Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: drew on TPIR  (Read 12216 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
drew on TPIR
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2007, 11:40:20 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'165602\' date=\'Oct 5 2007, 03:27 AM\']
But when Mark Odor, or anyone else,
[/quote]
Anyone else?

Dude, how do you manage to stay on the canvas, painting like that?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

drew on TPIR
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2007, 11:48:06 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'165610\' date=\'Oct 5 2007, 11:40 AM\']
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'165602\' date=\'Oct 5 2007, 03:27 AM\']
But when Mark Odor, or anyone else,
[/quote]
Anyone else?

Dude, how do you manage to stay on the canvas, painting like that?
[/quote]
Did you actually read beyond that?

You accused me of slamming all of the criticism of Rich when I didn't (and still haven't).  If you still think that I'm doing that, I'm not the least bit surprised at your reaction.  Again, it's the proportionality.  For the record, the "BS" to which I referred was Mark's refusal to grant that any of the criticism might be based on something other than Rich's talent, not any criticism of Rich whatsoever.

(I will grant that Mark's not a great example, since I'm still waiting to hear of a game show or game show personality that he actually likes.)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 11:53:48 AM by dzinkin »

tpirfan28

drew on TPIR
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2007, 12:10:23 PM »
To steer this sucker away from Rich...

During today's CBS credit roll, they showed a promo for Price, which included some generic contestant clips.  It looks like the contestants love him (or just really excited they still get win a new car).
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

uncamark

drew on TPIR
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2007, 12:50:30 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'165618\' date=\'Oct 5 2007, 11:10 AM\']
To steer this sucker away from Rich...

During today's CBS credit roll, they showed a promo for Price, which included some generic contestant clips.  It looks like the contestants love him (or just really excited they still get win a new car).
[/quote]

They could put John Wayne Gacy out there, but as long as they could win A NEW CAR!, they'll be excited.

MTCesquire

drew on TPIR
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2007, 04:41:57 PM »
During the first commercial break of today's "Bold & The Beautiful" (I was channel surfing, I swear... :-), they showed a quick promo touting a "new set, new excitement, and a new host".  Then I hear cheers over sustained dings, but the dings sounded way different than the old-school MG package.  Looks like the SFX package got an upgrade, too.

BrandonFG

drew on TPIR
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2007, 04:46:40 PM »
[quote name=\'MTCesquire\' post=\'165642\' date=\'Oct 5 2007, 04:41 PM\']
Then I hear cheers over sustained dings, but the dings sounded way different than the old-school MG package.  Looks like the SFX package got an upgrade, too.
[/quote]
That might just be generic game show SFX. IIRC, during the Drew preview video (from "The Insider"), they still used the old bells HIGHLIGHT: [color=\"white\"]when that guy won the Dodge Ram truck.[/color]
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MTCesquire

drew on TPIR
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2007, 05:20:16 PM »
Oh ok...I figured they were going all out and completely revamping, SFX and all.  Now would be the time to do it.

DrJWJustice

drew on TPIR
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2007, 08:51:21 PM »
[quote name=\'MTCesquire\' post=\'165651\' date=\'Oct 5 2007, 04:20 PM\']
Oh ok...I figured they were going all out and completely revamping, SFX and all.  Now would be the time to do it.
[/quote]
As I often say in class, "yes, but..."

The show can't be changed too much in terms of its visual or audial appearance, or viewers may not take to it.  Bob Barker repeatedly criticized TPiR'94 over its set, and I agreed with him when I watched it in first run. The pricing games were there, to be sure, but the atmosphere of the set was so different that it just wasn't TPiR to me.  I've seen the pix of the new set, and it does have differences, but it still 'feels' like TPiR.  

Someone could make the same argument for changing the host, but as we all know, Tom Kennedy had a relatively successful fun in an earlier night time incarnation, as did the late Dennis James.

davemackey

drew on TPIR
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2007, 10:33:39 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' post=\'165666\' date=\'Oct 5 2007, 08:51 PM\']
Someone could make the same argument for changing the host, but as we all know, Tom Kennedy had a relatively successful fun in an earlier night time incarnation, as did the late Dennis James.
[/quote]
Let's see, Tom Kennedy was Price host for how long? One season? Wouldn't call that relatively successful, as much as we like Tom Kennedy hosting anything.

Now Dennis James, he lasted a few more years; even so, they did put Barker in there near the end when he became available for syndication after the demise of "Truth or Consequences".

