Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune pinball machine  (Read 5420 times)

Matt Ottinger

Wheel of Fortune pinball machine
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007, 06:24:42 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'165738\' date=\'Oct 6 2007, 04:18 PM\']
Yeeee ouch.  I call for yer bannantion. :)[/quote]
I would, but it's just such a damn funny line.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvwxman

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 06:27:44 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'165732\' date=\'Oct 6 2007, 03:56 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'165730\' date=\'Oct 6 2007, 12:35 PM\']
I remember when you got three plays for a quarter, thank you very much.
[/quote]
Did they have balls then, or were you smacking around a really round rock? :D
[/quote]
As a not-so-young-guy anymore, who grew up on old-school rotary-scoring pinball....that was damn funny.

Line o' The Day awarded.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

TimK2003

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2007, 07:00:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'165730\' date=\'Oct 6 2007, 03:35 PM\']
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'165710\' date=\'Oct 6 2007, 11:20 AM\']
Cool... but 75 cents a play?  Ouch!  That would be an awesome centerpiece for a game room.  Remember when games cost a quarter?  [/quote]
I remember when you got three plays for a quarter, thank you very much.

--A much older "Matt"
[/quote]

Matt, you made me look older than you!  I remember going up to the local Uncle Bill's discount store in Cleveland in the first half of the 70s and was able to play pinball games for either a nickel or a dime!!!  And you got 5 balls per game!!!

If any of you ever come out to (or pass through) Colorado, the Front Range has 2 excellent pinball arcades with many of the classics on either side of Denver:  Lyons Classic Pinball in Lyons, west of Boulder and the Arcade Amusements in Downtown Manitou Springs, just West of Colorado Springs.

Both places are high on my "to do" list, but either one is about a 5-hour drive for me (grrr...) in good weather.

And that was pretty much my summer vacation enjoyments when I was a kid:  Pinball & Game Shows!

NickS

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2007, 08:23:30 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'165726\' date=\'Oct 6 2007, 01:59 PM\']
Okay, but don't blame the designers for that; that amount is settable by the machine's operator. I'd be VERY surprised if the minimum for a credit was 3 coins.

/hopefully it'll show up for Visual PinMAME soon and I can find out
[/quote]

Unfortunately, IIRC, there's an embargo after a new game comes out.  It took awhile for Monopoly to be ported to VPinMAME after it was released.

That said, I'm excited nonetheless.  Around here there really aren't any more arcades anymore.  The closest to me would be the Woodfield Gameworks.

/I miss e-m scoring reels
//Jack*Bot FTW
///Wonder if there'll be a TPiR machine now that Drew's in the picture

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 10:56:03 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'165751\' date=\'Oct 6 2007, 07:00 PM\']Matt, you made me look older than you!  I remember going up to the local Uncle Bill's discount store in Cleveland in the first half of the 70s and was able to play pinball games for either a nickel or a dime!!!  And you got 5 balls per game!!![/quote]
I mention every now and then that I was once really good friends with this guy.  We've lost touch (I'm afraid I cost him some money on a business deal that went south, and our friendship never really recovered), but I have some wonderful memories of playing many of his classic games.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Sodboy13

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 01:50:02 AM »
My God, this thread has made me realize how much I miss pinball.  I grew up in the '80s and '90s piddling away my quarters on pins while my friends were all up in the Street Fighter II Ultra Turbo Alpha Champion Edition or whatever.  And now, even at the few arcades left, the lone pinball machine (if there is one) is the dirty little secret, poorly maintained with a bum flipper and half its lights out in an out-of-the-way corner.  I was at a store the other day, and as part of the kitschy retro charm vibe they were going for, they had a Rollergames machine set up for display.  Took all I had not to hug it and beg the clerk to plug it in.

/Ah, High Speed and PinBot.
//And of a more recent vintage, Cirqus Voltaire and South Park.
///What's this vPinMAME all aboot?
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

davemackey

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 06:50:11 AM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'165710\' date=\'Oct 6 2007, 11:20 AM\']
Cool... but 75 cents a play?  Ouch!
[/quote]
Stern introduced its new pricing plan with its "Spider-Man" game that came out a few months ago. The last one off the line with factory set 50c pricing was "Family Guy", which is a "freakin' sweet" game.

