Saying 'Oh Mighty SFX People' during One Away eats up time and is unnecessary."
- "He jumped along w/a contestant, Bob would never do that!"

Can we say "grasping @ straws"?

Chuck Donegan (The Astounded "Chuckie Baby")

Steve McClellan

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2007, 01:07:13 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Oct 22 2007, 09:38 PM\']- "It doesn't sound natural when Rich says 'Well, Drew...', compared to 'Well, Bob...'."[/quote]
Has anything Rich has ever said on the show sounded natural?

Millionaire81

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2007, 07:56:30 AM »
Has anything Rich has ever said on the show sounded natural?

He vomited once.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2007, 11:48:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Millionaire81\' post=\'167643\' date=\'Oct 23 2007, 04:56 AM\']
He vomited once.
[/quote]
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/2707/20...chardsonik0.jpg

Approves
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com