Robert Hutchinson

drew on TPIR
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2007, 01:04:39 AM »
To drag the conversation back to the contentious part, I'm tired of the anti-Rich-Fields hyperbole only because it's gotten so very old. The audience going nuts when Karn would double the points was awful, too, but 500 "OMG DOUBLE THE POINTS" jokes later, I know which one had become more annoying.

That said, I really don't see it just being a defense of Randy, as David has suggested. I detect roughly equal parts "defense of Randy", "reaction to TPIR fanboys", and "he really isn't good at all".

That said also, in the realm of calm presentation of opposing viewpoints, I just can't elevate Rich Fields' work on TPIR higher than "passable". He can read without getting tongue-tied, and he understands that excitement is called for in certain situations. But his cadence and style just grate on me--it seems like he's got a very skewed perspective on what makes a good announcer, in several areas. I would rank Burton ahead of him because A) his puking is really the only obstacle to his TPIR work being very good, and B) he has proven that he's capable of not puking.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
drew on TPIR
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2007, 02:11:28 AM »
He isn't Johnny O, but who is?
1. Jay Stewart
2. Kenny Williams
3. Charlie O'Donnell
4. Johnny Gilbert

Randy Amasia used to tell stories about his acquaintanceship with Kenny Williams which developed when Randy visited the H-Q shows. By Randy's account he "couldn't have been nicer". Kenny is underrated, IMO, perhaps because he doesn't get as much exposure on GSN as others do.

Rich is a good performer. The problem is, he doesn't know how to approach TPIR. Last year he taped a segment for Game Show Marathon in which the Big Wheel was being moved out of studio 33. He was pretty good when he was being Rich Fields. When he does TPIR he stops being Rich Fields and starts being the love child of Rod Roddy and Jerry Lewis on crack (now there's a sight to behold). If he would give up the puking and the screeching and just be enthusiastic Rich it would be a great improvement. Somebody needs to take him aside and tell him that. As it stands now, I have a difficult time watching TPIR and it's 100% due to Rich Fields.

OK, not 100%. Gotta leave room for Bart's directing.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 02:53:05 AM by chris319 »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
drew on TPIR
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2007, 03:50:40 PM »
If you search YouTube for Rich Fields, watch the video where Bob formally announces Rich as the new announcer for the show. You get a "come on down" afterwards that's a stark contrast from the pukey ones we get now (see: not "come on DEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWN!!!!!").

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

DrJWJustice

drew on TPIR
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2007, 03:34:40 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'165672\' date=\'Oct 5 2007, 09:33 PM\']
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' post=\'165666\' date=\'Oct 5 2007, 08:51 PM\']
[/quote]
Let's see, Tom Kennedy was Price host for how long? One season? Wouldn't call that relatively successful, as much as we like Tom Kennedy hosting anything.

Now Dennis James, he lasted a few more years; even so, they did put Barker in there near the end when he became available for syndication after the demise of "Truth or Consequences".
[/quote]
Let us not forget that none of the moonlighters could hold a light to Barker.  What's Dennis James' "a few years" versus Barker's 35?  I'd call that a significant drop in the bucket, but what do I know?  I'm just a casual fan.  

I'd call Kennedy's run a success on grounds other than how long he lasted.  Seems to me he got good reviews at the time.  I also remember (at least in my then-hometown market) that he didn't get a time slot that would let him run more than a season.  

But, Dave, if you want to measure success in terms of how many seasons Drew will last, I'm not going to put a bunch of money on him -- or anyone else -- besting Barker's run.

DrBear

drew on TPIR
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2007, 07:07:57 AM »
Drew doesn't HAVE to equal or even come close to Barker.

A good multiple-year run will do it.

Look at Leno (especially) and Conan replacing Letterman. Both had bumpy starts but eventually found their own groove and have lasted for many years. Never will have what Carson did but nobody will in the modern TV universe.

One only hopes CBS gives him enough time to find himself on the show; if they do, I think he can have a run as long as he wants. Which probably will be less than 10 years.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Ian Wallis

drew on TPIR
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2007, 11:58:39 AM »
What's Dennis James' "a few years" versus Barker's 35? I'd call that a significant drop in the bucket, but what do I know? I'm just a casual fan.

I think it might have been Steve Beverly who mentioned the ratings for Dennis' nighttime Price really dropped after the first couple of years.  That's likely one reason why they got Bob to host starting in year six, but it didn't make a big difference as it was gone a couple of years later.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!