But I'm so excited about this new WOF machine, I just may call my local Stern distrib and see if we can work a trade for a couple of the old games sitting in my garage (plus some cash... two old games can't overcome the $4300 or so purchase price).

To those asking about a VPinMAME version, the embargo period is three years after a game is released. I'm still waiting for a port of "The Sopranos", which I hear is due in the spring. So, if you want your WOF, wait till 2010, if they're still even using VPinMAME by then.

/I wind up hitting the Lois target more than others
//Giggity

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2007, 11:01:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'165792\' date=\'Oct 7 2007, 01:50 AM\']///What's this vPinMAME all aboot?[/quote]
If VPinMAME is anything like regular MAME, it's an arcade pinball emulation program.  (IIRC, MAME does arcade video games)

At least it's not $1 a play.
This signature is currently under construction.

Robair

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2007, 01:18:28 PM »
The real hardcore pin simmers are now using something called Future Pinball, which really works well if you have a screamingly fast machine with great graphics and processor capabilty. One advantage to Future is that the ball can't go through the flippers.

/"Arte! You let the ball go through the flippers again!"
//"Can I have my dime back, Art?"
///(in a German accent)
--Robair

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2007, 01:58:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' post=\'165830\' date=\'Oct 7 2007, 10:18 AM\']
The real hardcore pin simmers are now using something called Future Pinball, which really works well if you have a screamingly fast machine with great graphics and processor capabilty. One advantage to Future is that the ball can't go through the flippers.
[/quote]
Ooh. Didn't know about this. I'm going to head out to the living room and install it.

Do people emulate commercial tables with this, though? The appear of VPinMAME to me is the ability to play Twilight Zone and Addams Family and JackBot and such...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

davemackey

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2007, 05:22:20 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'165834\' date=\'Oct 7 2007, 01:58 PM\']
[quote name=\'Robair\' post=\'165830\' date=\'Oct 7 2007, 10:18 AM\']
[/quote]
Ooh. Didn't know about this. I'm going to head out to the living room and install it.

Do people emulate commercial tables with this, though? The appear of VPinMAME to me is the ability to play Twilight Zone and Addams Family and JackBot and such...
[/quote]
Seems to me most of the Future Pinball sims are EM's (non computerized machines). I don't think they've gotten to the point where they can marry it to MAME just yet. You'll have go to VPinMAME if you want to play TZ or TAF or JackBot (a nice machine).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 05:22:44 PM by davemackey »

clanky06

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2007, 12:24:24 AM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned one other famous (infamous?) game show-pinball connection—The Magnificant Marble Machine on NBC 1975-1976. And some arcades featured a giant pinball machine about the same time. The Hawthorne Mall (LA area) for one had one. Incidentally, the Hawthorne mall has been boarded up for some time now.

clemon79

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2007, 03:50:12 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'165850\' date=\'Oct 7 2007, 02:22 PM\']
You'll have go to VPinMAME if you want to play TZ or TAF or JackBot (a nice machine).
[/quote]
Fortunately, I already have that working. Alas, not so much with FP...I installed it, launched a table, and it doesn't act turned on, nor does it respond to any keyboard commands. Ah well.

clemon79

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 03:53:49 AM »
[quote name=\'clanky06\' post=\'165884\' date=\'Oct 7 2007, 09:24 PM\']
I'm surprised no one has mentioned one other famous (infamous?) game show-pinball connection—The Magnificant Marble Machine on NBC 1975-1976.[/quote]
Mainly because it's been covered quite a lot before you joined us. It's kinda implied at this point.
And some arcades featured a giant pinball machine about the same time.
Yep. Hercules. Unrelated to the game show, tho.

clanky06

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2007, 10:44:29 AM »
I'm sure just about everything "Game Show" has been discussed before!