Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Hole in the Wall"  (Read 7356 times)

clanky06

"Hole in the Wall"
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 09:31:51 PM »
ULTRA QUIZ SAGA CONTINUES

Unfortunately, Jeannie passed away a few years ago, a victim of breast cancer. I still have her Ultra Quiz contestant name tag, and would be willing to donate it to a deserving collector.

Jeannie appeared on Whew!, paired with an equally large celebrity, and she said she could hardly breathe in the contestant "box." She was also involved with a horse racing theme based game show produced by Bill Carruthers and pitched to NBC. It was to be broadcast live, but NBC passed on it, saying that live broadcasts were too risky. I guess the Ultra Quiz final was the last major live game show broadcast. Right?

Here's a bit of OT to cap this off. Jeannie was a pastor's wife, and a missionary who had served in the Orient gave a talk in which she mentioned that chicken feet are considered a real delicacy. This created a running "chicken feet" joke among Jeannie and her friends. Fast forward to Jeannie's return home after her Ultra Quiz adventure. My wife and I had a bunch of people over to the house for ice cream sundaes to celebrate Jeannie's successes in getting as far as she did. But guess what we buried in her sundae! You got it. We all watched Jeannie eat her sundae, doing all we could to suppress our giggles. When Jeannie finally discovered her "buried treasure" we all howled; everybody but Jeannie that is!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 09:33:48 PM by clanky06 »

MikeK

• Martha!
"Hole in the Wall"
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 09:46:28 PM »
[quote name=\'clanky06\' post=\'166110\' date=\'Oct 9 2007, 09:31 PM\']I guess the Ultra Quiz final was the last major live game show broadcast.[/quote]
Paranoia's episodes were live.

/OK, so the premiere was major for me.
//Still have the eMachine tower even though it hasn't been used in over 18 months.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
"Hole in the Wall"
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 10:56:21 PM »
[quote name=\'clanky06\' post=\'166064\' date=\'Oct 9 2007, 10:53 AM\']The final championship round was televised live from the NBC studios November 17, 1981. [/quote]I'd like some closure: what did the championship entail?

And for that matter, was each round "a quiz that happens to be contested in an exotic city"?

/Was all of 14 months old when it aired
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Hole in the Wall"
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 11:23:40 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'166444\' date=\'Oct 11 2007, 07:56 PM\']
I'd like some closure: what did the championship entail?[/quote]
A straight back-and-forth quiz, if I remember rightly.
And for that matter, was each round "a quiz that happens to be contested in an exotic city"?
Yeah, pretty much. There were no location-based games, if that's what you're getting at. Everything could have been done in a studio with no loss in actual gameplay.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe