The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

J! first season question

(1/3) > >>

ChuckNet:
During that initial 84-85 season, there were several occasions (as per ex-researcher Harry Eisenberg's book), where only one contestant was eligible for Final J! because the other 2 players finished Double J! in the red...was there ever an ep where NO ONE was eligible?

Chuck Donegan (The Curious \"Chuckie Baby\")

Robert Hutchinson:
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Sep 23 2003, 11:57 PM\']During that initial 84-85 season, there were several occasions (as per ex-researcher Harry Eisenberg's book), where only one contestant was eligible for Final J! because the other 2 players finished Double J! in the red...was there ever an ep where NO ONE was eligible?[/quote]
I'm going to make an educated guess of \"no\". With all the talk of FJ! only ending in a 0-0-0 tie twice ever, I think that would've come up by now.

zachhoran:
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Sep 23 2003, 11:57 PM\'] During that initial 84-85 season, there were several occasions (as per ex-researcher Harry Eisenberg's book), where only one contestant was eligible for Final J! because the other 2 players finished Double J! in the red...was there ever an ep where NO ONE was eligible?

Chuck Donegan (The Curious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 There was never an episode(at least in the Trebek era) where no one was eligible for Final J!. There were a couple of occasions with only one person playing Final J!, I recall one in the first Trebek season, and one in the second season. None have occurred since season two AFAIK. When such a scenario occurred, the player's wager was revealed BEFORE their FJ! response.

Matt Ottinger:
The fact that they had so many eliminated players in the early going is what led them to institute just about the biggest rule change from the original version.  Originally (with Fleming and the first season of Trebek), you could buzz in as soon as the clue was revealed.  What you were doing is basically gambling that you would know the correct response even before you saw the clue.  Lots of people did that, but of course if you didn't know the answer, you were left there looking stupid.

A smart player (Chuck Forrest comes to mind) could monopolize the game by just ringing in for everything and taking his chances on the few he'd miss.  Now, of course, you only buzz in if you think you know, so there are a lot less time-wasting wrong answers (more precisely, there are fewer \"I don't know\" responses) and fewer negative scores.

NickintheATL:
Since that rule got implemented starting with season two, how could Zach's post be valid unless total disaster happened with two players?

I also think another contributing factor as to why 2 players would finish in the red like that on the Trebek version is because of the increased dollar values over the Fleming version ($200-$1000 compared to $20-$100), if it wasn't the buzzing scheme the 2nd time it happened (if it did), then it must have been either the one player on a run or some very bad answers on the other 2 players' part.

Just guessing...
Nicholas J. Mooneyhan
http://mooneyhan2.home.comcast.net/gameshow/
Re-Open for business!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version